Hiding the Cable

kvmapr

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a G1W for nearly a month now, and other than some initial card formatting issues it has worked flawlessly for me. I'm happy with the product, especially for the price I paid.

But I haven't found a great solution for hiding the camera cable that runs from the camera to the power port in my truck (a cigarette lighter by another name).

I wanted to throw the question out there and ask how other folks are hiding, minimizing, or concealing the visibility of the cable in their vehicle. Share your thoughts?

Thanks,
KVmapr

what sort of car? I've fitted cameras in all sorts of cars and never had issues hiding the cables behind the trims

what sort of car? I've fitted cameras in all sorts of cars and never had issues hiding the cables behind the trims

Yep. Pretty much go where the mfg went with wires. If it's towards the top of the windshield go straight up and tuck it under the headliner. Then over to and behind either A pillar trim down to behind the dash, to behind the center stack and come out beside the power port (if you're still going to use the cigarette plug on the wire). If it's a 12v lead you might as well just wire directly to the back of the power port which leaves it completely hidden and leaves the power port free. If it's 5v and the 12v to 5v converter is in the plug you might wire a female cigarette lighter plug behind the power port. Usually there is room right there and if not, extend it a bit to where there is.

Thanks for the responses. It's a 2014 Toyota Tacoma pickup. I thought the same, about running it behind the trip. But I'm a bit leery. Along the top of the windshield the trim is snug, but I might be able to get the cable in. But down the column the trim is absolutely tight. So without loosening the trim some how I don't know how I could get the cable in there. I've never tried loosening the trim before and that's what makes me leery.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. It's a 2014 Toyota Tacoma pickup. I thought the same, about running it behind the trip. But I'm a bit leery. Along the top of the windshield the trim is snug, but I might be able to get the cable in. But down the column the trim is absolutely tight. So without loosening the trim some how I don't know how I could get the cable in there. I've never tried loosening the trim before and that's what makes me leery.

Google. Search for "toyota tacoma a pillar trim removal" and you'll get a bunch of hits for toyota tacoma forums where guys are doing things like installing guages or whatever. Detailed how-tos for doing whatever you might want to do. for example: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-using-blendmount-rear-view-mirror-mount.html scroll down past the mirror mount on this one for the A pillar trim removal.

I've never tried loosening the trim before and that's what makes me leery.
If you're not a big DIY type of guy and have never messed with car trim before, you should be leery. In my experience with a limited number of car-installation projects, you always end up breaking or loosening some small tiny clip. Some people don't care about it, but I'm a bit obsessive and ever-so-slightly loose trim is a pain for me.

If your truck is so new and you're one of those who notices minor details, you could always ask for help at your local audio installation shops. Those guys generally know about disassembling and reassembling trim pieces without actually breaking anything. Sure, they'll charge you something but chances are your truck will look as good as new after the installation.

If your truck is so new and you're one of those who notices minor details, you could always ask for help at your local audio installation shops.

Good advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing when my unit arrives, since I'm not confident in my do-it-yourself abilities. Going to first ask my Toyota dealer if they will do it on my 2011 RAV4. If not, there are lots of car audio installers in my city to choose from. For me, it's worth a few extra dollars for the peace of mind of not breaking anything/voiding a warranty/damaging an air bag, etc.

Good advice! This is exactly what I plan on doing when my unit arrives, since I'm not confident in my do-it-yourself abilities. Going to first ask my Toyota dealer if they will do it on my 2011 RAV4. If not, there are lots of car audio installers in my city to choose from. For me, it's worth a few extra dollars for the peace of mind of not breaking anything/voiding a warranty/damaging an air bag, etc.

a car audio installer would be a better choice

I just run the cable round the passenger's side to the cigarette lighter. I tape the cable to the windshield, then to the right pillar, and then above the glove box to the cig lighter.

Great ideas everyone, thanks. I'll check out what google can find for me and see if I find anything that I'm comfortable doing. Otherwise, the audio installer sounds like a good idea.

Back