Hey there from Vancouver, Canada

Offroadtoyota

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys found this place after having some issues with my two week old uniden cam 650. I replaced the Chinese off brand cam I had before with this cam. Anyways hoping to find some answers as the manual that comes with the cam is less than useful

maybe not much different to your Chinese cam unfortunately, they just use generic product, a local purchase will have better warranty support though if you can't get it working

I bought it locally from a well known chain store here. The only issue I'm having is the loop recording is wonky at times. If I leave it on continuous record it's fine I just drove for 30 min and it recorded every second but if I set it to loop for 5 min for instance sometimes it randomly stops recording and I gotta fiddle with it to get it going again. Which isn't good because the main reason ingot the cam is cause my truck was hit in a parking lot by a woman on her phone. Long story short she lied to the police and insurance and had a witness in her favor so I had a claim. I got a cam the next day.

It's too bad you didn't find this site before you bought that camera, there are far better cameras available from actual dashcam vendors/manufactures that will provide after sales service.

If it from the well know chain store that I think it is, then my advise is to return it and come back here with advise on what you require in a quality camera.

loop recording not working is a deal breaker

if you have motion detection turned on turn it off

a different brand of memory card may be better also, depends what you have now, Sandisk is generally not recommended

It's too bad you didn't find this site before you bought that camera, there are far better cameras available from actual dashcam vendors/manufactures that will provide after sales service.

If it from the well know chain store that I think it is, then my advise is to return it and come back here with advise on what you require in a quality camera.

Canadian tire lol dam thing cost me nearly 200$

loop recording not working is a deal breaker

if you have motion detection turned on turn it off

a different brand of memory card may be better also, depends what you have now, Sandisk is generally not recommended

OK ya I had motion detection turned on when it was messing up and dammit Ive got a scan disk card... sounds like I should swap that out, I stopped at a gas station and turned 1 min loop on and for the 5 min I had to drive it seemed to be working

Canadian tire lol dam thing cost me nearly 200$

Holy cow!! For that price you could have gotten a real dashcam:D I bet crappytire will take it back....

Well if I was you I would look at the Street Guardian series....very good video, and one of the highest rated for night. Not to mention probably the highest level of support you will find, both in the US (Pier28) and in Canada ( Calgary Dashcam)

SG (jokiin) has also hinted that they will be releasing some new models soon, so again depending on your wants there are many good choices out there.

I think this unit might also be something to watch for:

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/viofo-a119-car-dvr-factory-sample-tests.16905/

Like what a black vue or something

I have no experience with Blackvue, but from what I can glean from the forums here they don't see to be doing a whole lot better than many cameras that are priced a lot lower.
You can see on my signature what cameras I have had experience with, but have also had an Itronics ( for 3 years). So far out of all of those the Itronics was the best performing even though it is getting a bit dated and has a fairly low bitrate compared with newer others.

I just think that for $200 bucks, even those low CDN$ you could do a lot better. I suspect that you were influenced by the Uniden name, but that sure looks like it is a common Chinese camera that has been rebranded. Jokiin can confirm that I would bet.

Ha and here I thought I was upgrading.... this forum was buried like 3 pages deep on Google wish it was the first thing that came up.... this is Turing out like my stereo issue all I want is something a little more modern that my phone hooks up too and isn't 500$ lol

From what I have seen this new A119 does look like a pretty good unit for the price, but of course after sales support will not be very good as normally cameras like that are sold by overseas online shops. Again if you want good video and good after sales service, then someone like Pier28/Calgary Dashcam would be the place to go.

. I suspect that you were influenced by the Uniden name, but that sure looks like it is a common Chinese camera that has been rebranded. Jokiin can confirm that I would bet.

yes it's just a generic product with their name on it, all of their dashcam products are unfortunately, a shame because it's a well known name and they could certainly be doing a lot better things for their brand

Thanks for the info guys... it's really disturbing that they do things like this. I mean I'm not really into cheeping out on my 35k truck here I thought I was buying a quality product from a name brand sold at a pretty decent store a big box store but still looks like I'll be ditching the this cam and looking into something else well at least now I can refer people to somewhere decent when looking for info

Just shared this forum on two of the biggest toyota pages I know of should get the word out

Just shared this forum on two of the biggest toyota pages I know of should get the word out
It does help, there's a lack of information out there and people do exactly what you did, go to a major retailer and look for a known brand thinking that's the better option, not the case unfortunately as you and others before you have found out

It does help, there's a lack of information out there and people do exactly what you did, go to a major retailer and look for a known brand thinking that's the better option, not the case unfortunately as you and others before you have found out

Dash cams are such a new thing well here they are at least and becoming very popular quickly everyone is jumping on board. Looks like I'll be returning this cam tomorrow... really interested in the sgzc12rc I like how stealthy it is I've got enough high powered electronics goin on already inside the truck keeping things tucked away is very appealing

really interested in the sgzc12rc

Yes, if that form factor is to your liking then you will be very happy with that unit. Be aware though that I believe the GPS is in the main unit, so if you tuck it away you will not have that function. That may not matter to you though. Personally GPS is pretty low on my priorities in a dashcam.

Yes, if that form factor is to your liking then you will be very happy with that unit. Be aware though that I believe the GPS is in the main unit, so if you tuck it away you will not have that function. That may not matter to you though. Personally GPS is pretty low on my priorities in a dashcam.
no GPS in this model, the fact that they most often get hidden away means it doesn't work as intended anyway

Back