How does one choose a dash cam?

mican

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello experts,

I want to get a dash cam, but I am confused with all the information. The requirements that come to my head are as follows:
1. Small and/or doesn't attract attention and doesn't invite someone to break into the car
2. Reliable
3. Records without substantial gaps
4. Has a G-sensor
5. A second channel for the rear view would be a plus or should I get a second camera?
6. Not too pricey

Thanks! :?:

7. need parking mode?
8. decent night video?

budget?

jamesbcd said:
7. need parking mode?
8. decent night video?

budget?

I am not sure what the parking mode is... Decent night video on the other hand I think is a must. I am not sure about the budget. I guess I am trying to understand what the reasonable minimum should be.

Thanks.

9. Full HD or not.

I have been choosing between Jokiins dashcam a GS-1000 Based. The F500LHD and 808 #18 DR32. All 3 is a good camera what i have read and looking at videos and reviews on. But im going for Jokiins camera. Best picture of them all. No parking mode but i will hardwire it to the main battery. So i suggest to PM Jokiin here on the forum and he will gladly share you all the information about his camera both with movie clips of it.

Im sorry about that Jokiin, then i did missunderstood you, that things like that can happend. So it has motion dectection so it will record if some one park infront of you or walk by the car?

Sweguy said:
Im sorry about that Jokiin, then i did missunderstood you, that things like that can happend. So it has motion dectection so it will record if some one park infront of you or walk by the car?

yes, parking mode works by motion detection

jokiin said:
Sweguy said:

yes, parking mode works by motion detection
Okay. Thanks for clearing it out :) and to you Mican i say go for Jokiins cam, never seen a good video that can record, really impressed about the quality for the price.

Without knowing your budget it's a little tricky but I just invested in a VicoVation TF2+, they have a nice range to choose from too:

Here is the review I did... this camera has a g-sensor, but no GPS or parking mode. If you want a very high quality output with GPS and live in Australia then thats an easy choice... Jokiin's A2S60! Here is the quality showing the video

I bought my TF2+ from here http://qualitydashcams.com/product.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Milamber said:
If you want a very high quality output with GPS and live in Australia then thats an easy choice... Jokiin's A2S60! Here is the quality showing the video

appreciate the recommendation, I can actually supply to other countries, (sadly for anyone in Australia I can actually supply to other countries cheaper than I can in my own country) the downside though to be able to do it affordably the delivery is quite slow, around 25 days to most destinations, still working on trying to improve that, or alternatively get a better rate from an express company such as DHL, Fedex etc than we can currently get, actively trying to fix the freight issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweguy said:
9. Full HD or not.

Really don't care.

So i suggest to PM Jokiin here on the forum and he will gladly share you all the information about his camera both with movie clips of it.

Thank you. I will.

Milamber said:
Without knowing your budget it's a little tricky but I just invested in a VicoVation TF2+, they have a nice range to choose from too:

VicoVation does seem pricey but also with its logo and size it seems to me that it will attract too much attention... I don't want to have to remove the camera every time I leave the car.

jokiin said:
appreciate the recommendation, I can actually supply to other countries, (sadly for anyone in Australia I can actually supply to other countries cheaper than I can in my own country) the downside though to be able to do it affordably the delivery is quite slow, around 25 days to most destinations, still working on trying to improve that, or alternatively get a better rate from an express company such as DHL, Fedex etc than we can currently get, actively trying to fix the freight issue

The problem with Fedex, DHL, and such, at least in Canada, is that they charge arbitrarily big brokerage fees on the receiving end.

If you can afford the postage then it's definitely the camera to get given the camera cost and quality, also comes with regular firmware updates. To put it simple, you won't get video quality any better it has 15mb/sec footage... It pretty much speaks for itself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mican said:
The problem with Fedex, DHL, and such, at least in Canada, is that they charge arbitrarily big brokerage fees on the receiving end.

the bigger problem right now is it would add $40 to the cost if I sent via Fedex or DHL which is just ridiculous for something that weighs 500gm, the fact that they have a built n Lipo battery is a major issue, for most carriers it's just an excuse to slap a ludicrous price on the delivery

jokiin said:
mican said:

the bigger problem right now is it would add $40 to the cost if I sent via Fedex or DHL which is just ridiculous for something that weighs 500gm, the fact that they have a built n Lipo battery is a major issue, for most carriers it's just an excuse to slap a ludicrous price on the delivery

Well, they can easily add another $40 and more + tax when it arrives... That's why most of Canadian online buyers avoid ebay sellers who ship with Fedex and UPS as much as possible. I once paid $70 extra for a graphics card.

Back