How to route wire around windshield?

Xybone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any good clips or tape that won't melt in the summer heat? I would stuff it in the headliner or in between the windshield and the plastic stuff around it but the gap is too big to keep the wire there, it just falls off.

I experienced the same issue, but at the time was also installing a rear view mirror with LCD so needed to run it's power cable along the headliner as well. Thankfully it was larger so I just zip tied them together. Had I not been installing the LCD mirror I probably would have used electrical tape to build up a few spots on the wire to keep it in place, as my issue was simple that the wire was too thin and would slip right out.

I would stuff it in the headliner or in between the windshield and the plastic stuff around it but the gap is too big to keep the wire there, it just falls off.
Or maybe the problem is that the cable is too thin... You can always use electrical tape to thicken the cable at equal intervals so that it will stay put.

Or maybe the problem is that the cable is too thin... You can always use electrical tape to thicken the cable at equal intervals so that it will stay put.
How would that look like? Ideally i want the install to be discrete as possible, with the cable out of the view of the passenger.

You just need to cut some electrical tape strips; I'd cut them at around 6 inches and then just wrap it around in the same spot on top of its self. It will create a bulge in the wire. Do that several times and the wire will be thick enough to stay in the headliner.

You just need to cut some electrical tape strips; I'd cut them at around 6 inches and then just wrap it around in the same spot on top of its self. It will create a bulge in the wire. Do that several times and the wire will be thick enough to stay in the headliner.
Oh I see, so it's just layering the already thick tape on top of each other to make the cable thicker, no?

Exactly. Much like this photo (only without the second wire)
wire.jpg

Just do it every 6 inches along the wire that will need to be in the headliner, if that's not enough, or too much do it in more or less spots.

How would that look like? Ideally i want the install to be discrete as possible, with the cable out of the view of the passenger.
Sorry, I had no idea that what I wrote was so difficult to understand.

Back