There's a 512GB microSD card coming in July, but you likely can't afford it

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
http://androidcentral.com/theres-512gb-microsd-card-coming-july-you-likely-cant-afford-it

8803072cc8613984d9ee4dfa2e011a8f.jpg

I think we can afford a 10MB hard drive in 2015
My example was to show that "time solves everything".
Today, we find 512 GB µSD as something amazing (and the prices too :D) ; just imagine what it will be in 10 years from now (and at what prices).

My example was to show that "time solves everything".
Today, we find 512 GB µSD as something amazing (and the prices too :D) ; just imagine what it will be in 10 years from now (and at what prices).

We had virtually the same discussion recently about the huge strides in memory storage vs price and here it is only a month later and number has already jumped from 200 GB to 512GB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the real value of this new 512GB card that seems to be somewhat overlooked is the remarkable bus speed with data transfer rates of up to 300MBps. UHS II Speed Class 3 (U3) will pave the way for true 4K video in future dash cams.

At that price it better come with a GPS tracking service to help me find it when I drop it.
I am pretty sure that I have sucked up 2 micro SD cards with the vacuum so a way to find them before they disappeared into the void of the vacuum would be great!

Imagine that sucker going into read only within the first week o_O

I think the real value of this new 512GB card that seems to be somewhat overlooked is the remarkable bus speed with data transfer rates of up to 300MBps. UHS II Speed Class 3 (U3) will pave the way for true 4K video in future dash cams.
It really has been an interesting field to be in that's for sure. I can't think of any industry, with the possible exception of aerospace, that I would rather have spent my career in.

Bus speeds are just one component - I remember when a 300 baud dial-up connection was pretty much all a home user could reasonably afford or needed and 1200 baud was almost magic. Compare that to today's broadband capabilities.

That's great..
I'll buy one (the 512gb ver.) when the 3TB Version comes out.

Either you can't wait for the Biggest/Fastest/Newest.
Or like most of us..Wait until it's a couple steps down from the top..then the others will become more affordable.

Imagine that sucker going into read only within the first week o_O
In theory if the NAND had the same lifespan as a 64GB card this would last almost ten times longer.

It makes you wonder what the native capacity of the card is as at that small a size you're going to get NAND issues and if the card is 512GB with no way of moving bad blocks out the way it could be the same old story of flipping read only to preserve the data - great for family photos and home movies but not so great for dashcams as lots aren't programmed to handle read only microSD cards as it's not an expected scenario.

In theory if the NAND had the same lifespan as a 64GB card this would last almost ten times longer.

It makes you wonder what the native capacity of the card is as at that small a size you're going to get NAND issues and if the card is 512GB with no way of moving bad blocks out the way it could be the same old story of flipping read only to preserve the data - great for family photos and home movies but not so great for dashcams as lots aren't programmed to handle read only microSD cards as it's not an expected scenario.

This card is specifically being marketed to professional photographers and videographers in fields like journalism where the cost of the card (and alleged reliability) is worth the money to media organizations and high end studios for the increased productivity it can provide. We have to assume they've considered these issues. According to Microdia, "XTRA ELITE™ is especially developed for use in DSLR cameras, high-definition camcorders, and UHS-I (and now II) supporting host devices".

Time will tell.

I've got to admit I've never heard their name mentioned before and it's really hard to actually find a single review of their products anywhere.

Their profile claims they're the second largest memory manufacturer in the world in terms of capacity - for such a large company it's really strange they don't seem to appear in the places you'd expect them to pop up. Not in the lists of top flash memory manufacturers and other than the occasional press release again no reviews anywhere (I'm not counting the three reviews on Amazon!). Their profile sets the alarm bells off!

MICRODIA was founded in 1991 in San Jose, California, by a group of engineers from Texas Instruments and IBM. MICRODIA’s renowned experience in ASIC and VLSI development has helped it grow from strength to strength to become the world’s 2nd largest (in terms of production capacity) flash memory data storage media product manufacturer with a monthly capacity of 26 million units (as of 2014).

The company initially focused on OEM Manufacturing for world famous brands such as Samsung, NTT, Siemens, Nokia, Memorex and many others. Today, using its strength in product innovations & development, experience in years of OEM manufacturing, and flexibility to adjust to market changes, MICRODIA now promotes its own brand of flash memory products covering the complete range of form factors for mobile, tablets to digital cameras, professional DSLR and camcorders.

With the exponential growth in demand for higher reliability, higher speed and higher capacity flash memory cards, MICRODIA developed its unique and patented EPM Technology™ (Enhanced Processing Management) to increase flash memory cards read/write speeds. The company’s heavy investment in continuous R&D has helped it quickly establish itself as a technology leader in the flash memory industry. For many years leading names have been coming to us for business partnerships. Why? The answer is simple. They know we can help shape their future.

Does make you wonder why desktop and laptop computers seem to be stuck in the 256GB, 1TB or 2TB storage capacities for the past few years. I upgraded and fitted a 1TB HD into my MacBook a couple of years ago which does work well, but what's the delay with unveiling larger capacities considering the small size of a 64GB and 128GB micro SD cards?

And talking of drives stuck in the past, why hasn't a larger capacity DVD disc and writer been released, that is backwards compatible so can read older CDs and DVDs, because not everyone wants or indeed trusts cloud storage.

With regard to the 10MB hard drive for the bargain price of only $3398, what year was this unleashed onto the market?

Last edited:
Microdia is a shell company, they have no products other than the marketing hype they generate and they don't have any manufacturing let alone R&D divisions.
This whole thing is a scam.

Back