So far bad experience with A119S..please help

KEVIN88GT

Reaction score
Country
United States
so I did a lot of reading here, purchased the A119S and here are the results.

Using a 64gb FAT32 formatted Sandisk Class 10 MicroSD card.
The dashcam screen states the firmware version is A119S_170519_V1.5

Videos below recorded on 1080p 60hz

Questionable quality . I cant make out ANY licence plates in the day or night time.
I'm a bit confused. This is one of the best cameras on the market at this price point?
Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Night video
- cant even make out plates of cars not directly in front of my headlights (thus overexposed), in other words even cars off to the side at a distance of 40 feet I cant make out the liscence plates.

Day Video:
- I do see a lot of glare from my dash (the speaker cover and the overall texturing off the entire dash) makes the image bad. Should I try a polarized filter maybe?
- again, cant make out a single liscence plate.

Sorry about these gripes, it's my first dashcam and I was expecting a dash cam to see basic stuff like...well...liscence plates of cars.... are my expectatons too high? Am I doing something wrong?

Just upsetting....

Thank you all in advance.

you can put the original of the day video on the file sharing, Not Youtube!

Thanks. Will do. Can you clarify why you tube isnt preffered? Looks like it's still in 1080p format.

YouTube compressed source video, the quality will differ.
Tilt the lens a little , a lot of sky in the frame.
As it is not sad , but You have a defocusing lens.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will do. Can you clarify why you tube isnt preffered? Looks like it's still in 1080p format.
youtube re-encodes original video, which adds artifacts; this isn't about resolution, but re compression

to the original OP question:
0. you need CPL like http://www.viofo.com/accessories/36-cpl-for-viofo-a118c2-a119-a119s-dash-camera.html as quick fix for day recordings
1. it's about light conditions, what makes it bad is windshield that is between camera and recording objects / cars; this also main source for glares as windshield reflects back to camera optics; try to use camera outside and you'll see big diff
2. I'm not sure that any current 1080p cameras can delivers good readings of Lic plate numbers, while in appropriate range only like a 3ft - 6ft and under 20 angle ; more about expectations
3. attach 100% scale original screenshots from your recordings to this thread - look as example how it's done by camera reviewers
4. keep clean / clear 3 glasses - camera, inner windshield, external windshield for optimal results; isn't practical for day to day

Last edited:
0. вам нужен CPL, например

CPL не исправляет фокус, удаляет только отражение 80%

Безымянный.jpg

Безымянный1.jpg

Night footage 1st vid, 2.42, the number plate on the car to your right in my opinion (despite youtube's compression) is very clear. I appreciate you might as well both be stationary given you're travelling at similar speeds, however literally no camera at present will pick up number plates of vehicles travelling in the opposite direction at night. I can see a lot of glare though off street lights... this might well be due to your windscreen, not the cam

Day footage you're driving directly into sunlight there, which again will affect many dashcams the same way as yours, a CPL will definitely get rid of some of the dashboard glare and you appear to have "unfortunate" shaped vents in your dash that really won't help. you could also alter the exposure value slightly, see how that helps? (use a fabric dashmat?)

Here our number plates are easier to read anyway due to the requirements of our lettering, but I had an import chevy Camaro SS drive past me, he had his UK registration number made onto US pressed metal plates like you have in your videos (completely illegal here) and I couldn't see them as we drove towards the sun

Yeah, wait for a frost then all will be well.
fd5b1cb19e620baf66893cdc18171095.gif

Безымянный4.jpg

KEVIN88GT
Я слышу русскую речь на видео, может Вам будет проще на русскоязычном форуме общаться ? , там много полезного узнаете:

Last edited:
I think your windshield looks a little dirty. Easy to see in the night video. I would clean it, inside and out and test again.

Back