Highest of the high end and widest IR range

Hotfootin

Reaction score
What would be the highest of the high end in vehicle security cameras? If willing to spend upwards of a couple thousand dollars for a system? Just curious, but I've been looking around and there seems to be a wide discrepancy between quality of image for any vehicle camera I can find marketed and that of the good compact handheld video recorders.

What dashcam has the sensor with the widest visual recording range (deep into the IR range and up into the UV slightly) that doesn't require swapping to a night mode to record at night?

If I mounted a pair of highbeam IR floodlights on the bull bar of my truck what camera could be counted on to provide the best (readable liscence plates) video quality driving down an unlit country road?

What happens to a dashcam rated to operate in -20 Deg weather when I start my truck in -40 degree weather and the camera automatically boots up? Why wouldn't it work? Would the chips wiring just crack due to the rate of temperature change involved? Would the new memory chips loose thier data in the cold like the old oned used to?

So right now is it the "Itronics ITB-100HD SP Smart Plus" that is the best for video quality that might stand up in court for identification and license plate readability in low to no light situations given some suplemental IR lighting?

I've spent some time looking and will get one that I can plan on having useable video quality. I've noticed dashcam recordings are routinely discounted in court briefs because of unclarity when it comes to identification purposes.

If your camera is used 24h/day because of parking mode enabled I think the temperature is not a problem because the camera will stay warm.
Always the cameras must stay inside the car, behind the windshield and under the cleaning wipers area.

Now some things which are not depending very much about the money:
- digital cameras are not so great for night recording. This is a fact, a truth, so we must to search for advanced technology if possible
- wide screen lens are not good compared with a normal lens if you are thinking to small details like characters from the license plate.
Even the stupid marketing is promoting wider lens as a good feature (most of them are false values), I think the best is to stay under 120 degrees angle.
- even people are paying a lot of money for cameras with better performance on night recording this is not really good if you want to read license plates. Because your car beam lights is too much reflecting on the the front vehicles plates and the increased light sensitivity feature of the camera will make things worst and instead of characters you will see a big white blob. You need to change the car angle to left or right, not closer or farther, if you want to see the numbers or if you are in a city, just close the lights.
These cameras are good in night mode but this is helping you only if you want to see other details like buildings, trees or something around the street.

So if you don't find the technology to face these problems, save your thousands and stay in just few hundreds. Your choice is a good one with 100HD-SP also because the Itronics have a bigger 1/2.7" sensor than many other cameras and also because is almost the only one which provides white lights inside cities were the CFL lights are ugly, reddish. The white light image from 100HD is the most pleasant from all cameras I saw until now.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited by a moderator:
Back