I need to find the muppet magnet

They switched to using the parking brake and that doesn't light the rear brake lights ;)

I think the Audi might use a weird brake system if it is like the VW. VW has an auto brake. No need to hold down the brake at the stop lights.

I think the Audi might use a weird brake system if it is like the VW. VW has an auto brake. No need to hold down the brake at the stop lights.

don't give him any more excuses, he's working it for all it's worth already ;)

Of course a dragging clutch will turn off the auto brake as the brake system will think you are setting off - auto brakes are dangerous!

:D

don't give him any more excuses, he's working it for all it's worth already ;)
It would have been easier to say he was wrong rather than a long explanation that still makes no sense in reality.

There was a clutch problem alright, she didn't truly clutch the stupidity of going through that red light.

In Canada (or at least here in BC), it's legal for the Audi to blow that red (or it would be, if the red were flashing). At pedestrian-controlled lights that are NOT at an intersection, vehicle traffic is allowed to pass through, even on a red, after the pedestrians have crossed and the coast is clear. Mind you, it's a rule that very few people actually know. And even though I know the rule, I stay stopped at the red lights, because most drivers would think I'm crazy otherwise (and with traffic in the city, there's no point, because I'll hit another red light after a few minutes).

From the BC Motor Vehicle Act:
Flashing lights
131 (2) When rapid intermittent flashes of red light are exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal
(i) must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk then before reaching the signal, and
(ii) may, after having caused the vehicle to stop, cause it to pass the signal and any crosswalk only if conditions of pedestrian traffic in the roadway or any crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal permit it to do so with safety

In Canada (or at least here in BC), it's legal for the Audi to blow that red (or it would be, if the red were flashing). At pedestrian-controlled lights that are NOT at an intersection, vehicle traffic is allowed to pass through, even on a red, after the pedestrians have crossed and the coast is clear. Mind you, it's a rule that very few people actually know. And even though I know the rule, I stay stopped at the red lights, because most drivers would think I'm crazy otherwise (and with traffic in the city, there's no point, because I'll hit another red light after a few minutes).

From the BC Motor Vehicle Act:
Flashing lights
131 (2) When rapid intermittent flashes of red light are exhibited at a place other than an intersection by a traffic control signal,
(a) the driver of a vehicle approaching the signal
(i) must cause it to stop before entering the nearest marked crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal, or if there is no marked crosswalk then before reaching the signal, and
(ii) may, after having caused the vehicle to stop, cause it to pass the signal and any crosswalk only if conditions of pedestrian traffic in the roadway or any crosswalk in the vicinity of the signal permit it to do so with safety
We need something like that. I was bemoaning another set of lights, saying we have smartphones, smart cars even a fridge that can order your groceries & yet we still sit for ages at a red light because a ped pressed the button without looking, relaised the road was clear so walks. A car then approaches an empty crossing & sits looking at red lights.
I was told that the lights I was referring to were actually smart lights - and yet I was still sat there looking at empty crossing & the ped was long gone!

Clearly not the Audi driver's fault, she kept putting the brakes on and still it kept moving forward, presumably a faulty transmission.

If you didn't overtake/undertake while on roundabouts you wouldn't have problems!

You do realise what the definition of an overtake or undertake is don't you?
To put it in its most basic term... move out of lane, drive past the vehicle & move back into lane.

Tell me, at what point am I performing an overtake or undertake?
The highway code advises that I approach in the left lane - I did.
I stay in the left lane through the roundabout - I did.
I indicate before my exit - I did.
I take the correct exit - I did.

The merc driver, on the other hand, positioned himself over to the right at the lights, approached the roundabout in the right hand lane - the highway code advises this lane for all exits after the 12 o'clock position. Why would I believe he was taking any other exit?
He dithered on his approach, I kept the bus rolling, saw there was nothing coming so accellerated. The merc driver must've been dithering through the roundabout since I managed to manouver a long vehicle around the outside, keeping to the correct lane & staying just level with him

We need something like that. I was bemoaning another set of lights, saying we have smartphones, smart cars even a fridge that can order your groceries & yet we still sit for ages at a red light because a ped pressed the button without looking, relaised the road was clear so walks. A car then approaches an empty crossing & sits looking at red lights.
I was told that the lights I was referring to were actually smart lights - and yet I was still sat there looking at empty crossing & the ped was long gone!

Where I live we have a system like you describe that is supposed to resolve these problems. At some intersections they installed signals that have pedestrian buttons like you mention but up above the traffic lights are what appear to be surveillance cameras. The cameras are there (allegedly) not to record individual cars but to let the traffic lights know how much traffic is waiting in each direction or if there are no cars at all waiting for the light to change. It's a great concept but somehow they've never been able to get the damn things to work properly. It gets especially bad if there are many cars backed up waiting for the light to change in all directions and the lights can't seem to make up their minds about which cars to let through and which ones to hold. After awhile, timers kick in like old fashioned traffic lights and cars start to move again. We have one intersection that is so bad that everybody calls it "Malfunction Junction".

