How to recover a cufked up 64GB MicroSD Card?

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
My Toshiba Exceria 64GB card was working in the DDPai Mini2.
It's not used much so it's pretty new.
I took it out and used a full size adapter in my laptop to transfer files.
Everything went okay until I formatted it.
It hung and then windows said it cannot format the card.
When I insert the card again, windows prompts to format the card but cannot do it.

I used Easeus partition manager to check and even the drive letter was gone, it was unallocated.
I tried to create partition, format, recover old partition etc... and even epm can't fix it.
I tried different full size adapters, SD card readers etc...
What the hell happened all of a sudden to a working card?
More importantly, what else to try to fix it?
thanks

have you tried it in a different adapter or in a MicroSD card reader directly?

if you can access it again a full format with this would be better https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

you could also try it in an Android phone or tablet if you have one available and see if you can access the card

have you tried it in a different adapter or in a MicroSD card reader directly?

if you can access it again a full format with this would be better https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

you could also try it in an Android phone or tablet if you have one available and see if you can access the card
Yes, tried different adapters, readers, laptops.
That program tries to format but it says the card is write protected.
I'm using microSD card reader that can't be write protected and also tried on adapters making sure the lock tab is not on.

Other programs so far have failed, including disk management and diskpart utilities.

May it rest in peace :rolleyes:

Sad thing is this is the one that is the youngest while others been working since last few years.

It shows as a RAW drive of 57 GB so there's some hope to revive it.

I thought I'd killed a new 64GB Transcend premium card but MinuAide fat32 formatter set a new partition and now it's fine.
http://www.miniaide.com/
Just be sure to click the "Apply" on top after selecting the actions you want from it. It's a comprehensive SD card freeware tool unlike most of the others.

This is the only fat32 formatter freeware I've found that works on W8.1

Phil

Thx Phil i will grab that too and add it to my collection just to be on the safe side, i even have a old read only card lying around i can try it out on.

Try it and let us know how that goes. It's not the easiest to use but it can do whatever you want with SD cards, not just reformat to fat32, which makes it IMHO the best of the SD card freeware I've seen so far ;) Just remember to click "apply"; that oddity still catches me out once in awhile!

Phil

I thought I'd killed a new 64GB Transcend premium card but MinuAide fat32 formatter set a new partition and now it's fine.
http://www.miniaide.com/
Just be sure to click the "Apply" on top after selecting the actions you want from it. It's a comprehensive SD card freeware tool unlike most of the others.

This is the only fat32 formatter freeware I've found that works on W8.1

Phil
Thanks.
I don't confuse with 'Apply' part as the Easeus has same thing.
Looks like miniaide is just a slimmer version of Easeus and it also fails at formatting, neither in FAT32 nor in NTFS.

Hmmm- I tried 2 Transcend cards (that new 400X Premium and a 4GB card I found) plus a Samsung 32GB card, and all formatted to fat32 and NFTS smoothly and were recognized correctly by W8.1 afterward. I've also used it to pre-format and clear another Transcend Premium 400X card for a G1W-HC twice before doing it in-cam, and it records and saves files correctly. Never used Easeus- I was unaware of it till now. I wonder what is going on with your situation not working correctly? Probably some kind of Windows glitch, all too common an occurrence :mad: Oh well, computers aren't really my game at all- I'm the "Dummy" they wrote all the books for and I still don't understand much about these things :rolleyes:

Phil

Im pretty shallow on the use part of computers too, never used a word or spread sheet and so on, but for me its the hardware that do it and in the old days i would have been able to list ( from memory ) key features of so and so GFX cards and motherbords.

And dont get me started on networks, sure i understand it but i can never get it to work or if i do manage it will take days.

When i got my NVR and first couple of IP cameras it took me more than a week to the the damn things to play ball.

I have my SanDisk 64gb formatted fat32 via software found here. Had another newer card formatted same, but encoutered issues after a couple months. Tried to format standard exfat to use elsewhere but it turned into a brick. Left first card as is to save over oldest file for the last year. Needed the file last week and found all perfect. Unless I lose capacity, I'll never re-format a card.

Since 64gb can be had now for ten bucks free shipping, not worth risk or my time to fix problem cards.

I had no luck with the 64Gb Lexar 300X card i had lying around, cant do anything at all with it using this software or any other software i might have.

Why not just send those problem cards that you can't seem to get working back to the manufacture with a nice note about how you always use their cards and you just don't know whats wrong with this one :cool::D!

Yeah but when the 300 X lexar died i was in a bad place memory wise, almost had cards die daily and when you RMA the same card over and over it become a issue.
So in the end i just gave up on those mainly kingston cards, and the lexar just fell in the bucket too.

One of my kingston cards a RMAed 3 times in 2 months, and though there was nothing but smiles when i got a new one i thought it best to move on in the end.

Try this program then.

guiformat-x64

And this one for testing that cards are genuine

h2testw

Even with small chances, try to format it inside a smartphone.

enjoy,
Mtz

Strange with my windows phone i appear to be able to format the card ( hard to tell cuz its read only but empty )
But the phone dont give any error when i format in there, also i can take pictures thats stored on the memory card.

But taking card out and putting it in card reader i cant see the 3 folders on it thats i can see in phone, and i still cant not format on PC or move files to moemry card.

If i put card in phone and then connect phone to PC i can also see the 3 folders on cars and the 2 pictures in one of the folders.

And when card in in Phone i can also copy files to the SD card.

The above is in my windows phone ( the old windows phone pre win 8 phones )

Putting the same SD card in my android tablet make it throw a fit and act really strange, and no matter what i do with it it will have nothing to do with the SD card.

Back