Hardwiring USB connection

Deleted member 46308

Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched for, and was unsuccessful in finding an answer. I ran the 12v plug wire that came with my dash cam into the rear door of my Rav4. I then wired a female power outlet in the cargo area behind the interior panel and plugged the power end of my USB cable into this outlet to give me power for my DashCam.

Everything works fine with my camera powering properly, and my DashCam working just fine. Is there a way I can run a new wire from the fuse box, using an Add-A-Circuit for a dedicated power wire thus not using the female plug that I have wired. Which, by the way is drawing its power from an auxiliary plug that was in the cargo area already. This is the point where I am now stuck in my mind. Can I still use the power cable that I have already ran inside of all that door trim in back of my car, or am I going to have to run a new wire? Can I simply cut that plug off and attach to the leads of a 12v - 5v converter with my USB cable?

I realize that most of this is non-sensical to folks who know what they are doing, but I really cannot wrap my mind around what I should do next. I am wanting to make this change because everything works now off the ACC on my ignition, and I want it to start instead when the vehicle starts. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to provide me.

I am wanting to make this change because everything works now off the ACC on my ignition, and I want it to start instead when the vehicle starts. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to provide me.

so you have it running permanently, not sure what you mean by everything works now off the ACC on my ignition

@jokiin thank you for your reply. The outlet where I tapped into to get my power starts when you turn your key to the first (ACC) position. Then of course, the next key position starts the vehicle. I was able to do the original wiring for the front windshield to my fuse box using an ADD-A-Circuit which I was able to utilize a fuse slot that only activated when I reached that second position with my key. Now, because of the length I was unable to use the same type of hardwire, so I installed it the way I previously described. I guess where I am stuck is can I cut the end of that USB cable off and splice whatever wire is inside to another 12v - 5v converter. Thus preserving my wiring that took me about 5 hours to put in the back of my Rav? Then I could utilize another fuse slot to get my desired results. Thanks for listening!

Don't cut the plug off, better to just get a female socket (auto parts stores sell them) and extend the cable to the fuse box

That is what I needed to know. My Street Guardian in that back window by the way, is simply outstanding. I am going to purchase another one for the front as soon as the updated ones come out. Thanks for giving me a hand!

Back