I got wrecked.....

Aelfwyne

Reaction score
Country
United States
So running the Street Guardian SG9665GC for a couple years... I got wrecked in my 2015 Abarth.

Apparently the microsd card is going corrupt or something, it had a BUNCH of old videos it wasn't deleting. It was apparently down to enough space on videos it was deleting for about 2 or 3 videos on loop, so I'm lucky I unplugged the camera before the two driver took the car away. Also the GPS module has gone out so my date/time is wrong. This happened on May 21, a couple days ago...

EDIT: Street Guardian USA hooked me up with a replacement GPS. I should have contacted them as soon as I had an issue!

But, here's the video which I'm sure is what you're all here to see:

The other driver was cited for failure to yield. He did not have a left arrow. The SUV driver noticed him inching forward and stopped, but I was doing around 45 mph (the speed limit) so did not have time to stop once I saw him.

Waiting on insurance now to make a determination about my baby. But if the guy tries to argue fault, I've got video.

(note: I clipped out the sound after the accident because it recorded my comments which I don't want public, as well as my a few other things. The only way I could figure to do this on youtube was with the music option, and it forced me to put tracks for the whole video. Tried to turn the track volume down fully on the first part of the video, but apparently "0" does not mean "0" in youtube volume land)...

Last edited:
Ouch ! Looks like the SUV was half-asleep as the lights changed and the other car took advantage of this. They jumped in front of the SUV but then forget about you.

I hope you baby is taken care of.

Last edited:
Ouch ! Looks like the SUV was half-asleep as the lights changed and the other car took advantage of this. They jumped in front of the SUV but then forget about you.

I hope you baby is taken car of.

I hope so too.... My baby is tuned and heavily modded, I've probably spent close to 5 figures on it. Can't imagine trying to pull all the parts in a parking lot and recovering even a portion of that cost, not to mention the time and effort that's gone into it.

Waiting on an insurance appraisal which should happen in the next 2 days.

I hope so too.... My baby is tuned and heavily modded, I've probably spent close to 5 figures on it. Can't imagine trying to pull all the parts in a parking lot and recovering even a portion of that cost, not to mention the time and effort that's gone into it.

Waiting on an insurance appraisal which should happen in the next 2 days.
hopefully you have receipts for the mods - that's what the insurance company will want if it ends up being totalled and it isn't possible to pull the mods.

hopefully it won't be too bad - if your airbags didn't blow, it might be fixable. sadly, the camry will probably be fixable.

Was he drunk? Keeps pressing the brakes on and off after stopping rather abruptly!

You should be able to recover fully, but that may not be without it's headaches. When someone damages your property you are entitled to have everything put back to exactly the way it was immediately before the event if that is humanly possible. Which in your case should be very possible. So don't settle for less ;)

I saw nothing legally wrong with your driving, but having seen many similar vids, this situation isn't new to me. The oncoming car could have seen you only in the distance; your lane change placed the truck between you and them so they could no longer see you, nor you see them. Were they not being that observant (which the average driver will not be) the outcome was almost inevitable. Their turn across your path was a major error on their part because they should not have violated the right-of-way of the truck even if it wasn't moving. And they placed their car where they could not see well enough to know for certain that it was safe to do so.

Had the truck not stood still on green this probably wouldn't have happened. Had the oncoming car moved more slowly to be able to see where they needed to before going there this probably wouldn't have happened. Had you not changed lanes and maintained your speed even though you legally could, this probably wouldn't have happened. So there were at least 3 ways this could have been prevented and none of them happened :( This is just one of the 'driving traps' we all can find ourselves in and truth be known I'd have done what you did with one change- I'd have seen this coming because I'd have seen the oncoming car waiting to turn and I'd have seen the unresponsive truck, guessed what the car would likely do, and slowed down until I knew I could get through unscathed.

So maybe all the time I spend watch watching those crazy Russian car crash vids has been worthwhile after all :p If you study how crashes unfold you can learn something about how to hopefully avoid them yourself :cool:

Phil

I only stop and let people thru like this while i am focused on whats coming up from behind, several times i have seen people letting other people thru like this, only for the guy almost running over a pedestrian or a cyclist.

So i look back and then gesture with my hand if its okay to proceed, but hey i am suck a nice guy and i have my thoughtful moments.

When other people let me thru like this i am always extra vigilant as its often at a time where people are stopped in traffic and so might as well let other people thru, and then i give those people a big thumbs up while i am focusing on traffic, never look at people when i salute them.

Update.... I ended up having to turn it over to my own insurance, as the at-fault driver's insurance was stalling. After two weeks they hadn't agreed to cover anything because the driver was refusing to answer his phone.

When I turned it over to my own insurance, they suddenly changed their tune and accepted fault the next day.. surprise surprise. But then they pulled some **** that they didn't have to cover rental for more than the original time estimated of repair - 6 days according to them - because now they weren't managing the repair, my insurance is. Of course, they hadn't even accepted liability after 6 days!!!... I can't get them to budge, so I've been without a rental. Thankfully I turned in the rental after 8 days so I wouldn't end up out of pocket thousands if things went south - which they did on the rental front.

