Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vueroid D21 4K

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

trankillity

Reaction score
Country
Australia
G'day from Australia! Just got my first EV (Cupra Born) so want the added insurance of a quality dash cam. Have done a decent amount of research on the main options, but have some concerns about each one. Help me decide!

My needs:
  • 2 channels (don't need cabin).
  • Good image quality on front and decent on rear.
  • Good night vision (Sony STARVIS 2 sensor).
  • Constant recording while driving.
  • Configurable event detection for parking mode.
  • Fast wake/event recording in parking mode.
  • High temperature resistance or automatic overheat detection.
My desires:
  • Subtle/small size (have enough sensors and cameras already).
  • Ability to disable parking mode based on GPS (don't need it at home).
  • Prefer no screen.
  • Ability to permanently mute all warnings.
What I've investigated:
  • Thinkware U3000: Seems to be the best parking mode by far with very low power draw + radar-based detection. Unfortunately the low light performance/lack of HDR isn't great. Decent subtle form factor.
  • VIOFO A229 Pro (or A139): Seems to have the best image quality out of all the high end options, just not the nicest/most subtle finish. Also apparently has overheating issues (likely a problem living in Australia).
  • Vueroid D21 4K: Not a lot of reviews on this yet, but there's some previews around. Doesn't seem like as good image quality as the A229. Similar form factor to U3000.
So what's people's feelings on these options? Any other recommendations for my use case? And is there anything that I need to be aware of in terms of hard wire/installation of one of these in an EV? Like will my EV charge the 12V from the high voltage battery even while parked (long-term parking mode)?

G'day trankillity, welcome to the forum.

You are looking at on the glass systems, so Aussie Summer if you are parked outside in the sun, will probably turn off parking guard pretty fast to preserve itself.
Really no current system are made to deal with the hotness of Australian summer or Sheilas.
As i see it only a system with a remote main unit you can place somewhere out of the sun would stand a chance, and then you still need it to be made for it so not like the few such systems that exist as they have very small main units.
You need to main unit to be large so you can fit a proper cooling solution to it ( oversize ) and not just a little lump of ALU with fins on it, no a proper heat pipe or vapor chamber cooler, and maybe with a option to have active cooling with a fan, even if that will drive power consumption up.

In regard to parking guard i prefer to use low bitrate, it record all the time, so no worry about short / fast wake up times and small memory buffers, on the side i like to have the G-sensor on too and on HIGH setting to lock any actual events / act like a beacon CUZ low bitrate files are just like regular files so on their own they are not locked, just sit there in among the regular recordings but very easy to see by the small file size.

For long term parking guard, and maybe also to some degree heat durability, some of the systems with radars in them, at least they claim to greatly extend the parking guard duration.
I am not so sure myself about these myself, i have never tested such a system.
Also these smart / cloud enabled cameras usually not the best in image quality.

Disable parking guard at home, just long press power button and it will turn off, everything will be back to normal on next start.

Personally i use the timer in some systems set to 3 hours, that cover all my small stuff like shopping, at home i have CCTV on my car parked in a often pitch black back yard behind the apartment block, so parking guard would be of no use there.

Also little car little battery ( 55 Ah )

Back