Has your GPS mount failed?

boilers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've tried everything I can think of to get GPS to work again. Has anyone else had a GPS mount work at first, then quit working?

What is the cheapest source for a replacement? I assume that it does not matter if one purchases the GPS mount from the same seller. But, correct me if I'm wrong. They appear to be commodity items for these 0801's; whereas the unit themselves are unique in assembly and firmwares.

So, your reply means that across all legitimate 0801 sellers, the GPS mounts are or should be interchangeable? Furthermore, the source/seller then inconsequential?
I purchased my 0801 GPS/8 internal from e-prance.
At first, the GPS did not work alone with the internal memory regardless of all the permutations of settings I could think to throw at it.
Putting in a Kingston 4GB, Class4 card, did in fact get the GPS to show up in the software.
Then the next time I tried to run the software, no luck. As it stands now, I have the latest firmware from e-Prance, and have again tried various cards. No GPS. I get no velocity readout while moving, either, directly on the unit. And no GPS, it goes to reason, on the software as well.
Would I be logically incorrect to conclude that the GPS mount has failed?

So, your reply means that across all legitimate 0801 sellers, the GPS mounts are or should be interchangeable? Furthermore, the source/seller then inconsequential?
I purchased my 0801 GPS/8 internal from e-prance.
At first, the GPS did not work alone with the internal memory regardless of all the permutations of settings I could think to throw at it.
Putting in a Kingston 4GB, Class4 card, did in fact get the GPS to show up in the software.

GPS mounts are the same, I've heard reports of GPS not working on the internal card but I'm not aware of this issue personally, not sure if that's a hardware or firmware issue

Are you running power via the bracket or plugged directly to the camera?

power to mount...

7lnh.png

then I would agree it's a GPS issue/failure, talk to the seller, perhaps they'll send you a replacement

I am/have been. Just taking time to state/make my case, it seems.

My GPS mount failed too, had to replace it. It got power, but GPS signal didn't make it to either one of my 0801's

My GPS mount failed too, had to replace it. It got power, but GPS signal didn't make it to either one of my 0801's
Sounds exactly like what I experienced. The mount itself is only $19 on ebay; from eprance.
They sent me an email today something to the effect "Holiday weekend here in China. Will be in touch next week."
I have to smile, as it starts with salutation "It's Maryanne"... and closes with valediction "Sincerely, Nancy" (A for effort) :)

Yes. One of my 7 GPS mounts has failed. I tracked the problem to an internal voltage regulator. If you want to attempt the repair yourself, a good part number at Digi-Key would be LP2985AIM5X-3.3/NOPBCT-ND . They run 91 cents each... plus some shipping. You need to be decent at soldering to attempt this surface component replacement. I'm sending mine in for replacement with the seller, but I am ordering some regulators to have on hand for replacement after warranty runs out. I feel this will be a common failure point in the GPS bases.

BTW - The regulator part number from Digi-Key is a much better quality than the installed component. Using the Texas Instruments regulator will eliminate this weak point.

Thanks for the info and support. I certainly would not shy away from a necessary/good reason to heat up the Weller iron. But, I feel I should not have to with a new product. I'm still awaiting their response.

I've tried everything I can think of to get GPS to work again. Has anyone else had a GPS mount work at first, then quit working?

What is the cheapest source for a replacement? I assume that it does not matter if one purchases the GPS mount from the same seller. But, correct me if I'm wrong. They appear to be commodity items for these 0801's; whereas the unit themselves are unique in assembly and firmwares.
I've given up getting eprance to replace. Talking to a wall.
So, I just ordered another gps mount from other vendor.

Not a good advertisement for eprance!

Not a good advertisement for eprance!
It's bang in the middle of Spring Festival. You'd not expect a reply from a UK supplier on Christmas day!

I purchased a new GPS Mount from ebay seller fonestop. Got it blazingly quickly.
Tested it out with previously purchased eprance 0801. Worked perfectly.
Contacted eprance with this information.
Long story short... eprance has refunded me some of my purchase price.
Some, because it was a bundled mount+camera purchase.
So, I got back about two thirds of the price I had to pay for the new, functioning mount from ebay seller fonestop.
Good 'enough' eventual outcome from eprance. Though, if I charged by the hour for all my replies, testing, what-ifs... I'd be down by about $200, I estimate. Time is money.

Where is the GPS module located, is it in the camera or in the support from the windshield (where you plug the camera) ?

The 0801's gps is in the window/windshield mount. It's fixed now the purchase of a new one from fonestop.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Mini 0801 4
Esteid Mini 0801 4
Tobi@s Mini 0801 13
A Mini 0801 0
K Mini 0801 1
Back