As far as repairs... original estimate was done by his insurance, then I had to wait for a new estimate from my insurance, which was way too low and the bodyshop submitted a new one, had to wait for it to be approved, had to wait for parts, yada yada, then when I went to check on it I found paint damage not listed on the estimate, that was another week getting that approved and done...

Long story short, I *STILL* do not have my car back and it's been six effin weeks. Most of that without a rental car. Total damages currently are at $5750. It's being sent to the dealer for an alignment Monday which hopefully should be the last thing that needs done. But needing an alignment is news to me as well, apparently what was just a ding on the wheel (which is being replaced) was enough to know the steering wheel off center. But they've replaced no suspension parts.... so that has me quite concerned and will merit a FULL inspection if the dealer doesn't call for any parts to be replaced.

As far as aftermarket stuff, my insurance says they automatically cover up to $1000 as long as I have receipts - which is easy since it's all digital now. Needed $700 for new front-mount intercooler I'd added, and pocket change for vinyl stripes I'd added.

I can't imagine what I'd be going through if there wasn't both a witness and video to back up my version of events. Both the driver and passenger in the other car were claiming they had protected left, which was untrue.

See what happens when you finally get in the right lane? :)

The video showing your light was green, and green for a LONG time, is all you need to show them.

If they want to claim they had a protected green, and establish the lights are faulty.....it's not really possible unless they have a dash cam and it shows the light was actually malfunctioning. :)

Thankfully after I turned it over to my insurance they finally agreed to pay. Their stalling was ridiculous.. They were actually threatening to simply not cover anything because their driver was not answering his phone despite also having the police report to prove the driver and car were actually involved in the accident.

Sounds like what we went through when my wife was rear ended at a red light by a minor on his way to high school. Totalled both vehicles, but the other guy's insurance (either AAA or state farm, can't remember) just kept stalling, so we ended up having our insurance (USAA) cover it under the uninsured motorist part of our full coverage. Then they sued the other insurance company to get paid.

We also had a police report showing them 1000% at fault, but the other company was claiming that since he was a minor and wouldn't answer calls.... Total and obvious BS. Thankfully our company gave us zero hassle and took care of it quick.

And they wonder why they have such a bad rep... :mad::mad::mad:

Sounds like what we went through when my wife was rear ended at a red light by a minor on his way to high school. Totalled both vehicles, but the other guy's insurance (either AAA or state farm, can't remember) just kept stalling, so we ended up having our insurance (USAA) cover it under the uninsured motorist part of our full coverage. Then they sued the other insurance company to get paid.

We also had a police report showing them 1000% at fault, but the other company was claiming that since he was a minor and wouldn't answer calls.... Total and obvious BS. Thankfully our company gave us zero hassle and took care of it quick.

And they wonder why they have such a bad rep... :mad::mad::mad:

The other guy's insurance here is Allstate. They were claiming that if the driver didn't cooperate that meant he was in breach of contract. Since insurance "covers the driver from liability", then a breach of contract would leave him uncovered for liability... essentially meaning the insurance company doesn't have to pay even if the driver is at fault, if he doesn't cooperate. If they decide this, you basically have to sue the person directly (which is what insurance is designed to prevent).

Seems fishy to me.

Especially the part where because I switched it over to my insurance, his insurance suddenly decided they were absolved of any responsibility to pay for a rental beyond 6 days .... despite the fact that it's been 6 WEEKS now and I still don't have my car back.

Their excuse is I should have had rental coverage on my own policy... excuse me? My policy shouldn't be relevant to their responsibility to make things right when their insured is the at fault party.

Figured that since I have NEVER been at fault in an accident I would take my lumps on not having rental coverage if I was at fault... I was under the (apparently stupid) impression that liability covering rental, being that it's written into the law, actually meant what it said. Apparently not.

If I'm not being offered a settlement I like within two business days, my lawyer gets involved and that gets things moving. I always have gotten a good settlement quickly this way :) Insurance companies are all against you- even your own company- because you are costing them money :mad: They screw you over with excessive premiums and hassles so you should return their attitudes to them- the 'Golden Rule' exemplified- so I see nothing wrong with my approach at all :cool:

Phil

The other guy's insurance here is Allstate.....
Allstate has consistently been ranked as one of the poorer insurance companies when it comes to claim settlements (and surprisingly one of the more expensive in MI as well). Their motto used to be "You're in good hands with Allstate" but they haven't used that in many years now. Some time back one of the consumer rating services headlined their insurance company review article with "You're NOT in good hands with Allstate". :rolleyes:

Allstate has consistently been ranked as one of the poorer insurance companies when it comes to claim settlements (and surprisingly one of the more expensive in MI as well). Their motto used to be "You're in good hands with Allstate" but they haven't used that in many years now. Some time back one of the consumer rating services headlined their insurance company review article with "You're NOT in good hands with Allstate". :rolleyes:

Yes, this experience has been pretty terrible. Kinda caught me by surprise. Last year a good friend of mine got screwed by Geico on a claim, but I figured it was just Geico. About 15 years ago I had a claim against an Allstate driver who pulled out in front of me on the freeway doing 20 mph to my 70. Totalled my car. Accident was on Thursday. Had a rental that afternoon, and had a check for the value of my car by mid-day Monday. Always felt good about Allstate after that. Apparently it was a fluke, or times have changed.

