HELP - Fuse Tap Connection

mazinger

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding the fuse-tap connection.

My friend has the 2018 Acura MDX. I tried to help him to install the front dash cam.

So, I bought a 12v female adapter, a fuse tap and a 2 amp fuse.

The fuse tap will connect to the mini fuse from the 12v socket. We test the car, if the car did not switch on, there would be NO power obtained from the 12v socket. By logic, I should fuse tap to the 12v socket fuse. So, the dash cam will only turn on if the ignition is “ ON”

When I connected the fuse tap to the fuse box (definetly the correct fuse) and connected the dash cam WITHOUT starting the vehicle, the power from the 12v female adapter was on.

I checked all the wiring from the 12v female adapter and all the connection were soldered correctly.

The strange part was there was no power from the vehicle 12v socket but the 12v female adapter was “active / on”.

Please note the ignition of the vehicle was off during the wiring installation.

Can someone please advise what was wrong during the installation?

Thanks.

If your car has more than one 12V socket, you've probably tapped a socket that stays on. Other than that I see no reason for the wire to behave differently than how its actually wired by the manufacturer.

The front of the car has 2 sockets, they will only turn on when the ignition is ON.

I tried both fuses already but my 12v female socket was still on even when the car was OFF.

I just want the dashcam to turn on when the ignition is turned on (the basic installation method).

Maybe there's a delay in the sockets turning off, many cars have this feature for the 12V sockets, usually a few minutes but with some it can extend to 30 minutes. If the sockets are staying on, turning the car on once would activate the timed preset (as programmed by the manufacturer) and that's why you're getting power at the fusebox with the car off, plausible...

Maybe there's a delay in the sockets turning off, many cars have this feature for the 12V sockets, usually a few minutes but with some it can extend to 30 minutes. If the sockets are staying on, turning the car on once would activate the timed preset (as programmed by the manufacturer) and that's why you're getting power at the fusebox with the car off, plausible...

I checked already, when the car turn off, the 12v socket turned off instantly.

That's weird.

I'd recheck if the fuse location matches the fusebox diagram. Let's see what other members have to say.

The car is left hand drive. I fuse tapped the mini fuse from the fuse panel on the passenger side.

This is extremely not logical, if I fuse tapped without the ignition on, there should be no power.

I fuse-tapped my other car without any problems.

Sounds like you tap into the constant power source and not accessory. Double check the car schematic's wiring.

If you remove your fuse tap and leave the socket empty, does the car socket get power?

Hi guys,

I need some advice regarding the fuse-tap connection.

My friend has the 2018 Acura MDX. I tried to help him to install the front dash cam.

So, I bought a 12v female adapter, a fuse tap and a 2 amp fuse.

The fuse tap will connect to the mini fuse from the 12v socket. We test the car, if the car did not switch on, there would be NO power obtained from the 12v socket. By logic, I should fuse tap to the 12v socket fuse. So, the dash cam will only turn on if the ignition is “ ON”

When I connected the fuse tap to the fuse box (definetly the correct fuse) and connected the dash cam WITHOUT starting the vehicle, the power from the 12v female adapter was on.

I checked all the wiring from the 12v female adapter and all the connection were soldered correctly.

The strange part was there was no power from the vehicle 12v socket but the 12v female adapter was “active / on”.

Please note the ignition of the vehicle was off during the wiring installation.

Can someone please advise what was wrong during the installation?

Thanks.
Check this out for fuse assignment https://fuse-box.info/acura/acura-mdx-yd3-2014-2018-fuses.
Scroll down to 2018.

Check this out for fuse assignment https://fuse-box.info/acura/acura-mdx-yd3-2014-2018-fuses.
Scroll down to 2018.

Thanks for the fuse chart.

Here are some photos that I took earlier before I installed the fuse tap, I really do not know why the new 12V female socket still has power even the car does not start.

Photo 1: New 12V Female socket to be used for the supply power for the dashcam power adaptor (blue wire is positive, black wire is ground)

Photo 2: Fuse chart on the passenger side (note: either Fuse No. 14 or 15 (20 amp) - Rear or front ACC 12V socket to be used for fuse tapping)

Photo 3: Picture of the fuse panel (note: the 20 AMP fuse located on the lower corner of the right hand side of the fuse box)

Photo 4: Fuse tap (2 amp fuse on top for the dash cam and 20 amp original fuse at bottom)

I am thinking whether it is safe to insert the fuse tap to the empty fuse slot from the fuse panel such as slot #21 or #22 to get the power for the dashcam. If so, the 2 amp fuse will be placed at the bottom of the fuse tap and the top should be empty.

I am thinking whether it is safe to insert the fuse tap to the empty fuse slot from the fuse panel such as slot #21 or #22 to get the power for the dashcam.
In any, which appears voltage when you turn on the ignition, you can even seat for seat heating (#5)
If so, the 2 amp fuse will be placed at the bottom of the fuse tap and the top should be empty.
Not quite so, the bottom can remain empty, because the wire for the connection is powered through the top fuse
fuse splitter_main and additional_diagram.jpg

BUT.. only if the fuse tap is placed as shown and the left side (shown above) is on the "hot" side of the fuse bank. Turn the fuse tap 180 degrees and you will need the lower fuse installed. The subject of much discussion.. as to which way it "should" go. I am in the camp of as displayed the left side is on the hot side and you do not need the bottom (original) fuse to get power to the top (additional) fuse.
PS.. one of the better schematics I have seen (y)

BUT.. only if the fuse tap is placed as shown and the left side (shown above) is on the "hot" side of the fuse bank. Turn the fuse tap 180 degrees and you will need the lower fuse installed. The subject of much discussion.. as to which way it "should" go. I am in the camp of as displayed the left side is on the hot side and you do not need the bottom (original) fuse to get power to the top (additional) fuse.
PS.. one of the better schematics I have seen (y)
Thank's, about the "hot" side - this is a significant addition!
I made a supplement in the scheme
fuse splitter_with additional_fuse + hot side..jpg

Have you checked whether the rear 12V socket always has power? In some cars the rear one is always on so if you tap that fuse you get constant power

It could also be that the relay to control the outlet is after the fuse

This is what I am thinking that there is a relay which control the 12v socket to turn off when the car not started.

I just need the simple installation, when the car starts, the dashcam turns on.

I just need the simple installation, when the car starts, the dashcam turns on.

Finding a fuse that is only live when the car is running might be difficult. Easier to find one that is only on when the car is in the ACC or running.. typically your radio, and some accessories such as the cigarette lighter.

Finding a fuse that is only live when the car is running might be difficult. Easier to find one that is only on when the car is in the ACC or running.. typically your radio, and some accessories such as the cigarette lighter.

According to the fuse chart, that 12v socket supposed to be accessory.

Anyway, I will use the multimeter to double check again.

Back