Hi All - New Guy from Las Vegas

runawayCow2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, My name is Will and i'm new to the forum. I'm a bit of a car nut, i really like taking good care of my cars and doing fun projects and mods on them. One thing i was considering was installing a low profile dash cam in my dodge Challenger (its new, i'm protective!)

Like i mentioned, i live in Las Vegas. My wife and i keep our cars garaged when we're home, but my wife parks outside in direct sun for about 4 hours in the morning till the sun goes behind a building, and i park my Challenger at school in the lot during the day (full sun). Did i mention my car is black? I've got the windshield tinted, but i fear the Mobius will melt

Anyone have experience with the Mobius in the US - Southwest region where it gets 110+ outside regularly and even hotter in a black car?

I also have done a decent amount of research but theres not that much info except one thread on these forums about a capacitor? Will the battery explode on me? Will i need a capacitor? Does the capacitor fit inside the housing? i'm looking for lowest profile possible.

My plans are to take apart the dash and splice into the 12v lead for the cigarette lighter, then run a wire behind the dash, up the A pillar, across the roof to the center of the upper windshield and mount the camera behind the rear view mirror. I would have to splice the wire into the USB power wire, i've got tons of spares around to mess around with. I'd do the same with my wife's car as well.

I love picking up new hobbies and learning all i can about electronics. I'm out of school for the summer and this seems like a super fun project to keep me occupied! I just want to make sure i pick up the correct hardware.

Thanks! See you around the forum!

Just realized this video answered a bunch of my questions hahaha!

So anyway, I'm mooching about on YouTube through my weird and wonderful list of subscriptions, and I notice this video...

I thought that it's a pretty neat way to make a VERY discrete dashcam with a remote lens mounted on a suitable little lens mount. The kit itself is available here and looks pretty cool, if a little fiddly. (Not a major issue for people who are comfortable assembling delicate components, but a bit scary for some.)

The kit really needs a little more finishing to make ideal and a little more robust, but this definitely has some serious potential. :)

I have a Mobius and lived in a hot environment. My solution was simple: remove it. With a metal tripod thread and screw, it just spins on and off simply.

I have had mine with a battery for 6 months without issue so far. I prefer the battery for the occasional parking mode recording and using it outside the car.

My mobius sits in the hot Australian sun all day every day with no issues other than a bit of sunburn on the case , I have mine wired in the same as you intend but don't forget you need to reduce your power supply to 5 volt 1 amp. runnning the capacitor purely for safety as I have seen lipos catch fire , they fit in the case easily .

We have not reached the super warm weather in Southern California yet, but I hide my Mobius under a white cap. I also have a sun shade in the car for hot days. So far so goood.

Thanks Rexy!! I wouldn't have known to reduce volts/amp. I'm doing some body work now, hopefully I can wrap it up and get to the camera next week also thanks GJHS and Bob for the replies as we'll!

Welcome Will. I've been using the Mobius with a capacitor instead of the battery for 3 months now and it's been super reliable. It's fits inside the unit (where the battery was) and can easily be swapped back at anytime.
The Mobius is great fun to play with and very adaptable for other uses too (and can record for approx. 1.0 - 1.5 hrs with the Lipo battery it comes with).
Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
you will need the supercap in those temps.....
I removed my super cap to install battery while playing with the camera outside of the car...forgot to reinstall the supercap....remembered the next day and the battery was already puffed up. It was probably 90 degrees when this happened with my car sitting in the sun for a good portion of the day before I remembered. (side note, my mobius is powered 24/7 with a "multisafer" which might have contributed to the excessive heat...not sure how it would do if the mobius was off all day in the sun)

another side note-you can use your dome light/mirror light to provide power if you are hardwiring but will need a 12v to 5v converter

Having it powered in that heat is what causes the issue

agreed...my mobius heat sinks are constantly hot.

I think the battery might still puff if sitting in direct sun(even while off), especially in Vegas in the summer...just an assumption.

Back