How do you reduce the dashboard glare?

Noonamee

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
I read around the forum and I've seen 2 popular ways that people are using quite effectively, using the mat and CPF filter. I have other ideas but I'm not sure if it works. You can either tinting the windshield or cover dashboard with less shiny leather. Let me explain this:

- In most states, windshield is not allow to be tinted but if VLT is from 80-100% maybe legit IMO as it's hard to recognize the difference. Manufactures claim that it can reduce the glare of incoming traffic headlight and excessive heat from the sun so I assume that it can also reduce the glare of dashboard. However, it's quite pricey

- Most dashboard is made of fake leather, which is plastic. In addition, using mat will trap lots of dust and you have to wash it. We can cover it with real matte leather, it should absorb light and less reflection than plastic. But it requires lots of effort and not possible to many people.

How do you think?

the ways you have highlighted are literally the only decent ways.... or move to England, we have no sun... literally none.... the sky cries every day :(

I read around the forum and I've seen 2 popular ways that people are using quite effectively, using the mat and CPF filter. I have other ideas but I'm not sure if it works. You can either tinting the windshield or cover dashboard with less shiny leather. Let me explain this:

- In most states, windshield is not allow to be tinted but if VLT is from 80-100% maybe legit IMO as it's hard to recognize the difference. Manufactures claim that it can reduce the glare of incoming traffic headlight and excessive heat from the sun so I assume that it can also reduce the glare of dashboard. However, it's quite pricey

- Most dashboard is made of fake leather, which is plastic. In addition, using mat will trap lots of dust and you have to wash it. We can cover it with real matte leather, it should absorb light and less reflection than plastic. But it requires lots of effort and not possible to many people.

How do you think?

Leather wouldn't work any better than a typical dash board for reducing glare and it will gather dust just like anything else. Leather probably wouldn't hold up too well in the long run under such harsh conditions. A good dash mat works extremely well in what has been two years of experience for me. It certainly doesn't need to be "washed" either. Every few months a brief going over with an adhesive lint roller will have it looking as good as new in no time at all.

Lint roller - that's a new one! I like it.

Leather wouldn't work any better than a typical dash board for reducing glare and it will gather dust just like anything else. Leather probably wouldn't hold up too well in the long run under such harsh conditions. A good dash mat works extremely well in what has been two years of experience for me. It certainly doesn't need to be "washed" either. Every few months a brief going over with an adhesive lint roller will have it looking as good as new in no time at all.
Couldn't agree more. I don't know what kind of fabric my DIY dashmat is but it's not very prone to gather dust, or if it is, it's not very noticeable. In 2,5 years I've only "cleaned" it twice and didn't notice any significative amounts of dust in the roller. :)

the type of tint film used on front windows is ok to look through yourself but is generally not good in front of the camera, either a good dashmat or CPL, possibly both, depends on the vehicle and camera you have as to what is the best approach

the type of tint film used on front windows is ok to look through yourself but is generally not good in front of the camera, either a good dashmat or CPL, possibly both, depends on the vehicle and camera you have as to what is the best approach

A good dash mat + CPL is killer! :)

In 2,5 years I've only "cleaned" it twice and didn't notice any significative amounts of dust in the roller. :)

Living on a dirt road in a rural area we can get quite a lot of dust when it's dry out, so I can't go that long without using the lint roller but I'm always amazed by how well it works. I remember the first time I noticed how dusty the dash mat had become I really didn't want to have to remove it and then reinstall it because that would be a royal PITA. Then I remembered my lint rollers that I use in my photo studio to clean up matte black velvet backdrops and other things before a shoot and it was the perfect tool for this too! Highly recommend this solution!

So CPL and dashmat turn out to be the winners! But do you remove the filter when driving at night for those that don't have CPL built in ?

Couldn't agree more. I don't know what kind of fabric my DIY dashmat is but it's not very prone to gather dust, or if it is, it's not very noticeable. In 2,5 years I've only "cleaned" it twice and didn't notice any significative amounts of dust in the roller. :)
Maybe I'll do more often as I usually eat in the car :p

...do you remove the filter when driving at night for those that don't have CPL built in ?
I leave my CPLs on all the time including the rear which has privacy glass.

Would you recommend removing this tint if you purchase a car that has it installed?

So CPL and dashmat turn out to be the winners!
A dashmat will take care of all the reflections that could potentially render the footage useless (see this). If you want to go the extra mile and have a "perfect" picture, then use a CPL filter to reduce the glare caused by lights or external reflections. I think it's a bit overkill to use both but that's just me. :rolleyes:

Back