Hey Garmin: Another feature limited/taken away

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just discovered that Garmin "updated" the "Save Video" functionality to include only 30 seconds of footage (15s before and 15s after) This is in contrast to the previous modes where they saved the current, previous and next segment, all as one three minute clip.
This change makes the "Save video" almost useless as you only have less than 15 seconds to decide whether to save the video or not. Previously, you would have at least a minute.
This is the third thing that makes the 47/57/67 line a downgrade as compared to the previous modes.

1. Lowered bitrate
2. Removed motion detection for parking mode
3. Save video time limit

What's up with that?

So it makes the SD card pretty much useless then if you have to save the videos to the Garmin Cloud instead of the internal card. Yet another scam to make you subscribe to a monthly payment

So it makes the SD card pretty much useless then if you have to save the videos to the Garmin Cloud instead of the internal card. Yet another scam to make you subscribe to a monthly payment
You don't have to use cloud...

Spot the tight brit

Spot the tight brit
Its got nothing to do with being tight at all, its a matter of principle. If you are happy to pay monthly for something that used to be free then crack on.
Rest assured the person to gain will be Garmin together with all the other companies that now "offer" monthly subscriptions.

Its got nothing to do with being tight at all, its a matter of principle. If you are happy to pay monthly for something that used to be free then crack on.
Rest assured the person to gain will be Garmin together with all the other companies that now "offer" monthly subscriptions.
1- You have the recordings on your card, same as with any other cam.
2- Garmin gives you 24 hours of cloud storage for free, and the 57 attempts to send locked files to the cloud at shut-down automatically via wifi which can also be free.
3- You can pay a subscription for more storage if you want to and there's a choice of plans.

I can't see anything bad in these things; you're getting more than most or all other dashcams give you for free.

I don't have any of the older series of their cams so I can't comment directly, but I do see validity in what @lacibaci says, and given their experience with Garmin cams I will agree: better can be done here.

Phil

Sorry if l appear to be thick, so if it records to the SD card as normal, what is the point of the storage option to the cloud?

Until my car got stolen last month l had been using the Garmin 55 which had pretty much no issues at all. Of course with the car going, also went the dash cam!

The insurance company have since paid out on the car and also £500 towards any extras fitted to it.

The new car isnt due till probably December, but l decided to purchase the dash cam, 256 GB SD card and polarizing filter in advance.

In truth l didnt know the Garmin 55 had been superseded with the 57 model till l was in Halfords looking to order a replacement yesterday.

Therefore l had not looked at the specification change till l got home, then read about the cloud storage and more importantly the monthly subscription. I admit this come as a bit of a shock, hence my first comment on here.

But as long as it still saves short videos to the SD card l will keep it. But l did contemplate returning it and going with Nextbase 622. But l still have nightmares about the Nextbase 522 l had prior to the Garmin! Dam thing nearly drove me mad, crashing ans switching off then refusing to switch back on, connection issues with my phone.....the list was endless.

Yes, it still saves all the videos to an SD card. @SawMaster explains it well above. The cloud functionality in x7 models is actually something I like and so far it's been working very well. 24 hour limit for free storage is fair IMHO.
If I had to guess, it is the cloud functionality that is the reason for the "downgrades" I listed above.

Cars still get stolen wtf

Have a look at this

Attachments

• 20211024_195421.jpg
    20211024_195421.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 17
Cars still get stolen wtf
There are several cars a few years old where the value of non-serial-numbered parts (meaning no engine, no frame, etc) are worth as much as a whole running car :rolleyes:Those cars do get stolen a lot.

Phil

BTBR, take a look at the 56. You went from a 55 to looking at the current 57 model. I tested the 57, didn't like it for the features I use, and went back to the 56. I like it over the earier 55.

I would like DC56 with the cloud feature from DC57 :)

Back