Problems with Garmin 57 Dash Cam

Nordo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
After some research, I bought the 57 as a Christmas present for my wife.
We're having a couple of problems with initial setup, and hoping someone can help.

1. The 57 won't keep the country, etc. during the initial setup.
I believe this was a big problem a few years ago; and the solution was to keep the camera fully exposed to as many satellites as possible (to reach a strength of 4 bars), and the camera will update and lock onto local region settings.
I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

2. Much of the more advanced setup is done through the Garmin Drive app. If using an android device, this app has to run on minimum android 9.0.
Our phones and tablets are a few years old, and without rooting them and adding a custom ROM, they won't update themselves to any android later than 8.1.

Anyone have ideas how to help with these problems - in particular with No. 2, as the camera is severely restricted from it's full potential without the Drive app.

The camera can be fully configured without a phone.

The camera can be fully configured without a phone.
One of the reasons I bought the 57 was that it could connect to my phone, making reviewing/saving videos, adjusting controls, etc. a lot quicker and easier.
Using the Garmin Drive app the camera could also WiFi connect to various other devices/networks - like our home network.
You can only access the Garmin Vault and other features like Live Traffic information with the app.
One major issue is updating the camera (software, databases, etc.). This can only be done through the Drive app.

Some of these issues can be solved with a Windows app (Garmin Express), but means having to disconnect the taking the camera out of the car.

Well, you will definitely need a new(ish) phone for all of that.

After some research, I bought the 57 as a Christmas present for my wife.
We're having a couple of problems with initial setup, and hoping someone can help.

1. The 57 won't keep the country, etc. during the initial setup.
I believe this was a big problem a few years ago; and the solution was to keep the camera fully exposed to as many satellites as possible (to reach a strength of 4 bars), and the camera will update and lock onto local region settings.
I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

2. Much of the more advanced setup is done through the Garmin Drive app. If using an android device, this app has to run on minimum android 9.0.
Our phones and tablets are a few years old, and without rooting them and adding a custom ROM, they won't update themselves to any android later than 8.1.

Anyone have ideas how to help with these problems - in particular with No. 2, as the camera is severely restricted from it's full potential without the Drive app.
Did you find any solution to your first problem? Mine keep forgetting the initial settings.
I had a 67W, was working fine, once I noticed that it did not alarmed when I went over the speed limit. Then I noticed it did not turn all the way on, it stopped by select region screen. I set it up. Worked fine until I turned the car off. Turning back on the same thing happened.
Reached out to Garmin, they sent me a replacement unit. It does the same thing. Battery holds the charge, I can record and play back footage from battery power, I can turn it off leave it unplugged the next day I can turn it on but the same initial setup greets me.

The camera needs to get GPS to finish initial setup. Set it up outside and it should be no problem.

The camera needs to get GPS to finish initial setup. Set it up outside and it should be no problem.
nope, that's what the customer support guy told me too. it had good GPS signal. this replacement unit poor signal only 1 bar, but it has signal. still doing the same thing.
The replacement unit has a new battery in it.

One bar may not be enough. Take it somewhere where there are no obstructions around. It's one time setup.

Last edited:
Did that. I took the replacement unit apart, maybe the the antenna were not having a good connection. Got full 4 bars after I put it back together.
Okay now.
The original did that no matter what. I set it up, drove the car 10+ miles and after turning the car off went back to initial settings.

Back