how to keep Dashcam on in parking mode as long as possible?

malone927

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So I am in Australia and I have a Honda accord 2008, recently my car has been hit/scratched in the parking lot (car park) a few times. I don't drive my car often, maybe just 3 times a week and 40 mins each time.

Therefore, I bought a BlackVue DR590 and the power magic (Battery Discharge Prevention) that goes with it, hoping it will record whoever hit my car. However, then I realize the car battery can have a deep cycle issue (it is not supposed to be routinely deep cycled which will reduce the life of the battery). So, I did some rough calculations: if I set battery voltage cut-off at 80% for discharge prevention purposes, the dashcam won't last too long in parking mode after I turn off my car, maybe 4 to 5 hours? (correct me if I am wrong).

Then I saw those dedicated Dashcam Batteries like Blackvue B-124 or even crazier options like Jackery 240 that can keep the dashcam on for days when not driving often, but I found these are not available in Australia.

So, basically what I need is a Battery Pack/Power Solution that can be charged when driving and then keep the dashcam on in parking mode for a decent amount of time like 24hrs to 48hrs when not driving. It is also very hot these days (summer time) and I know the battery will drain out fast when charging because of the high temperature.

Thanks in advance!

I think you’re best option is going to be buying two LiFePO4 batteries between 10Ah - 20Ah.

Decide where and how you’re going to secure one of them in the car. Route some cables from the LiFePO4 battery, with some inline fuses, to your dash cam’s hardwire kit wires. Swap the battery out to charge it indoors with a charger and swap in the fully charged one.

You can set it up to charge via the car, but it’s a lot added expense in tools, components, and materials.

I know at least one member here has an AGM setup here. The AGM might be a little easier to charge while driving than a LiFePO4.

Back