HELP deciding on a camera set-up...

Dustinbowlz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
so I have been very close to purchasing the a blackvue cam, but after reading so many issues I am hesitating. Here is what I am looking for, a forward facing cam to capture the front of my car, a rear facing cam to capture the back, and a camera inside to capture the passengers in my car. I am going to start driving for Uber and want to protect myself. I was just about to purchase the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH-IR, and the Blackvue DR650GW-1CH. I would have the 2 DR650GW's out my windshield and rear window and the IR camera on the inside of my car. What do you guys think? It is a lot of money for me to spend and I would rather hear from others and see if maybe there is something better out there, perhaps more reliable and affordable.

Thanks!

for 2 channel I would look at Lukas, better performance and more stable

for internal use look at using a C lens Mobius

Hello,
so I have been very close to purchasing the a blackvue cam, but after reading so many issues I am hesitating. Here is what I am looking for, a forward facing cam to capture the front of my car, a rear facing cam to capture the back, and a camera inside to capture the passengers in my car. I am going to start driving for Uber and want to protect myself. I was just about to purchase the Blackvue DR650GW-2CH-IR, and the Blackvue DR650GW-1CH. I would have the 2 DR650GW's out my windshield and rear window and the IR camera on the inside of my car. What do you guys think? It is a lot of money for me to spend and I would rather hear from others and see if maybe there is something better out there, perhaps more reliable and affordable.

Thanks!

Which state do you live in? I'd make sure that recording is permitted so you don't have to tell each passenger as they enter the car. What kind of car is all of this going in? Making sure everything is hidden and secure might be a good idea; depending on what type of Uber driving you plan to do.

I live in Oregon, I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. I don't mind telling each passenger that there is a recording device, I will even put a sticker on my window. As for the type of driving I plan on doing, I am not sure. I haven't even driven yet, I just had foot surgery last week so it'll be a week or two before I am even able to drive. I am just going to do it for some extra cash while I am off work. See how it goes. If all goes well, I'll do it part time once I go back to work.

for 2 channel I would look at Lukas, better performance and more stable

for internal use look at using a C lens Mobius

I was looking at the Lukas LK-7950, but I like the size of it. Also, I thought that the blackvue won out in the side by side comparison. Perhaps I am wrong though, hence why I am looking for advice. I will take a closer look. Is there a particular model you think is best? Also, do I need to buy IR lights to illuminate the inside of my car if I get the C lens Mobius? That is what I like about the blackvue, because it has the IR lights incorporated in it. I even got to thinking about getting the DR650GW-2CH-IR Truck version, and modifying the camera to put inside my car, instead of on the back of a truck. What do you think of that idea? Foolish?

I live in Oregon, I drive a 2011 Hyundai Sonata limited. I don't mind telling each passenger that there is a recording device, I will even put a sticker on my window. As for the type of driving I plan on doing, I am not sure. I haven't even driven yet, I just had foot surgery last week so it'll be a week or two before I am even able to drive. I am just going to do it for some extra cash while I am off work. See how it goes. If all goes well, I'll do it part time once I go back to work.

Oregon law doesn't require you to tell the passengers you are recording audio, however if you plan to record video inside you'll want to look into that, though I think the same law applies.

I'm Uber "certified" and I am wondering why you want to go so overboard on cams. Something to consider is you won't always have just one passenger who will sit up front; they will often sit in the back so depending on where your interior cam is pointed it may not always be of use.

It sounds like what you want is a Taxi setup - something with night vision for inside the cab so you don't have to have extra lights etc. If you plan to drive at night you'll want a front face camera with good night recording. Before spending a boat load on cameras, I would first start driving PDX during the day and see if you like it and go from there.

Oregon law doesn't require you to tell the passengers you are recording audio, however if you plan to record video inside you'll want to look into that, though I think the same law applies.

I'm Uber "certified" and I am wondering why you want to go so overboard on cams. Something to consider is you won't always have just one passenger who will sit up front; they will often sit in the back so depending on where your interior cam is pointed it may not always be of use.

It sounds like what you want is a Taxi setup - something with night vision for inside the cab so you don't have to have extra lights etc. If you plan to drive at night you'll want a front face camera with good night recording. Before spending a boat load on cameras, I would first start driving PDX during the day and see if you like it and go from there.

Thank you! I know, I am totally going crazy with this dash cam ordeal! I have been wanting a dash cam for some time, and now I have a viable reason to have one. I am wanting a dash cam to record the inside of my car for the night time driving- if I end up picking up people after the bar and whatnot. You're absolutely right though, I should wait and see if I even do that driving. I may not.

I think I am going so overboard with this is because I am have too much time on my hands. LOL. I am sitting at home healing and most definitely over-thinking this driving gig. What started out as just a simple dash cam inquiry on google has turned into a ridiculous obsession with wanting to find the absolute best set up and best camera. I'm sure it's totally unnecessary.

I really appreciate your advice. I am curious, how long have you been driving for uber? And what dash cam do you use?

