How Often Do You Review Your Dash Cam Videos?

SteveFL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH, DR650S-2CH, DR750LW-2CH
Do you review your videos every day or do you only review your videos if you have a reason to such as damage to your car or some event that you witnessed while driving?

Not often and not even from one of my 6 cameras in the car, but you do have to "reset" the FAT on the memory card once in a while with a fresh format on PC or in camera or both, and i do that about every 3-4 weeks, but do take into account i only drive like 1.5 hour every 2-3 days and all my memory cards are 64 Gb or 128 Gb.

When something happen i want to put on youtube i just make a mental note of the time and place, and then grab that off 1-2 or 3 cameras when i get home.
And when i have the memory card in the reader i also make sure the files on the memory cards correspond to my latest drives, and i make sure all last files in sessions can launch in a player on my PC, and then i also do the same to random files across the card.

This verification and copy of a single 3 minute file i need for youtube take me about 5 - 6 minutes for a 64 Gb card, dont play the whole files i look at, just that they can launch in player on PC, and if they can do that then the rest of the 3 minute file is properly also alright.

Only if needed.

When I'm stopped in traffic I take a glance to see if the recording light is on although that's only going to detect about half of the possible malfunctions (sometimes the recording light can still flash but the cam isn't working properly).
I cover enough miles that most weeks I have something I'd like to review so cards regularly get pulled and I take a quick glance to see that all files appear to be present and I check that the last one for each journey isn't corrupted because the last file from each driving session will be the one you need after an accident.
I have more than one front cam exactly for the purpose of reducing the chance of not capturing important footage. If one malfunctioned there's a good chance the other cam is still working - the only likely reason for two cams to fail at the same time is power supply but my glance at the cam when stopped should spot that.

I have a couple of 32Gb cards that I rotate on a regular basis. I set a reminder on the calendar on my phone to swap the cards over once a fortnight. I do very few miles now I've retired, rarely enough to fill the card in a fortnight, so when I remove a card the files get reviewed on Dashcam Viewer or Registrator on the laptop to make sure all is ok.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a new toy.. I checked almost daily. The novelty soon wears off and now only check occasionally (monthly ?) and then more to confirm it is still working. In almost a year of having a cam.. there is yet to be a video or incident worth sharing... which, is probably a good thing.

Almost never because my A119 will beep if it is not recording. I have good dashcams and I trust them. But because I am also testing cameras in some way I am forced to check the videos.

enjoy,
Mtz

Almost never because my A119 will beep if it is not recording. I have good dashcams and I trust them. But because I am also testing cameras in some way I am forced to check the videos.

enjoy,
Mtz
Not when it's asking to format the card.
I have driven days without noticing that A119 was not recording nor beeping when it's prompting for format.
Since it's wedge shaped, you don't see it unless you move your head underneath.

I drove A119 from early beta testing times, in winter. Never failed to me in all these 8 months. Not a single engine start. I am using Transcend and Samsung Evo cards.

Into the same car I have also the Itronics ITB-250HD which have already 3 years and is still doing great job:

The Itronics is working with its original card and was not recording maybe one time/year and at that times the beep sound announced me. Formatting the card solved the problem.

Maybe I am a lucky guy.

enjoy,
Mtz

I flag any interesting events with the button. Anything potentially important and I copy and review all the flagged files that night. Or every few days when I feel it's worth formatting the card.
I don't review files that aren't flagged. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Yeah if you had to preview all your footage at 1:1 then you will spend just as much time in front of the computer as you was in the car seat recording all that stuff.
When i get a dual channel camera i will start to use the event button on it, it is after all in those 2 places most things happen, and when i mix up a idiot spanning 3 cameras ( rear - side - front or front - side - rear ) its just to prolong the time his idiotic ass is exposed on youtube for the world to see.

When I first got a dashcam, it was a novelty as others have said, I checked it every day or two. Now though, I just try to catch the memory card before it gets full (about 16 hours footage on my 128GB card, takes about 1-2 weeks I think) and basically check over any files that I have flagged as interesting. I'll also check a few random files that are saved on power off to check it is working okay. I prefer to check the card before it gets full as the file locking process on my camera isn't great. It works more as a referance point than a guaranteed lock of what I want. I usually format the card once a month.

I'm fairly new to having a dashcam. I put one in my project/weekend vehicle a few months ago and just added one to my daily last week.

I prefer to just let them do their job unless something interesting happened that day. If something of note happened, I'll try and grab the footage the same day if I can. Otherwise I just check the status lights to make sure they are working every time I drive.

Do you review your videos every day or do you only review your videos if you have a reason to such as damage to your car or some event that you witnessed while driving?
I have a dashcam since February 2015 and since I never leave the card in the camera overnight, I empty it everyday. In the beginning I had less spare time so I let the files accumulate and watched them whenever I could. Now that I've managed to get up-to-date I review the footage every day or every 2 days.
But that's just me. :)

Never! Only look at if something has happened. Not really any point otherwise.

I have a dashcam since February 2015 and since I never leave the card in the camera overnight, I empty it everyday. In the beginning I had less spare time so I let the files accumulate and watched them whenever I could. Now that I've managed to get up-to-date I review the footage every day or every 2 days.
But that's just me. :)

Do you mind if I ask why you empty the card every day? With loop recording that should be unnecessary.

With loop recording you overwrite.

Back