Help Recommend Me a Dashcam

zephiris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone,

I need some help on recommendations on a dashcam. I've had 2 dashcam before, the A118C and the A119S v2. I got them mostly because the footage was good, and it didn't cost too much. Each lasted about 2 years, and of course, when I needed a specific footage, the video was corrupted. The time kept reseting and it continuously overwritten the first file and eventually made it corrupted.

I'm not too picky about the features on it and whatnot, I just want it to have good footage during the day and night, and hopefully one that lasts longer. I have the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L, so it'll be placed where the dot matrix is next to the camera on the car. Rear camera would be nice to have, but not that big of a deal. I have tints on my windows, so not sure if it's a good to have one over it or not. I'm in the Bay Area in California, if the area has any factors in recommending. I looking to spend ~$150 at most, but would think about spending a bit more if it's a really good dashcam and it will last for a few years. For the most part, I want something that lasts longer than what I had before.

Thanks

Sound like you have had a case of bad timing, or you have set and forget your dashcams, and you really cant do that with any dashcam no matter the price bracket on the camera and memory card.
Also sound like you have not had a GPS on the cameras which should make sure your files get the correct time/date name, aside for maybe the first file if the RCT battery go dead on you.
But once the GPS have gotten a fix the time/date of the camera should be good, and assure a continuous stream of recordings with the current time/date.
I am currently testing a new model, that also forget time/date, so first file after my car have sat for a some hours are named according to the default time/date of the camera, but after GPS have gotten a fix all following files have the correct time/date.
Clearly this are still a major issue which can hopefully be fixed with firmware, or the maker will have to do it in hardware before they put the camera in production.
But as the time/date are okay after shorter stops i do think it can be saved in firmware by optimizing the procedure the camera use as it shut down.

The Viofo cameras are still popular, but you have to keep a eye on them too, i spend 10 minutes or so every month or two and look over the files on the 128 GB memory card i use.
When i do this i do:
launch file in player on PC, if it can and i had a second or 2 to see where it is, on to the next file. ( i use the classic media player that come with windows 10 )
I focus on first and last files in drive sessions, which with my kind of driving have about 15 - 20 drive sessions, so this are 30 - 40 files i have to play see if it start / stop in a place i know and then next file.
So that take me 3-4 minutes on the PC for the must inspect files ( according to my way of doing things )
After that i do the same on some random files, and so test another 30-40 files, which again take me 3 - 4 minutes ( remember only watch a few seconds of each file, no need to watch all, if they can launch the rest of the file should be fine too )
So in total i spend around 10 minutes on the computer every month or so, to assure my camera and not least memory card ( often the point of failure ) are good to go.

After a while you will probably find like me that your drives start / end in pretty fixed places, in my case at home - at my friends house - at the same gas-station i always use - at the same shops where i always shop and so on.
So if you suddenly have a drive session that start a mile down the road from your house, or end in the middle of some street, then there are cause for investigation further, maybe run a test of the memory card using H2testw.

In a good camera the memory card are always the weakest link, in a cheap camera it can be a coin toss if its the camera or the memory card, and no dashcam brand are exceptional good at making never dying cameras, the only difference is what kind of support you will get if you have a issue.
And on support you can have anything from some Chinese e bay seller that go ?????? wat ! me not ondestand, to street guardian that will give you 2 year warranty and where 2-3 guys in here will probably tackle your problem posted in here in a matter of minutes.
But sadly street guardian are not among the cheapest brands of dashcams according to my handle on the market, and you also be wise to keep a eye out for your street guardian camera too.
As i understand it Viofo also have US sellers now, that want to do right by their customers.

Viofos current 2 channel camera are the A129 DUO.
you can compensate for tint by ramping up the EV value for that particular camera.

The good thing about the new cameras are they will give a alarm of something are wrong, in the "old days" you couldn't really tell before you looked at the footage on the memory card.