My own insurance company has been more cooperative, but that's surely helped by the fact I have a very clear case that the other party has to pay.

This is so easily avoidable, you can see the lights of the crashing car moving on the tarmac under the pick up truck, you may be in the right but this was avoidable don't rush junctions especially more so when others are effectively stationary, slow and steady wins the race.

Update.... I ended up having to turn it over to my own insurance, as the at-fault driver's insurance was stalling. After two weeks they hadn't agreed to cover anything because the driver was refusing to answer his phone.

When I turned it over to my own insurance, they suddenly changed their tune and accepted fault the next day.. surprise surprise. But then they pulled some **** that they didn't have to cover rental for more than the original time estimated of repair - 6 days according to them - because now they weren't managing the repair, my insurance is. Of course, they hadn't even accepted liability after 6 days!!!... I can't get them to budge, so I've been without a rental. Thankfully I turned in the rental after 8 days so I wouldn't end up out of pocket thousands if things went south - which they did on the rental front.

As far as repairs... original estimate was done by his insurance, then I had to wait for a new estimate from my insurance, which was way too low and the bodyshop submitted a new one, had to wait for it to be approved, had to wait for parts, yada yada, then when I went to check on it I found paint damage not listed on the estimate, that was another week getting that approved and done...

Long story short, I *STILL* do not have my car back and it's been six effin weeks. Most of that without a rental car. Total damages currently are at $5750. It's being sent to the dealer for an alignment Monday which hopefully should be the last thing that needs done. But needing an alignment is news to me as well, apparently what was just a ding on the wheel (which is being replaced) was enough to know the steering wheel off center. But they've replaced no suspension parts.... so that has me quite concerned and will merit a FULL inspection if the dealer doesn't call for any parts to be replaced.

As far as aftermarket stuff, my insurance says they automatically cover up to $1000 as long as I have receipts - which is easy since it's all digital now. Needed $700 for new front-mount intercooler I'd added, and pocket change for vinyl stripes I'd added.

I can't imagine what I'd be going through if there wasn't both a witness and video to back up my version of events. Both the driver and passenger in the other car were claiming they had protected left, which was untrue.
Take that idiot to court, get a well known lawyer that's good (if possible). You will not loose anything and he will have to compensate you for time loss, pain and suffering, and everything relative to the accident, including fixing your vehicle.
If you don't mind, what brand of SD card were you using?

After 25 years with Allstate and thinking I had prime insurance, a deer hit on my one week old car had me calling the state insurance board to determine my real coverage. I took my car to an independent repair shop instead of their network. Their first estimate covered only materials and they tried to push salvage parts on me. When I balked on junk yard crap for a car with less than 500 miles, they tried aftermarket. The adjuster threatened if he had to re-write the claim, he'd write it for less. He even argued over using a full tube of glue. Took three months of yelling before I got my car back. That actor on the commercial has his mouth full of it.

I dumped them for Geico and my rates dropped in half. Since then My wife got in a not her fault bender. She left the car at their center, drove away with a loaner and three days later picked up her back to perfect car.

I got into dashcams in anticipation of our boys becoming young drivers. Your video is exactly what I feared. Without that kind of evidence, who's going to believe a 16 year old.

Moving forward, if you're not at fault in an incident always claim injury and get medical attention. From an insurance company's perspective, property damage is peanuts in comparison. Avoid hassles by never being a nice guy. You can always change your mind after the car is fixed.

As to the SD card, it may have locked files per the G-force setting. Formatting once in a while should help keep the card "clean".

So running the Street Guardian SG9665GC for a couple years... I got wrecked in my 2015 Abarth.

Apparently the microsd card is going corrupt or something, it had a BUNCH of old videos it wasn't deleting. It was apparently down to enough space on videos it was deleting for about 2 or 3 videos on loop, so I'm lucky I unplugged the camera before the two driver took the car away. Also the GPS module has gone out so my date/time is wrong. This happened on May 21, a couple days ago...

But, here's the video which I'm sure is what you're all here to see:

The other driver was cited for failure to yield. He did not have a left arrow. The SUV driver noticed him inching forward and stopped, but I was doing around 45 mph (the speed limit) so did not have time to stop once I saw him.

Waiting on insurance now to make a determination about my baby. But if the guy tries to argue fault, I've got video.

(note: I clipped out the sound after the accident because it recorded my comments which I don't want public, as well as my a few other things. The only way I could figure to do this on youtube was with the music option, and it forced me to put tracks for the whole video. Tried to turn the track volume down fully on the first part of the video, but apparently "0" does not mean "0" in youtube volume land)...

I must have missed this previously but a couple of things, when you get your car back make sure you're on the most recent firmware, check your memory card for errors, they don't last forever and it might by time for a new one, also get it touch with @Street Guardian USA and we'll fix you up with a new GPS

Back