I built a platform to share dashcam videos with the people around

francoispied

Reaction score
Country
United States
I started working on this project shortly after witnessing a nasty hit and run on the 405 in CA. I didn't catch the driver on my dashcam, but there was so many Teslas and surely other people with dash cams around, but obviously, because it's happened on the highway no one stopped and offered their contact.

Anyway, the idea is pretty simple. The site is divided into 52 State channels. Each have a feed and a map to show where each video were captured and when. Cammers can add all sorts of stickers to their post to add context, the icon of the car they caught, the license plate, type of situation etc.

It's called Catch (catchmap.us)

The hope is that one day people are able to drop what they witnessed, knowing there's a chance it will get in front of the right people, and maybe even help solve hit and runs. One can dream :LOL:

it's a beta and just opened the site this week, so it's still a little quiet for now, but I'm looking for anyone willing to start dropping content or be a state captain!

Thank you in advance, and please share your thoughts about the site!

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    464.3 KB · Views: 6
This looks unique and interesting. It seems different than the typcial dash cam video sharing schemes we usually see. I'm curious to understand more about how it works.

Thanks! The idea behind making it a little different is to eventually appeal to a slightly broader audience. Dash cam videos can be pretty frightening, so without dismissing the severity of the topic, I'm trying to make it a bit more approachable for non cammers. And hopefully bring more folks to this world.

But let me know if you have any questions about the functionalities, or any suggestions

I just went to your website.
I already see two problems for me personally.
It requires a log in, and I accept your user agreement.
This could turn into the best thing to ever happen to the dash cam user community, but I'll never know.
Because, before I log in, and accept your user agreement I want to snoop around and see what it's all about first.
Kind of how this forum works. I've been coming here since 2018, but I only became a member in 2022.
If you want to appeal to weirdos like me you should consider a public / guest mode. lol
-Chuck

Screenshot 2023-06-03 7.40.57 PM.png

Yes, that's a good call and was the intention at first, but giving public access to each channels and feed Is 52 times more work than restricting the access upfront, from the homepage. it's 100% a valid point tho, and I'm already seeing a lot of people visiting the homepage and leaving without creating an account, so I'll work on that.

and I'm already seeing a lot of people visiting the homepage and leaving without creating an account, so I'll work on that.
Another thing you should address is defining (without anyone having to create an account) the role/responsibilities/duties/etc. of the 'state captains'.

For sure i would prefer to not log in, well at least for just browsing the place, i am OK that you need to sign up to share something.
Also i can not sign in with any social media as i dont have those, or that is i do have several googles, but they are all burner accounts, i see no reason sharing my actual info with google or my phone number which they seem very eager to get.

My actual info is in 100s of Danish databases, often not secured very well, so it might well be out there none the less, my EU right to be forgotten by the likes of Google ASO, i really wish that also applied to my country, CUZ i can not think of just 1 time where someone have implemented a IT system and it not being years late, and end up costing 3 X more, the Danish state is really - REALLY bad on this parameter, and as they have much about me on record,, from my birth weight to god know what, well i get a little apprehensive.
A few years ago 2 BR disks with unencrypted data on 1/4 million Danes, was sent by mail, and somehow ended up at the Chinese embassy. Thats just a frighting level of incompetence in my book.

Another thing you should address is defining (without anyone having to create an account) the role/responsibilities/duties/etc. of the 'state captains'.
That's a good point. I'll update that.

For those who used the site (and signed in :LOL: ), do you think the "Like" buttons are confusing? I tried to have good driver / bad driver type thing. Not sure if it works or not.

This forum is the only place where i use a like button.
Dont do that on youtube videos on youtube channels i do not follow, i got google so wound up they have no idea what to suggest i watch, so they just throw random stuff at me, and i enjoy finding the gems myself.
I have a few youtube channels bookmarked, and i will also drop a positive or negative comment depending on what is needed.

This is great! I like how you incorporated the feedback above and now one can browse the website and provide more feedback :)
a. Is it possible to add support for Canada?
b. provide feedback through a form on the website, instead of opening a compose email window

I started working on this project shortly after witnessing a nasty hit and run on the 405 in CA. I didn't catch the driver on my dashcam, but there was so many Teslas and surely other people with dash cams around, but obviously, because it's happened on the highway no one stopped and offered their contact.

Anyway, the idea is pretty simple. The site is divided into 52 State channels. Each have a feed and a map to show where each video were captured and when. Cammers can add all sorts of stickers to their post to add context, the icon of the car they caught, the license plate, type of situation etc.

It's called Catch (catchmap.us)

The hope is that one day people are able to drop what they witnessed, knowing there's a chance it will get in front of the right people, and maybe even help solve hit and runs. One can dream :LOL:

It's a beta and just opened the site this week, so it's still a little quiet for now, but I'm looking for anyone willing to start dropping content or be a state captain on Cardailytips.com!

Thank you in advance, and please share your thoughts about the site!
I recently installed a dash-cam in my car and as part of setting it up, was going though all the settings, tuning and tweaking them. One of those settings was the option to enable/disable audio recording. The first thing that came to my mind when I saw that option was, "Why would anyone even want to record audio from the car's cabin, isn't it a breach of privacy?". I know that the audio recording should stay on the local SD card, but it still makes me uncomfortable. For me at least, it seems down to human beings not wanting to be spied on, which always-on audio recording feels like. Anyway, I immediately switched off audio recording (meaning, I put it in mute mode).

I do realize the irony of talking about privacy when it comes to dash-cams, a device meant to capture videos of all the people around me without their consent. But all those people ARE out in public, so its not a private situation in the first place, unlike the inside of my car car. Just as the inside of my house is considered private, and the outsides are not.

A little later, I googled this specific topic of dash-cam audio recording and most of the reasons I found supporting audio recording could be put into the following buckets:
1. To record verbal interactions with cops or others outside the car.
2. To record sounds that might indicate something about events happening outside of the camera's field of view.
3. To record commentary/descriptions spoken by occupants for things that may not be present/clear in the video (like number plates, car make/model, etc).

I was somehow not convinced though.

I thought it will interesting to know other enthusiasts' opinions on this as I don’t see this discussed all that much. Please do contribute to the poll and post about your views on dash-cam audio recording.

Back