Can you explain to me a little bit on what you meant by I can't set and forget?

With my first dashcam, after a while, I noticed that every time I turned off my car, it would reset back to factory defaults. Well technically I noticed it when someone backed up into me, when I tried to pull the footage and it was corrupted. I figured that the caps or whatever that kept the charge so the settings are kept probably died.

On my second dashcam, I wanted to get the footage of someone illegally cutting me off by driving over the divide and immediately getting pulled over by the police. I tried to get the footage a few days after that, but it was basically gone because the date and time somehow reset. I set it again, and a few weeks later (the other day), the time reset again, which lead me to come back and ask for recommendations.

I was using a Samsung microSD card in the first one, but then later on saw a post saying it's not recommended to use them for various reasons. Then I changed to the Lexar High-Endurance 64GB. Not sure if this is the best or if it works well enough or not.

It's just a bit frustrating having one and when I want to get something only to find out that it not there.

My main concern about any rear camera in general, is that if I remove it or replace it for some reason, when I pull it off, it'll rip off the tints with it. I'm not familiar with it too much so I can't say. If there is someone assure me that my worries on this is unwarranted, that'll be great. I don't mind spending more on a dashcam, but I can't justify $400 for one unless I know it'll last for a few years.

Set and forget is exactly what it say, and we have seen so many examples on that in here.
Most times the post go something like this.
" so i put a dashcam in my car 3 years ago, and yesterday i had a accident and i find out the darn thing have not made a recording since April 2018 "
And that's the problem, they have put a dashcam on the windscreen and then forgotten all about it cuz they haven't had any crashes.

And you cant just forget a dashcam like that for a few reasons.
First of all they are working in a harsh environment, most predominant the heat but they also see a good deal of moisture, and in the right place they can even experience pretty cold temperatures in the winter.
And lastly the memory cards which don't have some of the technologies other forms of solid state memory have, and they have their finite number of write cycles also.
Now the life of a memory card you can be lucky with, but also pretty darn unlucky, personally i have been unlucky with a few 64 GB "extreme" U3 cards that at the time was the most expensive memory cards i had ever gotten.
2 of those memory cards i dident even get to fill one time, so in reality they was like 40 Gb disposable memory, which are of course totally out there and not what i paid for at Amazon.
So both had to be replaced, which Amazon also did astounding fast, and the replacements have been working just fine since then, but it just go to show even the most expensive brand memory cards are a risk.

Another angle on the memory cards are the warranty from the factory, due to dashcams working in such harsh environments and the constant writing and deleting ( when full ) all of the memory card makers only give warranty for their endurance models for use in a dash or CCTV camera.
Problem before was these endurance models tended to be a lot more expensive than regular memory cards, so most of us dident use those endurance cards.
And you can also do that just fine with a regular memory card provided you are not unlucky, or live in and do all your driving in death valley.
In general i have gotten at least 2 years of usage on my memory cards, some i even think have served me 4 years, but that have then been the lucky few.
Also here speaking of the lifetime on my memory cards i should mention i don't really drive that much, maybe like 6 hours a week, and Denmark that are like Canada north on the globe don't really see the long really nice summers.
Though 2018 was one such year for us Danes with heat record after heat record being broken, then the rare really high temperatures ( 30 deg C or higher ) was pretty rare even in 2018, but we got plenty of sunshine from April and to September where our summer months are normally June - July - August and farmers normally having no reason at all to complain about the lack of rain.
But 2018 was so dry for us we had a countrywide ban on open fire from like May to August, we even had a few wildfires which our little flat contra rarely have.
Our world famous surfer spot " cold Hawaii " on the west coast of Jutland i am sure wasent really that good for the surfers in 2018, for a change it was warm but the winds that normally drive the fun over there was wayyyy less than in a normal year.

Anyways back to the memory cards, today the endurance models are more manageable in price, but a lot of us still don't use those, cuz even if the regular memory cards are not made for the extremes they still do pretty fine in most cases.

