I need to find the muppet magnet

sludgeguts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mobius x3, G1W held as spare.

And remove it from my vehicle.
I seem to attract those who choose to use the wrong lane at roundabouts!

Clearly not the Audi driver's fault, she kept putting the brakes on and still it kept moving forward, presumably a faulty transmission.

If you didn't overtake/undertake while on roundabouts you wouldn't have problems!

I think I may have held back a bit when the Merc didn't indicate right at the roundabout, however that doesn't make it right to use the wrong lane.

Clearly not the Audi driver's fault, she kept putting the brakes on and still it kept moving forward, presumably a faulty transmission.
Really? Explain how a transmission can accelerate a car while the operator is braking.

Transmission? There's no doubt in my mind when they took her foot of the brake it wasn't moving, they wasn't impressed the other side of the road had green and fault or not, they accelerated whether you want to admit it or not, nothing goes that fast without you making it.

Really? Explain how a transmission can accelerate a car while the operator is braking.
Clutch release failure, there are two of them to fail on these modern dual clutch auto transmissions!

I'm sure she has an excuse of some sort, however unlikely it may be :D

Nigel, I'm very interested how a clutch can accelerate a car. I studied Automotive Engineering so I am interested in learning. You have your foot on the brake while the engine is at idle and your saying a clutch failure causes acceleration and afterwards, despite braking your car continues to move?
I have found your expertise interesting in the past, please educate us.

It was all sludgeguts' fault, as usual! He even admits that he's out there attracting this kind of behavior. :p

It was all sludgeguts' fault, as usual! He even admits that he's out there attracting this kind of behavior. :p

he's very intimidating, did you see how scared that Audi driver was, drove straight through a red light just to get away from him ;)

he's very intimidating, did you see how scared that Audi driver was, drove straight through a red light just to get away from him ;)

You're quite right. It must be terrifying to find yourself in front of that bus of his. Imagine looking in your rear view mirror and seeing ol' sludgeguts making nasty faces at you. :D Hope the Audi didn't damage the transmission trying to get away!

Last edited:
I think I may have held back a bit when the Merc didn't indicate right at the roundabout, however that doesn't make it right to use the wrong lane.
Position at the lights was more to the right than the left and when he made the choice & I was able to get by, I did - by 21s I'm just shy of a car length away from the lines, his right indicator would be invisible to me - also, I'm busy scanning the roundabout for anyone looking like they may be crossing my path & not watching out for the clueless.
Right up to about the 26s mark, I had no idea they were going straight ahead until they suddenly accellerated through.
I really don't have the time to sit there at every similar situation & wait for the idiots to decide where they are going.
It's been suggested that they might be unfamiliar with the area - well, the 12o'clock rule has always been taught & serves the rest of us well. So if you find yourself in the wrong lane, simply keep going round, don't risk an accident.

Nigel, I'm very interested how a clutch can accelerate a car. I studied Automotive Engineering so I am interested in learning. You have your foot on the brake while the engine is at idle and your saying a clutch failure causes acceleration and afterwards, despite braking your car continues to move?
I have found your expertise interesting in the past, please educate us.
If a clutch fails to fully disengage then it will be pushing the car forward, if the force pushing the car forward is greater than the braking force applied by the brakes then the car will accelerate forwards. One of the more common faults on my model of car is for a weld on a bracket that holds the clutch slave cylinder to fail, the bracket then bends and the clutch starts to drag instead of fully disengaging causing the car to want to move, if you carry on using it for a couple of months then the bracket suffers metal fatigue and fails completely and you get full power transmitted through the clutch and the car will move forward even with the brakes applied fairly firmly. The anti-stall system ensures that enough fuel is provided for the engine to keep winning it's fight against the brakes even if you don't manually press the throttle.

great theory, the brake lights being off debunks the broken clutch overriding the power of the brakes somewhat though I would say :rolleyes:

They switched to using the parking brake and that doesn't light the rear brake lights ;)

Back