HP F310 - Storage I/O problem

Neroxen

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Hello dashcammers!

I come to you in seek of wisdom, because my rather new (bought it 2.5 months ago = august 2016)
HP F310 has started to throw out a error "Storage I/O problem" at random intervals while recording (15mins - 1.5 hours, but mostly around 30 minutes)
I haven't witnessed this happening enough times myself to say how often it happens, but the persons car that is in says that around at time it comes up with the error.

The MicroSD card I used for my dashcam is a SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 that was bought in conjunction of the camera, so it was brand new.

What I've tried so far to "fix" it is to format the card inside the dashcam and outside it (tried to use it again between those times to no avail) and reset to default settings and changed only 1 of them after (satellite synched time)
I've tried to find answers to this problem on this website, but the only thing that seems to match is a Mini 0801 dashcam that seemed to be plagued with the same problem on some specific firmware(?). The rest of the internet wasn't much of help.

The fixes for that were trying a smaller class and/or size card (Because I don't have any unused ones) or turning off audio recording, neither of which I have tried yet. And I'd like to have audio recording.

That is because I come to ask if anyone has by any chance any solutions specific to this camera, or any other help. Help which would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to DCT, Neroxen! :)

What brand(s) is(are) the other cards you tested?

Last edited:
No, I said I haven't tried doing that because I don't have any unused ones. I could buy a new one, but I bought the SanDisk thinking it would have been reputable enough.

Sorry, I misread what you wrote.

In that case, until you try with a different card I'd say that's where the problem lies. SanDisk cards are known to be somewhat problematic when it comes to dashcam use.

While SanDisk generally makes a good product, the Ultra cards are unsuitable for dash cam use and many people here on DCT have reported failed cards. SanDisk microSD cards (red/gray Ultra) have a proprietary controller that can fail into read-only mode over a period of time. They can also become unreadable as well. SanDisk microSD cards can actually last quite some time if used in dash cams but then suddenly fail when you least expect it and that is the problem you wish to avoid. SanDisk has revised their warranty policy to specifically deny coverage if you use their cards in Dash Cams or similar devices.

Here is the paragraph from SanDisk's warranty statement (USA policy)

"This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras, (v) display devices that loop video, (vi) continuous recording set top box devices, (vii) continuous data logging devices like servers, or (viii) other excessive uses that exceed normal use in accordance with published instructions".

Last edited:
While SanDisk generally makes a good product, the Ultra cards are unsuitable for dash cam use and many people here on DCT have reported failed cards. SanDisk microSD cards (red/gray Ultra) have a proprietary controller that can fail into read-only mode over a period of time. They can also become unreadable as well. SanDisk microSD cards can actually last quite some time if used in dash cams but then suddenly fail when you least expect it and that is the problem you wish to avoid. SanDisk has revised their warranty policy to specifically deny coverage if you use their cards in Dash Cams or similar devices.

Well **** me. That's just absolutely appalling. What brands do you recommend then? Kingston, Samsung?

I can recommend Transcend, Kingston and Samsung EVO.

How do you think a Kingston 32Gb MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 would do? (nvm about the ultimate and stuff, was SD cards)

Last edited:
How do you think a Kingston 32Gb MicroSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 would do?
If that's what you can buy locally, go ahead. Buying at a local store is much better if something happens during warranty. I've been using one of those for 20 months now and in 5 different cameras without a single problem.

If that's what you can buy locally, go ahead. Buying at a local store is much better if something happens during warranty. I've been using one of those for 20 months now and in 5 different cameras without a single problem.

Might be so, but when it costs almost double what I could get on Amazon.co.uk or even Amazon.de (minus shipping) it kind of hurts.

Might be so, but when it costs almost double what I could get on Amazon.co.uk or even Amazon.de (minus shipping) it kind of hurts.

Amazon is the best place to buy authentic microSD products at the best prices. I don't buy them anywhere else nowadays. Paying double is not a good value if something goes wrong for a modestly priced thing like a memory card when for the premium paid you could just buy another one.

Problem is, I need it this week (as its the week I'm around the device), and ordering from a european amazon shop takes like a week minimum to get here.
I also might've exaggerated a bit, since the shipping cost would even it out, but I would probably be paying like at least 10% more.

I also might've exaggerated a bit, since the shipping cost would even it out, but I would probably be paying like at least 10% more.
Returning it in case there's a problem, plus all the "paperwork" and the time you'll spend dealing with all of that will cost you more than that 10% difference.

Problem is, I need it this week (as its the week I'm around the device), and ordering from a european amazon shop takes like a week minimum to get here.

10% sounds very reasonable vs double the price.

Last edited:

Need to ask one more thing though, does this mean the microSD card is bricked then? I can't use it for anything else?

Need to ask one more thing though, does this mean the microSD card is bricked then? I can't use it for anything else?

If you can repair the card with a utility I don't see why not but I would avoid using it for anything mission critical or for any purpose where losing the data unexpectedly would present a serious problem or hassle.

Edit: I would agree with jokiin that the card is probably toast though.

Back