In regard to looking over the memory cards, then i probably do that a little more often than every 1-2 months, cuz when i encounter i idiot in traffic i put him on youtube, so while i have the memory card in the reader anyway i might as well give it a quick look over.
Still some cameras i rarely touch as i at the moment have 10 in my car, and normally it is just one of the dual cameras that cover the front & rear of my car i go to for footage ( new test camera K2S and Street guardian SG9663DC )
The other 3 camera on my windscreen i don't touch as often, but as a tester they are there and running, and my side cameras i also don't touch that often as it is single cameras so a little "painful" to get to those and pull a memory card from each.

Regarding cameras stuck to tint i have read a few cases in here where people have managed to remove those just fine without damaging the tint, but i am sure you have to be a bit more careful and and so it will probably take a bit longer to remove.
Personally i drive a little Suzuki hatchback, and as it is cheap all of the rear hatch frame around the window are bare metal, so i have used a rare earth magnet to hold and space out one of my cameras back there.
The same magnet trick i also use on my R side camera where i have folded over a piece of thin sheet metal so it was able to slide over the headliner, and then i have glued & taped 2 magnets to the camera there.
It don't look that good and i did plan to make some changes, but as it worked just fine, and looks don't bother me that much the camera have been sitting there on the headliner for over 2 years now.

You can take a look in the install photo thread and maybe get some ideas to things you can do in your car in regard to creative install.
I would start in the back as it have the newest installs / pictures and then work your way back thru the thread / time. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/where-did-you-mount-the-camera-post-your-pictures.502/page-59
I have some pics in there too back around page 55 i think it is.

One more thing in regard to looking over your footage now and then, if you are on a MAC computer those seem to leave some hidden files on memory cards, often forcing MAC users to format the memory card in the camera to get it working right.
Street guardian will give you 2 years warranty if you register your camera online, this also cover the memory card if you buy that bundled with the camera.

Another thing about memory cards, as they have a "set" number of write cycles, then the larger memory card you have the longer it should in theory last as it take longer to fill a larger card and so write cycles should go by at a slower pace, in general i recommend 64Gb for a camera or channel in a dual model, this mean you will have 8 hours saved or in the case of a dual camera with a 128 GB memory card 2 X 8 hours ( front & rear )
And i don't know about you but i never drive 8 hours, little Denmark barely have the size for me to drive for that long and still be in Denmark when i stop :D
So even if you have a 2 hour commute to and from work, you will still have a couple of days worth of driving, and so a "buffer" if you forget to save a event on the day it happen.

The little i drive i have more like weeks of buffer time on my cameras, which serve my sluggish brain just fine.

I also recommend you to use the event button on your dash camera, this should lock the file / files in a Read Only folder, and files in there the camera cant readily delete.
That is on the newer cameras even the RO folder will see the oldest files deleted to make room for new recordings, but you still need to have a substantial number of event files in there before that happen.
But again as you have experienced this will only be working with correct named files.

Some seem to use the G sensor for triggering events while driving, but this are often hard or impossible to tune right so you don't get a lot of false events from potholes and so on, so i don't use that as my camera record all the time and so everything, and if it is something small i press the event button, and if its a major event where i am knocked out rescuers ASO should as one of the first things turn off my car, so even that catastrophic event should also be saved just fine.
My little sister and my one friend are instructed to go retrieve memory cards in my car if i should get hospitalized in a bad event.

The first Street Guardian they sent to me to test are still working but now in my friends car, i think i got that in 2013 or 14, it have of course seen some memory cards fail in it over that period.
I have never had a camera of theirs die on me but one test camera did have a faulty / sluggish GPS antenna which they will replace in a heartbeat.
BUT ! Others do seem to have managed to make a SG camera go haywire, but i cant say if its in lesser numbers than any other brand out there, what i do know is the company owner and resellers will be all over you to get the problem identified / fixed ASAP.
So from my point of view SG are by far the most assuring brand to work with, and i am also willing to pay a little premium for that.

