Cellink Neo charging cable keeps heating up

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have a Tesla Model S with a Cellink Neo paired up with Thinkware F800 pro that has been working flawlessly for a few years. I have the Cellink Neo charging at 9A via hardwiring via the accessory fuse on the fuse box.

In Sydney Australia a few months ago there were heavy bush fires from backburning operations and so I decided to use a small air filter 12v and plugged it into the 12v plug in the Tesla cabin. I forgot at this point I had a Cellink Neo being charged on the same circuit.

The 12v air filter takes in around 60 watts, running at 5 amps. So, 60 watts plus the Cellink neo at 9A (12v, 108 watts approx), then the total would have been around 160 watts.

I didn't have an issue with the air purifier filter, it kept working. However, when I logged into my Cellink Neo app for the first time, it showed a low voltage warning on the charge.

I had a look at the Cellink Neo, and I noticed that one of the plastic around the positive terminal of the charging cable from the fuse to the Cellink Neo had melted.

I could not pull it off with my hands. I needed to use pliers to pull them off.

I checked the fuses and they were all fine, I did replace them anyway. So I decided to replace the charging terminals with another spare I had, I simply cut off the old one, spliced the new end on the previous cable and instantly it worked normally again... for a while. I switched from 9A to only charge at 5A. However, this would still not solve the problem as you will see, the terminals would still melt.

Then I started to notice the same thing would happen. Although not melted tips I noted the oxidation on the positive charging terminal from the fusebox to cellink neo was more apparent. Then I'd have to repeat the steps again due to the ceiling showing the same low voltage issue, and it would normally charge for a while until now; the Cellink didn't charge due to the same issue. So I decided to purchase a new cellink neo and plug it in.

So it charged normally for a while. Until a day later, it has not been charged. I am assuming the fuse has blown.

I will do some tests and get back to you guys but this all started with plugging in that damn air purifier.

Has anyone had experience with this?

Even though the fuses previously looked fine (I actually changed the fuses right after the first time it happened).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sorry I noticed somewhere in my original post above it says ceiling when I mean Cellink Neo. I think auto correct grammar messing with my post.

I discovered this wire overheating issue during my testing of the BBMC PowerCell 8, (same battery as Cellink Neo).
My recommendation was to increase the size of the charging cable from 16AWG to 12AWG (OFC), and to NOT charge through the fuse box, but rather on its own dedicated circuit with a relay.
This would have most likely prevented your malfunctions.

@rcg530 might have something more to add.

Back