Highest bitrate dashcam and 128GB microSDXC support?

jpiszcz

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently use two Genius DVR-FHD590s and they work great; however the video isn't a super high bit-rate and it is kind of grainy:

VIDEO: [H264] 1920x1080 24bpp 29.970 fps 8026.5 kbps (979.8 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: qt
minor_version: 0
compatible_brands: qt

I do not follow the forums here that often so I had a few questions for those that do:

1. What dashcams support microSDXC 128GB cards? (The FHD590 only supports 32GB)
2. What dashcams support the highest bitrate (clearest video)?
3. Do any dashcams capture at 4k or is 1080p still the max resolution?

Thanks,

Justin.

Bitrate isn't everything, different chipsets have different requirements, in models that support 128gb cards you can find anything from 10mbit up to 25mbit or more, maybe best to list what else you're looking for in a camera and see which ones are the best fit for what you want

Dashcams dont run the extreme bitrates that some actioncams do ( upwards of 100 Mbit )
I think the best ones run around 18-20 Mbit
Support for 128 Gb cards is still a bit hit and miss, some like panorama and some SG producte support them, so do Lukas but they are low on bitrates.
There are allso others that can take a 128 Gb card, but its not supported from the factory.

Bitrates is also a bit problematic, depend on the chipset used, some do really well with moderate bitrates where yet others need really high bitrates to perform the same.

In addition, do any dashcams use GPS to set/record the time? I find if you disconnect your dashcam and/or the battery is not charged the time is lost and then you have to reset it again.

As of Jan 30 2016, what are the top recommendations for dashcams in the US these days?

Some dashcams have no problem keeping the time, but i have allso seen a fjew of my own loosing that setting due to me not driving in a fjew days.

It is a bit annoying in regard to getting / finding a file i need to save when the camera keep resetting to some default time/date every time i go for a drive.
But other then that i am not too bothered with that, if it come down to it i am sure there will be no doubt as to where and when somthing happned thats captured by any of my cameras.

Its only on my main front camera i use time /date stamp + speed, the other cameras is set up to just have plain video with no form of overlays in the footage.
And my main SG9665GC do not loose track of time date.

But this is not a problem on the higher ned cameras i mentioned, they seem to have a backup power source to keep the time going, and this a power source beside the capasitors or lipo battery thats in the camera to make sure last recording can get finalized in case of a crash where cam get dislodged from main power source.

There is a fjew sellers in the US now days, but the one that seem to stand out is Jon at pier28 https://shop.pier28.com/

Last edited:
Back