BUT ! still i would not treat a SG camera as set and forget either, everything can break or start to perform less than optimal, so i am willing to set up a routine where i use a few minutes now and then to make sure my equipment are in fighting order.
I am not going to take any chances with all the low life's you can encounter in traffic today.

You could try to reach out to Jon at https://streetguardian.cam/ that guy ( too ) have been known to stitch up a good deal for new or returning customers.
you can also PM ( start conversation ) him in here via his user name @Street Guardian USA

Thanks for the information. Guess I'll just have to make it a monthly routine to check everything.

Seeing as my current one reset it's time, and I'm assuming everything else with it, at least 2 times by now that I've noticed, I would guess it's time to replace it. Are there any particular ones you recommend? I don't mind paying more for a dashcam if the overall quality is good and the general consensus is that it'll last for a few years. I'll accept that it's my bad luck that it'll start malfunctioning sooner, this can't be helped, but if overall people say it doesn't last that long, I'm a little hesitant to get something more expensive.

Thanks

When cameras keep loosing its time like that it are most often the tiny RCT battery on the PCB, these can be replaced but then you need to have some tinkering skill and a soldering iron.

And if you are the kind of guy that for some reason don't like GPS embedded or in other way related to the video footage, then you are down to setting the time manual, and rely on the little RCT battery to keep that clock going when the car are off.
And that should also work fine, though as you have found out the RCT batteries can also fail and then in their way have a cascade effect on the camera that otherwise might be fine.
It would be nice if makers could set a default time/date out in the future instead, this would to a large degree fix RTC battery issues, as then the default time/date named first file would not be the oldest file on the memory card but the newest, but again if you don't have a GPS then the correct time/date will never be updated that way.

It is a little hard for me to recommend cameras as i haven't really kept up with the market, and don't need new cameras as a few brands keep me well stocked with test cameras and with plenty to work on.
Street Guardian as i said are one of them.
But i am of course picking up something in here with all the hours i spend on this forum, and as i said the Viofo cameras are still popular and also enjoy good support, and they also have the best MOD scene with a wide range of modified firmware's to play around with.
I think the A129 can be upgraded later on to a A129 Duo with the purchase of a additional rear camera, one of the street guardian models also offer this "budget" approach to a dual system.
At the moment the best performing cameras in the challenging low light are cameras based on the Sony IMX 291 sensor, pretty much any sensor can be good in the daylight.

But i also always say if your approach to wanting camera are mainly to cover yourself in case of a event, well then a single camera in the front will be fine in most cased.
It might not film the guy sideswiping you from behind or the guy T boning you from a side road, but that single camera will always log what you do with your vehicle, and if you have not run a red light where the guy T boned you or been all over lanes when that guy side swiped you from behind.
well then what ever happen cant really have been your fault as you can document you just drive along and complying to all and any traffic rule when whatever happened.

O and just a little step back to GPS and speed in footage, if you don't like GPS as it would incriminate you as you maybe some times speed a little like all of us do, well GPS or not your speed can always be determined by the video footage itself.
So with or without GPS speed in the footage, well if someone get a hold of your camera footage and can use it against you legally well then you should not be filming anything, cuz with distance between 2 things you can go measure and the time it took you to cover that distance in the video footage, and you can calculate your actual speed.

But most often i find police rarely see dashcams, they are still pretty oblivious to those, so a fairly stealthy camera & install should make sure they remain in the dark.
And you should never share footage with anyone on the site of a event, remain numb and give the other part all the chances he/she can to lye to police and insurance, and then later on you whip out your proof and set things strait.