We have one intersection that is so bad that everybody calls it "Malfunction Junction".
In Vancouver, our city traffic department manages to screw up traffic light priority in the peak direction of travel. If you want to catch a series of green lights, you've got to be doing 10-20km/h above the speed limit. Otherwise you'll sit every other light. And you stand no chance if there are a few vehicles ahead of you. If you're going counterflow or cross-flow (as is my normal commute), I'll have to stop for most of the lights-- certainly at the major intersections, and often at the side-streets, too.

Oh, I forget to mention something in my last post about our fancy traffic lights.

When a pedestrian presses the button on the light pole, waits and then the lights finally change so that he/she can cross the street, there used to be a loud beeping sound or a ringing bell that would go off. The purpose for this is so that blind people will know when it is safe to cross. The problem was that this alert system was so unpleasant sounding that everyone hated it. Often it would startle uninitiated visitors to our town along with some of us locals. After much complaining from the local citizenry a change was instituted and now instead of a loud alert sound we get the sound of birds chirping when the crossing sign changes to "walk". Everyone is happier now, except that visitors to the town still get a bit startled, only now it's for different reasons. :)

Last edited:
You do realise what the definition of an overtake or undertake is don't you?
To put it in its most basic term... move out of lane, drive past the vehicle & move back into lane.

Tell me, at what point am I performing an overtake or undertake?
The highway code advises that I approach in the left lane - I did.
I stay in the left lane through the roundabout - I did.
I indicate before my exit - I did.
I take the correct exit - I did.

The merc driver, on the other hand, positioned himself over to the right at the lights, approached the roundabout in the right hand lane - the highway code advises this lane for all exits after the 12 o'clock position. Why would I believe he was taking any other exit?
He dithered on his approach, I kept the bus rolling, saw there was nothing coming so accellerated. The merc driver must've been dithering through the roundabout since I managed to manouver a long vehicle around the outside, keeping to the correct lane & staying just level with him
From the highway code, I think you broke this rule:
In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to
  • traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit

You appear to be saying that the Merc driver broke this rule:
Signals and position

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
I can't see if they complied with the third bullet point because you didn't give them plenty of room, other than that I can't see where it says they did anything wrong. I know we generally choose the left lane but the highway code just says appropriate lane and then stay in it until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout which they did.

Which rule is it that says they did do something wrong?

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

The appendix does contain a rule that the Merc. driver may have been applying:
Correct roundabout procedure
  • if there is no traffic at or on the roundabout you may take the shortest and most convenient route through it
He/She did take the shortest route across the roundabout and the route ahead was free of traffic.

Last edited:
So, basically two options, as far far as I can see: thick or obnoxious ...

Auto hold was the VW brake system I was trying to explain earlier.

I have auto hold - it's brilliant but you don't half miss it when you get in another car!

From the highway code, I think you broke this rule:

You appear to be saying that the Merc driver broke this rule:

I can't see if they complied with the third bullet point because you didn't give them plenty of room, other than that I can't see where it says they did anything wrong. I know we generally choose the left lane but the highway code just says appropriate lane and then stay in it until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout which they did.

Which rule is it that says they did do something wrong?

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

The appendix does contain a rule that the Merc. driver may have been applying:

He/She did take the shortest route across the roundabout and the route ahead was free of traffic.

You're making this up as you go along aren't you?
Rule 187 applies more to the huge multi-lane roundabouts, NOT where two vehicles enter a small roundabout at the same time. He was alongside me through the roundabout therefore it would be impossible to see what he was doing & where he was going. I did give them plenty of room since I obviously didn't cut the roundabout.
As for not seeing that he did anything wrong - you completely skipped over rule
Signals and position
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
He had lead position approaching the roundabout so had the choice of lanes. He chose the right hand lane therefore I have to assume that he is turning right - else what is the point of having a set of rules?
And BTW, taking the shortest route across a roundabout ..."if there is no traffic at or on the roundabout you may take the shortest and most convenient route through it"
And since you read the appendix, at what point did the merc driver correctly follow the 12o'clock rule?

I have auto hold - it's brilliant but you don't half miss it when you get in another car!

I sort of want the auto hold. Not having to keep your foot on the brakes would be kind of cool.

Yeah it's great but does make you a lazy driver - mines matched to a DSG so it can make me a lazy driver although I still like manual mode for the windy roads :)

As for the TT driver you can see them say "£&@" it" as they set off as their arm raises in disgust that they've been held up for ten seconds!

As for the TT driver you can see them say "£&@" it" as they set off as their arm raises in disgust that they've been held up for ten seconds!

I'm sure that's somehow @sludgeguts fault as well, I expect an explanation will be forthcoming soon enough ;)

Back