I need help identifying this 1296P GPS dash cam please

I think most start off with a cheap camera, some with success some with a nightmare.
And buying a expensive camera do not make you impervious to problems, but in that case the problems most often arise from the memory card which are the cheaper part.
It is also in general with the more expensive cameras you get the best support / customer care, but still here it range from the way it should be ( IE perfect ) to OMG this is really bad.

The dash cam arrived rather late this afternoon. I need help. The VERSION listed in the settings reads as follows: DL-X7 FW 20170518 V1.0

If I want too look for updated firmware where do I begin? I still don't even have a positive identification of the dash cam brand or manufacturer! Nothing listed in the meager instruction booklet included. It's printed in some 4-5 different languages. Each language gets about 4 or 5 pages of vague instructions. Package came in the nice black box with the red stripe running across the middle. But the idiot seller from eBay just put clear packaging tape on this box and all shipping labels! He didn't even ship this box within a slightly larger box! Therefore I cannot see any print on the top of the black box and some of its sides.

spend some time testing it and make sure it works as intended before worrying about firmware, if the cam is unidentified there's a good chance that there is no firmware update, the current firmware being almost 2 years old already suggests that there may not be any updated firmware, I wouldn't be too concerned about that unless it has some major issue

spend some time testing it and make sure it works as intended before worrying about firmware, if the cam is unidentified there's a good chance that there is no firmware update, the current firmware being almost 2 years old already suggests that there may not be any updated firmware, I wouldn't be too concerned about that unless it has some major issue

I was only able to do a small amount of testing it in my car today. Power wire still remains unhidden and I don't plan on hiding it until I know I'm going to be happy with it. The cam casing seems to get quite warm. I can see why it has all the cooling vent holes in the case. I will post some screenshots in a few from my computer. I'm now on my cellphone.20190412_160833.jpg20190412_160850.jpg20190412_160935.jpg

Here are a few screenshots from a couple short test videos taken late this afternoon. Video resolution set at 2560 x 1080 @ 30 fps. Mainly overcast sky..some brief breaks of sunshine.
1st sc.jpg1st vlc.jpg3 sc.jpgvlc 2.jpg

Oh, ok. Lol :ROFLMAO:;):) Are you still thinking a mini 0806?
they use the same hardware spec, the design looks closely related, you would have to open it up and check for markings on the PCB to identify it further, not sure it's worth the effort to do that though

they use the same hardware spec, the design looks closely related, you would have to open it up and check for markings on the PCB to identify it further, not sure it's worth the effort to do that though

I know I would have to open it up. Don't really want to go that route, if I don't have to.

Oh, ok. Lol :ROFLMAO:;):) Are you still thinking a mini 0806?
I wouldn't try putting 0806 firmware on it, could take a lot of effort to get it back working again.
But it does look right apart from the menu.
Good focus, has a better lens than the original 0806.

I'd say it's a good buy for daytime use, the more modern sensor cameras will have a significant advantage at night.
Only real issue is that the battery is unlikely to last more than a couple of years, maybe only 1 year if you live somewhere hot.

Pretty good vids for this kind of cam. I wouldn't attempt firmware upgrades unless you can positively identify the cam and current firmware, as there's no faster way to brick these things than trying to install incompatible firmware ;)

If you're satisfied with what it does then leave it as-is; just check the card(s) at least monthly and format them in-cam when you're done checking. That should be all you need to keep 'er going for awhile.

Phil

What a difference. Here is a day screenshot from late yesterday afternoon and then nearly the same location just tonight. Granted, I was traveling faster in the night screenshot than in the daytime screenshot. I was slowing down (daytime) and speeding up (night time) at this same intersection. My car's headlights are quite poor actually and need their beams adjusted. But they are not overly bright and the night capture was under very dark conditions. I would say this cam has just average night vision capabilities at best. vlc 2.jpgnight 6.jpg

Some more screenshots from this evening under very low light conditions. It recently rained, and there were many patches of dense fog in certain areas on this road.
night 1.jpgnight 2.jpgnight 3.jpgnight 4.jpgnight 5.jpg

That's not bad for the OV4689 sensor. You might try adjusting the exposure level in the menu to see if it can be improved, try going up and down one step at a time checking both day and night pics. Seems to be some motion blur in there too, but not a lot you can do for that except try a lower FPS setting at night. 30FPS is usually the sweet spot at night and OK daytime too.

I've got this sensor in a N2 Pro and I noticed that with my cam at least, intense car headlights cause you to see less as the can adjusts darker to what it thinks is brightness. With my old halogen sealed beams I do quite well at nght but comparing what I get to others with the same cam and brighter lights, their pics are darker with less detail. The newer IMX291 does much better at night in a good cam; the OV4689 has been around several years. It was one of the best low-light sensors for it's time.

Phil

This dash cam has developed issues and is going to be sent back to the eBay seller for a full refund.

It has on a couple occasions (in it's short two day life since I have owned it) recorded the video but no audio, with files having no audio on a couple consecutive 5 minute clips and then all of a sudden audio records on the next file. ***This meaning the next consecutive file WITHOUT any powering down and starting back up of the dash camera.*** I have also noticed on starting my car and the cam powers up...the time on the LCD display screen bounces up and down (the "seconds") portion of time on the display. It will do this for the first 30-60 seconds before it begins to display the time correctly on the screen.

Last edited:
Back