Here in Denmark a major crash will see police crash investigators on the scene, but they can come up with what ever they want if it is not the same your video tell then they are wrong 30 years on the job or not.
anything small here, and cops will be like " WTF are you stupid" if you call them, you are supposed to let the opposing insurance companies slug it out, and call a tow company to get your cars removed, Danish police don't have time for such small stuff, not even if they was 50% more cops,,,, which sadly would only be back up to normal numbers of cops here ( severe police shortage after big generations went on pension a few years ago )

Only reason these 2 guys got inside my car was due to one of them spotting my baseball bat that had slid out from under the rear seat,,,, and still i got my bat, cuz cops never got much on me, not even decades ago where i was into anything but pimping and murder.

BTW. Baseball bat replaced by tree branch the same size,,,, which i can legally drive around with in my car :)

Thanks for the information. I'm not too worried about having a GPS on the dashcam or not, but for it to sync everything up, does it need to have continuous power, or it just syncs up with something when it comes on?

I see you mentioned A129 Duo a few times here, so I'll need to look into that. You also mentioned Street Guardian a few times, any particular one you prefer over the other?

I never owned a Viofo product myself, many of their cameras use hardware that to a large degree match that of Street guardian cameras, and they are a bit cheaper.
The A129 pack the Sony IMX 291 sensor both front and rear, so for day and low light performance that's as good as it can get with that sensor, and they also have it dialed in okay in the firmware it seem

The GPS should sync the camera time / date for the internal clock when it get a fix, so all you really need to do is set your time zone, the camera will then do the rest once it get a fix.
GPS fix are done in #2 ways.
Cold boot which are the slowest and occur when the camera have been off ( cold ) for many hours, in general this should only take a minute to get a fix.
Warm boot, this when camera only been off for a little while when you did a little shopping or something like that, the fix are in this case almost instantaneous as the GPS over a short time remember where it was when you turned off the car.
After everything are up and running GPS poll the speed about every second, this are done in a passive way only reciving signals from the GPS satellites above, so if you are going 55 MPH and brake really hard then in the footage when you are stopped completely you will probably still see a speed of some MPH before the camera catch up and realize you are stopped.
You can get GPS that poll the speed much more often, but then you also have to pay more, and really in cars in general you don't really see the abrupt speed up or braking, so every one just use these "slower" GPS antennas.
And they do just fine when you accelerate and brake at normal rates.

The GPS antenna are powered by the camera, Street guardian always use a antenna on a wire ( mouse antenna ) so you can remove the GPS a little from the camera, i have my antennas in the top corners of the windscreen.
Viofo on the other hand can have the GPS antenna in the mount the camera itself slide on to, i cant say i have heard anyone say the mount type of antenna are substantial slower than the mouse type.
There have been some small issues with the contacts in between the mount and camera on some Viofo cameras, but i think this are resolved now, if need be you can bypass the mount with the power wire and go strait to the camera, the GPS in the mount will still get power and work that way.

PS . I am not sure if all viofo cameras have the GPS in the mount, i have not kept that close taps on them, but either way should be fine.

If you find a model that seem to fit your budget and features, just hit up its sub forum here and ask a lot of questions in there too to make 100% sure you get the right camera for your needs.
There are no stupid questions in here, and there will be users with much more knowledge of viofo cameras in their sub forums to help you fine tune your decisions.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I was thinking about the A129 Duo, SG9663DC, or SGGCX2PRO with or without the rear camera, but then if I go with the SG9663DC, I might as well go to the SGGCX2PRO and get the rear camera with it since it's about the same price.

One of the SG cameras will serve you well, and if you encounter a problem the company and resellers will serve you well too.
They both have a Amazon store ( becuz that's sort of forced on small companies today ) but they also have a regular internet store with Jon in Carson City in Nevada, you will be good to buy either place.

If you want to do parking mode you need the hard wire kit too, but if you just want to record while driving the kits are plug and play for the cigarette lighter socket in your dashboard, or you can snip off the lighter plug you can wire the power supply into your car on a ACC fuse and have your cigarette lighter free for other stuff.

Back