I think I screwed up

Actually pretty common. Most card buyers use them in phones for pics which don't take much card space, so they can give them a 32GB card instead of a 128GB card and the buyer may never discover the scam :cautious:

Phil
or by the time they do discover their return options are long gone

My phone are 64GB, it is way more than i ever need, and i cant see why people need 128 / 256 / 512 GB phones, or i can , i assume they never delete anything.

My DICM folder get cleaned out every 6 months or so, but not to free space just deleting stuff i have used or dont need anymore.

My phone are 64GB, it is way more than i ever need, and i cant see why people need 128 / 256 / 512 GB phones, or i can , i assume they never delete anything.
it used to be enough, my wife fills a 64GB phone in a matter of months, shopping for a 256GB phone for her now so I can get a longer break between having to reset everything

A previous adventure I had with SD cards was when the card I was using in my phone went bad and I lost all my photos. I'm not a super photo person, but there were several trips on there. It was showing signs of weakness, but I didn't know what was happening and didn't transfer images.

I've got so many backups. Some of mine are on external hard drives that only get connected monthly for update. AOMEI and Syncback do me well.

A previous adventure I had with SD cards was when the card I was using in my phone went bad and I lost all my photos...
And that is the reason I don't put anything of value on my phone(s) - no pictures, videos, financial data, banking apps, personal information, etc. Phones die which can be a nuisance. Phones get lost/stolen and if you have financial information on it it's then much more than a nuisance.

Final results, finally:

Warning: Only 255964 of 255965 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.5 GByte OK (61959479 sectors)
220.4 GByte DATA LOST (462254793 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
220.4 GByte corrupted (462254793 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000762da6e00
Expected: 0x0000000762da6e00
Found: 0xca7bb2a600853756
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 13.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 1.94 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I just tried a never-used Sandisk Endurance 128 card I had gotten for the previous returned camera.
What a pleasure.

There are some codes etched on the back of the bad card.
I came up empty on searches, but do note that there's a "32" on there, which would jive with the actual capacity as shown by the test.
I haven't searched on the meaning of the etchings yet.
Might give one a clue before putting the disk through a multi-day test.

IMG_20200708_101528824_1.jpg

It's also 15 years old by the look of it. What was the max available capacity back in 2005.

O i think i was using 16GB cards in action cameras back then, at least i still have a few 8 and 16 GB cards.
You could probably get a 64 GB card back then, but the price would have been off the chart :eek:

There are some codes etched on the back of the bad card.
I came up empty on searches, but do note that there's a "32" on there, which would jive with the actual capacity as shown by the test.
I haven't searched on the meaning of the etchings yet.
Might give one a clue before putting the disk through a multi-day test.

View attachment 52557
It is fake, really a 32GB card, h2testw is always right!
So raise a return through ebay and get your money back.

And if you get a no questions asked refund without being asked to return the card that generally means that the seller is fully aware that the cards are fake, happens often enough for that to be a trend with the fake card industry

And if you get a no questions asked refund without being asked to return the card that generally means that the seller is fully aware that the cards are fake, happens often enough for that to be a trend with the fake card industry
They may take it back, no questions asked and postage paid, reduces suspicion and they can then sell it again.

The guy said he'd give me my money back...we'll see.
In other dumb ass news, I'm testing another card I got on eBay. Doesn't look good so far.
1.98 MByte/s. It has a "2004" on the card.
A cautionary tale.
Annotation 2020-07-10 164819.png

Here are the final results on that second one:

29.2 GByte OK (61374487 sectors)
220.7 GByte DATA LOST (462893033 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
220.7 GByte corrupted (462893033 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000751002e00
Expected: 0x0000000751002e00
Found: 0x1e4af885d912777f
H2testw version 1.3
Writing speed: 14.5 MByte/s
Reading speed: 11.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

Here are the final results on that second one:

You already know the diagnosis!

There are some good sellers on ebay, in fact most of them are good, but if you choose the cheapest then it is guaranteed that they will be fake!

Go Amazon- much safer bet because most card manufacturers maintain their own stores there, or you can get "Sold and fulfilled by Amazon" as they source those cards direct from the manufacturer, often at a cheaper price ;) Never bought elsewhere online and never got a bad card in 5+ years and at least a dozen cards :cool:

Phil

Last edited:
Back