I drive a 2006 BMW E90, can I DIY my dashcam installation?

liamrunnin

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I managed to acquire (through a friend's generosity) some nifty dashcams that record very well at night and at a resolution of 1080 p at 30 FPS. It's a great dashcam, I've learned from him that it's the same type used by show cars during Mellan Norrlands BF season here in Sweden, but my challenge is installing it into a 2006 BMW E90. I think it's a minor addition to a BMW and I'm not very keen on taking my car to a garage and getting charged big (I drive a BMW after all, and god knows what the mechanics will assume) for dashcam installation. Has anyone worked on a BMW here before, and are there important things I need to bear in mind before going about this DIY project? I'd appreciate all advice. Thank you very much!

How specific "DIY" installation you want to do. Are you talking about just simple installation without modification ( stealth, - built into something etc ) ?
What dashcam model you plan to install ?

More or less the same as any other car except that if you steal electricity from a modern BMW without permission from Munich then it is likely to turn the circuit off, or insist on a trip to the dealer!

Don't know if that is an issue for a 2006 model, but if your not going to power it from the accessory socket then you may need to power it via a relay so the BMW computer doesn't notice.

There was also an issue with the BMW metallic coated windscreens blocking GPS signals but I think a 2006 model will be OK for that.

Make sure you supply the camera with the right voltage, don't put 12 volts into a 5 volt powered camera without an adaptor.

Back