Hiding white text on camera

Pariah Zero

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Panorama G, Street Guardian SG9665GPS
I own a Panorama G, which has one problem: Bright white text that says "Safe Driving Black Box" on the front. It kinda draws the eye to the camera.

The first thought I had to hide it was electrical tape - but the stuff gets gooey, doesn't like high temperatures, and doesn't come off clean.

So other than something permanent and/or destructive (like painting over it), or messy, like electrical tape, what other options have people used?

can't remember what it's called but someone posted previously about a type of eraser for rubbing this back to get rid of it, it's only silkscreened on but is tricky to get off cleanly

can't remember what it's called but someone posted previously about a type of eraser for rubbing this back to get rid of it, it's only silkscreened on but is tricky to get off cleanly

I think you are referring to Niko's post on using graffiti remover. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...o-from-dashcamera-body-shell.5814/#post-68570

Edit: My preference has been to remove the guts, or at least the front of the camera casing and spray paint it with Rustoleum Ultra Flat camo paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the search feature here has trouble unearthing older posts compared to other forums.

not really, I just can't remember the name of the product that was used, I'm sure it would be indexed, my necktop computer is running low on memory unfortunately

I don't know. It seems like I have more trouble searching for older threads here and a few other members have mentioned it but perhaps it just feels that way. It does seem to be biased to bringing up newer threads when I search though.

the product I read about was only mentioned in the last week or so, unfortunately as I read every post it's a bit much to recall exactly where it was, too long ago from a post count perspective

Electrical tape should work, cope with the heat and come off cleanly, I suspect you used some cheap stuff.

I used a dremel with a very fine abrasive bit, guess it does the same job as a fibre pen but with less effort. Followed by a quick polish with a bit of t-cut equivalent and you can't see where the writing was.

I got my fiber pen from Radio Shack, I think... Oddly enough, I bought it for my electronics hobby a few years back.

The notion that I could use it for a dash cam didn't even occur to me, but it does make sense. I can't argue that it's a very precise way to sand an area.

For that matter, I do enough airbrushing for yet another hobby that I keep 3000 grit sandpaper in stock, as well as polishing compounds. I've got the tools to sand down the silkscreen, and then buff the thing to a high gloss. (Though gloss doesn't seem desirable for a dash cam)

My #1 consideration is voiding my warranty - I don't want to do that. Painting and abrasives seem likely to do that. Maybe in a year...

Perhaps a coat of flat black plasti dip, that should peel right off.

Back