Help With Screen Diagnosis

TxDoc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119S
I've had literally zero problems with my A119S and the updated firmware.

I got in the truck tonight, started up, check both cams, front and rear. Front cam normal, in the rearview mirror, I see half the cam showing my open shop door, the black part, and the left side of the screen had a multi-colored scrambled appearance.

I tried to take a pic. But got an error it was too large to upload. But, has anyone seen this before? I did restart and try it again, but I wasn't able to get it back to normal.
I don't seem to be able to get into format mode.

I haven't tried another SD card.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

reload the firmware and reset defaults and you should find it goes back to normal
Thank you. I'll report [emoji108] back

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

@viofo It's been almost 6 months since the 'XXXXXX' bug first popped up, how long is it going to take to fix this?

Affects reliability!

@viofo It's been almost 6 months since the 'XXXXXX' bug first popped up, how long is it going to take to fix this?

Affects reliability!

it's very hard to debug a problem until you can pinpoint the cause, once it can be repeated reliably they should be able to work it out

trust me when I say that any bug that you can't work out how to repeat is the most frustrating thing you could deal with

It's all about priorities...

What about unaware buyers with a single front or rear facing A119S. The way I see it (for now), VIOFO is shipping out units with a serious bug.

After my X-Box episode, I tried hard to make the problem repeat, but could not do so for the most part. It did repeat once with a different face (screen display) but no abuse to the camera could make the problem repeat reliably. Seems only to suddenly appear during a startup at least in my case. The first clue was a very long VIOFO logo at startup. As said before, I found that 1) you can get some random button responses (but not usually the correct response) by operating with the microSD card removed, and 2) after miscellaneous actions I got the camera work properly without reloading the firmware. Method was basically a bunch of miscellaneous button presses. I did note that the first time I defaulted the settings after getting into the menu, it cleared the hash and gave me an active picture with 13 X-boxes, and I did another settings default later which showed no immediate results, then did misc button presses, a manual power down, and reinstallation of the microSD card before the camera finally regained proper function. Still operating the camera successfully without reloading firmware since the problem occurred.

when Troubleshooting begin by stripping device down to minimum, testing out of vehicle is recommended.
- never use the right-angle mini-USB adapter, its junk.
- remove micro SD card < then power on test - always use side port
- power on with original 5volt adapter < then power on test
- power on with tablet 5volt 1-3amp adapter < then power on test
- power on with 5volt 1amp power bank < then power on test
- alternate between GPS Module power connector and dashcam side mini-USB port
If video corruption remains it points to hardware or firmware.
- enter MENU and always select DEFAULT Settings
- disconnect power cable , wait 10 seconds, then reconnect < note any changes
- stop using the CUSTOM Text areas for now unless you Downgrade to pre-version 2 firmware.

Do all of the above without a micro SD card installed
Troubleshoot with smaller 8 to 32GB micro SD card (not SanDisk Ultra)
If still no change suggest Downgrading Firmware version. The A119 has more issues due to the silly BootLoader update step. Follow this Firmware Update video below and A119 owners use 14-Step Procedure.

Very common Firmware corruption issue occurs when owners repeatedly insert and remove micro SD card while Dashcam is powered on.
If you don't want to tinker inside Dashcam looking for blown caps or loose cables RETURN the Dashcam or claim create VIOFO Service Ticket and claim Warranty.

Browse all BCHobbyist WorkShop videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/bchobbyist

Reloaded the firmware, cleared the old settings, established new settings and everything is great, so far.

Thanks for the HELP!![emoji3][emoji106] [emoji471]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Affects reliability!
In that case, hell with Parking Mode and HDR, fix this first!
It's all about priorities...
What about unaware buyers with a single front or rear facing A119S. The way I see it (for now), VIOFO is shipping out units with a serious bug.
@viofo, I'm not so outspoken as @harsh, but I have to agree and think that solving the X-Box problem should be #1 priority for the A119 and A119S program. I understand from my own experience that it is a difficult problem to reliably reproduce and resolve, but that is not an excuse, as ultimately every problem has a solution. Your users are not likely to solve this problem for you. Perhaps we can help, describing the experiences had as best we can, but having little or no knowledge of the hardware or software, we can not solve the problem for you. For folks that are members of the Dash Cam Talk Forum (DCT) and pay attention to the A119/S threads, the fix for the symptoms is known and easy, but the underlying problem is still there. For people buying your product and not DCT members, it can be a significant unpleasant surprise resulting in unpleasant consequences for you and your vendors. This is a big blemish on the A119/A119S record, an otherwise excellent dash camera in my opinion.

The new add-ons like Parking Mode and HDR are great and you as the company should be commended for improving existing products for current users of your products like myself at no cost. A company benefit for these improvements is current user loyalty and also my guess is that enhancements have the property of keeping the product in the news which is important to new sales. This greatly enhances your company image in my mind. This could be a truly great camera, but you have a current known unsolved problem that has been hanging around too long and whose solution should take priority over any new undertakings. Potential buyers that are DCT readers may have concerns and avoid a purchase. Non DCT reader's may buy it, return it, and just think they got a dud, never to be seen again.

There are many, many threads related t0 this issue. It seems to be an A119S problem, but it's not. I've confirmed at least two cases of this problem happening on the A119. Just because there is a known easy fix for people that read DCT does not make it a great product for the average guy purchasing a product that may not know of or find DCT. @viofo, I think you have a good camera and support but you urgently need to solve this X-box problem. Also, it might help for you to initiate a single X-box problem DCT thread where people can post their experiences to this problem, if you think that would help you to solve it. Now they are scattered all over the forum. Thus far, I've collected my posts about the X-Box problem here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119sstoppedworking.28058/page-4#post-367258, but I think a dedicated thread would be better. People are going to read about this problem anyway, so you might as well attack it head-on right now, or suffer the consequences. My advice, for what it is worth, is to fix the problem now, #1 priority!

Hope this helps.

P.S. Hopefully constructive criticism is meant only to promote action to solve this problem soon.

Last edited:
Back