Here's the dashcam I want

Leeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. It must and should be discreet. No reason not to be. I should be no larger than a lipstick container. I should be black so as not to gain interest from onlookers. That will be only a camera nothing else
  2. I don't want, nor need, a screen, have it link to my smartphone via WiFi, which everyone has thus both save money in production AND cut down in size.
  3. 1080P
  4. 2 channel - want front and rear cameras
  5. the brains/processor control box housing the major electronics will be smaller and easily mounted in my glove box or under the dash taking up little room. No need to have those things blocking view near my rearview... that is just silly
  6. the power to both cameras will be provided by either a mini-USB, micro-USB or other common small connector making the cord hiding simple adn easy
  7. 64GB or larger, let me purchase that separately so as to save costs if need be.
  8. This will be made preferably in the US but Japan, Europe, or other reputable country/mfg to ensure quality is solid and consistent... not interested in Chinese stuff thank you!
  9. Cost can easily be UNDER $200 especially considering no need for the screen
  10. Lastly, and this could be tough, either make the rear camera waterproof or at least provide a case so that I can somehow mount this near my rear license plate as I have a convertible. Not a deal breaker but something that should be thought about and might make it a selling feature that others have not considered.
Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. These ideas are quite simple, already out there, and makes sense. The cameras themselves have been around for many years in our cell phones, the electronics to do this have also been around for many years, just put the parts together and sell this damn thing! The stuff out now doesn't make sense for most peoples needs and are not well thought out. Get'r done!

8 and 9 are your problem, everything else is doable

jokiin is being too diplomatic with that comment. You are dreaming if you think you could have all those features made somewhere other than China at less than $200. 90% of the dashcams are made in China...designed somewhere else, but made there and even at that with those features you will not see it for under $200. SG is developing some dual channel, hidden DVR cameras I believe.

@nr.8

I guess 8/10 electronics in your household are made in China ? ;)

that list is a long way from complete (and not too accurate), quite a lot of those brands situated in other countries still have product directly manufactured in China or sourced from China and assembled or packaged in their country, not a big deal though as good and bad product can come from any country, where something is made is no guarantee either way

Yeah, that list is pretty out of date too but there are many more Korean manufacturers than I was aware of.

there's hundreds of brands in the market from a lot of small manufacturers that aren't listed

AFAIK Korea has around 300 different dashcam brands.

'US made' is pretty rare these days. Even things assembled in the US are increasingly comprised of parts and raw material sourced from Asia.

Probably not too many on this board are old enough to remember when 'Made in Japan' was kind of a joke, and indicated poor quality?

I'm using a dual-channel system in a convertible. Even though I don't own a smartphone (there's always one ;)), I don't feel the need for a screen either (it's a BlackSys CF100). Sounds like you're looking for a Koonlung K1S with wi-fi instead of the screen, and maybe the waterproof rear remote. I'd add to that list though, must run on capacitor rather than battery. AFAIK the K1S uses a Go-Pro battery so while it's replaceable, it will still swell and fail. I've read instances of exactly that happening already.

Even without the waterproof option, the rear cam is still worth having if your roof folds away under the rear deck or a cover, and you have something fixed and standing proud forward of this that you can mount it on. In my case the covers for the rollover hoops rise above the rear deck by a couple of inches, and the cam mounted on the inboard side on top of one of them clears anything that moves when the roof is opened and closed. It's not an ideal position, but it's still enough to get clear license plates with before they disappear under the boot-line as the car behind closes up.

'US made' is pretty rare these days. Even things assembled in the US are increasingly comprised of parts and raw material sourced from Asia.

Probably not too many on this board are old enough to remember when 'Made in Japan' was kind of a joke, and indicated poor quality?

jap crap was a popular term when I was young, how things turn around eh

This will be made preferably in the US

Murica.jpg

Well I guess I'm dating myself but I sure remember that, actually I think the Japanese built a town in Japan called Usa, so they could legally put" made in USA" on things built there. ;)

The CF-100 should make the OP happy particularly as it is dirt cheap these days.

As for "jap crap" I am old enough to remember this, and our (now) friends from Japan took the rep to heart and completely turned-around their manufacturing processes, so much so that eventually their quality overtook our own in many respects.

I have yet to hear of any US company whose president committed hari-kari over a failure of their company's product...!

but the notion that the name was used to claim that products made there were manufactured in the United States is completely false.

hence the ;)

Back