Thank you! I know, I am totally going crazy with this dash cam ordeal! I have been wanting a dash cam for some time, and now I have a viable reason to have one. I am wanting a dash cam to record the inside of my car for the night time driving- if I end up picking up people after the bar and whatnot. You're absolutely right though, I should wait and see if I even do that driving. I may not.

I think I am going so overboard with this is because I am have too much time on my hands. LOL. I am sitting at home healing and most definitely over-thinking this driving gig. What started out as just a simple dash cam inquiry on google has turned into a ridiculous obsession with wanting to find the absolute best set up and best camera. I'm sure it's totally unnecessary.

I really appreciate your advice. I am curious, how long have you been driving for uber? And what dash cam do you use?

I totally understand that. You go in thinking you'll get a simple cam setup and spend $150-$200 and then after research you feel like you need 24/7 surveillance and possibly a tank. d:

I haven't driven for Uber yet. Insurance reasons; Uber covers you 100% of the time now, but your primary insurance could still drop you. It seems insurance companies don't like sharing the glory with Uber or rather don't understand it would be like having 2 insurance policies. They would rather sell you a commercial policy for $500 a month.

I run a Mobius standard lens up front. It doesn't do the best at night, but sufficient enough that in a hit and run I could at least prove I'm telling the truth.

In an ideal world if be running something better up front with the Mobius in the back.

I assumed you were up in Portland area, so I'd start with PDX, or any daytime area you're comfortable in. Obviously it will be a different crowd late at night, but if you've ever used Uber as a customer you know all your info is linked to the account so should anything happen you'd at least have information on the person who booked you.

I totally understand that. You go in thinking you'll get a simple cam setup and spend $150-$200 and then after research you feel like you need 24/7 surveillance and possibly a tank. d:

I haven't driven for Uber yet. Insurance reasons; Uber covers you 100% of the time now, but your primary insurance could still drop you. It seems insurance companies don't like sharing the glory with Uber or rather don't understand it would be like having 2 insurance policies. They would rather sell you a commercial policy for $500 a month.

I run a Mobius standard lens up front. It doesn't do the best at night, but sufficient enough that in a hit and run I could at least prove I'm telling the truth.

In an ideal world if be running something better up front with the Mobius in the back.

I assumed you were up in Portland area, so I'd start with PDX, or any daytime area you're comfortable in. Obviously it will be a different crowd late at night, but if you've ever used Uber as a customer you know all your info is linked to the account so should anything happen you'd at least have information on the person who booked you.

Exactly, I figured a couple hundred bucks and I'd get a camera or two, but after all the research my mind has been blown. I almost spent 500 the other day on a setup- but made myself stop and think first. Thankfully! It's amazing how wrapped up in stuff I can get just simply researching a simple item. LOL. I like your idea of a tank though, perhaps an armored bus with a sealed off drivers chambers to drive all the drunks at night after the club lets out. HAHA

Yeah the insurance thing is kind of a joke. I talked to my agent about it- told him I was "thinking" of driving for uber to make some extra cash while I'm off work. He told me if he catches wind that I am driving for them he will drop me! Unbelievable. So, that's another anxiety I have now of whether or not I really want to do it. I get great rates from him, been with that insurance company for years. Well, thanks for all your input, you've really helped me to calm down about the camera thing.

I'm sure you've done your research; having all that time, but if you do end up driving just remember never to give out your personal insurance information in an accident - unless you plan to go through your personal insurance which you can only do during stage 1 of just having the app on. BUT then you'll have to lie about where you were going / what you were doing. If you're in an accident after accepting a job or during the customers ride you'd look under the Uber Partner app and I believe it's under the Waybill - a policy number etc. That's the info you'd give out. What I can't confirm is if Uber first makes you get denied through your personal insurance, what I've read has been conflicting. It would be silly to make one do this as they have a copy of what type of insurance you hold. The only time personal insurance would pay out is if you had a commercial policy.

I still think getting a cam is a good idea for daily driving, but you could get away with buying something less expensive. You could do a double Mobius setup for $200 (this doesn't include an interior cam) but really it depends on if you want the fancy things like GPS, Wi-Fi, buffer parking mode etc.

Thanks for the tip, I actually have one a couple of their insurance cards printed out along with a few other uber documents in a manilla folder. I'll just keep that in my car in case I do end up needing them.

I think I will end up getting a camera set up, like I said, I have wanted one for a while now. I just don't think I need to get all fancy and have a 3 channel set up. I certainly don't want to break the bank over a dash cam. HAHA. I will look into the Mobius, although I do like the idea of having GPS and Parking mode. I live in an apartment complex so having the parking mode would be nice.

Thanks for the tip, I actually have one a couple of their insurance cards printed out along with a few other uber documents in a manilla folder. I'll just keep that in my car in case I do end up needing them.

I think I will end up getting a camera set up, like I said, I have wanted one for a while now. I just don't think I need to get all fancy and have a 3 channel set up. I certainly don't want to break the bank over a dash cam. HAHA. I will look into the Mobius, although I do like the idea of having GPS and Parking mode. I live in an apartment complex so having the parking mode would be nice.

In that case I would look at a Street Guardian for up front and something less expensive in the back; though this would depend on how you park. Would probably end up being a $300 setup.

Back