Help with setting up new A119s (cannot format sd card)

Riki Ishikawa

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I just received my Viofo A119s yesterday. To my understanding, you must put the SD card into the camera, plug the USB in your computer, and format the SD card. When I inserted my SD card into the dash cam, I get a blue screen that reads "Mass Storage" and when I tried to open the file on my computer, nothing is in that file. Could anyone help me with setting up this dash cam please?

Here's one of several videos...I use an SD card adapter connected to the computer and not in the phone.

If this doesn't work,check back

One more video, with the card INSIDE the camera.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So I just received my Viofo A119s yesterday. To my understanding, you must put the SD card into the camera, plug the USB in your computer, and format the SD card. When I inserted my SD card into the dash cam, I get a blue screen that reads "Mass Storage" and when I tried to open the file on my computer, nothing is in that file. Could anyone help me with setting up this dash cam please?
Do not use the computers USB to power the camera. You will get the Mass Storage Mode every time with the short USB cable. Use a USB charger (phone charger) or the car adapter that came with the camera.

Thank you for the response and video link. I have watched the video, however when i use the USB charger to connect to my mac, the "NO NAME" file will not come up. Any other solutions?

Thank you for the response and video link. I have watched the video, however when i use the USB charger to connect to my mac, the "NO NAME" file will not come up. Any other solutions?
What do you mean by "when I connect the USB charger to my MAC"? I thought you were just trying to format the memory card? If this is correct, don't connect to a computer at all. Power the camera with a USB phone charger or the supplied 2-port car charger and go into the camera menu and choose format.

easiest way to format any micro SD card (never use SanDisk Ultra)
- insert into dashcam while off
- connect to 5volt 1 or 3 amp power adapter or 5v 1amp power bank (not computer)
- wait for format message or enter MENU settings
- locate then perform FORMAT

if dashcam displays format warning simply press MENU then proceed.
can also power dashcam using short USB cable connected to vehicle USB adapter.
for MAC owners, if above doesn't work borrow a PC laptop (friend/computer store) and card reader to format as FAT32

Hi. New here, saw this thread and thought I'd offer a reply...

I just bought 2 new Samsung Evo Plus 64g U-3 microsd cards and needed to format them. I downloaded the formatter from Viofo.com called guiformat.exe and saved it to my Win10 rig.
http://support.viofo.com/support/so...0046583-micro-sd-card-format-tool-for-windows
http://support.viofo.com/support/so...0046583-micro-sd-card-format-tool-for-windows

I put the microsd card into my USB card reader and double clicked on guiformat.exe. Got an error message that the card couldn't be formatted because it was in use by another program.

A bit confused, but I figured that must be windows explorer, nothing else was open, let alone reading the card. So I right clicked on the guiformat.exe file name and hit copy, and pasted a shortcut onto my desktop. Closed Explorer. Double clicked the new shortcut and... 3 seconds later, the sdcard is formatted and working perfectly.

I know there are other industry standard sdcard formatters out there, but this one is direct from Viofo and so I trusted it for a Viofo specific use a bit better.

So another method in case nothing else works.. just saying... :)

-Frank

Last edited:
Back