Hit & run over the weekend.

zapps

Reaction score
Hello

A neighbor's car was damaged significantly by someone who hit it & drove overnight. It's got me wanting a dashcam! I've read a bunch and have my criteria. I want to either get a single 2ch camera, or two 1ch camera. I also need to find a solution to record events at least over the duration of a weekend (>48 hours) as I tend to not drive on the weekend. Ideally a solution that allows around 60 hours of recording for the purpose of parking protection.

I'm looking for a dash cam with the following qualities:

1. No screen or remote screen
2. Wi-Fi for control / viewing of files. I want to never have to touch the camera after installation.
3. Very good night ability
4. Ability to be used with a single (or double?) battery backup
5. Support for large SD cards (>64gb)
6. Excellent parking mode, would like to be able to adjust buffer length (maybe 1 minute before impact, 2 minutes after impact)

7. Nice to have - ability to output video to an external screen

Budget is around $300, may spend more if it the price is worth it

Thanks for any suggestions!

panorama products i think all serve your needs, they have the best prebuffering, but i dont think its adjustable.

For coverage at your house you are best off with a IP camera aimed at the car, i have this myself on my car parked in a dark yard behind my house.
Only severe snow or rain or fog will keep me from knowing who get near my car, and i have glorious 1080p footage to prove that :)

+ as a bonus i allso have coverage inside my apartment and can see thru the peephole who is at my door.

Why not check out the no.1 brand in Korea, The Lukas. I would recommend you to have a research for Lukas LK-7950. It comes sony lens with g sensor and motion detector, which will record and save the data automatically after there is any impact during the time of driving and parking. You won't need to worry about losing any important data because it will saved separately in a micro sd card, which means the daily driving videos and the impact data is separated into two SD card(8+8GB based on what you need you can add a 64 GB sd card or use two 32 GB card but extra money). It provide low voltage cut out, which you don't have to worry about the electricity in your vehicle. Also you can add one more CPL filter in order to make the video more clear by reducing the sunlight reflection. It's operating temperature is from -20℃ to 70 which the Lukas cams can solve the important problem of overheat comparing with the other brand in the market cannot It will be smaller than the other Lukas two channels cam and it is working in wifi too. Simply you can download the app in your smart phone and view your videos recording, or you can take out the sd card then insert into any computer and watch it.
Seriously, The Lukas is one of the best. Check our retail store (my user name) in Vancouver BC.
You can search us in google and check the installation photos if you are curious. Which we are the sole distributor of Lukas in Vancovuer and we have 11 dealerships holding our brand such as the Openroad companies including Porsche Langley, the BMW store, miniyaletown, toyota, Hyundai.

If I was to go for 2 1-channel cameras, which Panorama / Lukas products would be recommended?

Well one ch. I would recommend you the lk7900 or the lk7700. They are both 1080p and have g sensor and motion sensor. They do not come with a touch screen monitor. The main price difference of this two is because of 7900 comes with a Sony lens and 7700 comes with a Samsung lens. If you are purchasing the one ch camera, I would recommend you to purchase a lk530 battery box, it is an separate battery box connect to your fuse box in order not to affect your vehicle electricity, and the most important is when your car is in parking mode, your car would not have enough power to provide the cam for that long and that is why you need lk530 to make it work in motion detecting. You can either use lk290 or lk350 (battery box too) but it will use your car electricity.

So at the end, I would recommend you to purchase lk7700/7900 + Lk530.

If I was to go for 2 1-channel cameras, which Panorama / Lukas products would be recommended?
I'm not going to make any recommendations because I don't have enough knowledge of all the products available to even make an attempt.

Just want to caution you about vendor provided advice where the only products they mention are those they sell - they may not be totally objective in their views.

Just want to caution you about vendor provided advice where the only products they mention are those they sell - they may not be totally objective in their views.

Understood!

You can do more research about the dash cam first, and compare about the pros and cons. But I can surely tell you, you get what you paid. Don't find some cheap dash cam in the market that doesn't record anything. That's why people are thinking to purchase a BMW or a Nissan. I am not trying to say Nissan is not a good car, they all are good but you know the quality is different if you really have a car accident. Seriously if the Lukas is not good enough, there won't be dealerships such as Porsche and BMW carrying. We don't want to pursuade anyone to do something, but everyone makes their own choice.

I forgot to ask, my rear wind shield has 35% tint, what measures does a cam need to see clearly through tint?

I forgot to ask, my rear wind shield has 35% tint, what measures does a cam need to see clearly through tint?

You'll want a dashcam that has EV controls (Exposure Value) If you boost these values you can compensate for tint.

Last edited:
My car has very dark rear glass. I've used 3 different cameras as 'rear view' (SG9665GC, A118-C and G1W-H) and all three performed adequately during daylight. Night time it was a different matter, only the SG9665GC provided consistently useful video.

I don't know what the percentage is but this is how dark the glass is (piece of white paper taped to the outside and inside) -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sg9665xx-a118xx-and-b40xx.11698/#post-151367

A little further down in that thread are some video samples of various cameras mounted in the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
My car has very dark rear glass. I've used 3 different cameras as 'rear view' (SG9665GC, A118-C and G1W-H) and all three performed adequately during daylight. Night time it was a different matter, only the SG9665GC provided consistently useful video.

I don't know what the percentage is but this is how dark the glass is (piece of white paper taped to the outside and inside) -

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-sg9665xx-a118xx-and-b40xx.11698/#post-151367

A little further down in that thread are some video samples of various cameras mounted in the rear.

It's hard to beat the night quality performance of the SG9665GC. Even Santa uses 2 of them for a dual channel setup. :)
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...-rear-ended-by-a-truck-front-rear-view.13084/

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to beat the night quality performance of the SG9665GC. ...
I don't want to sound like I'm promoting the SG9665GC but I really do have to agree with this.

I had originally bought 2 SG9665GC's and 2 A118-C's with the intention of using the GC's as front cams in our 2 cars and the A118-C's as rear cams. With the dark glass in my car the night video was so poor I decided to use the 2nd GC as my rear cam and put both A118-C's in my wife's car as her windows are not tinted anywhere near as dark as mine.

Thanks guys, that's useful info.

I think the remote style of the SGZC12SG suits me better than the SG9665GC.

I also read that SG is coming out with something enticing for dual channel sometime later this year. I'm wondering if I should wait to see what they come out with...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D What Should I Buy? 2