Idiot brake checks a tanker truck

Not too sure about the rights or wrongs of the truck staying in the middle lane - every time I watch a clip from the US, I see vehicles using every lane, even though the inside is clear.
The thing with this clip, though, is that nobody else took issue.
I also see many clips from the US showing vehicles overtaking each other on all sides - so why don't we see anything come from the right in this clip? Is it because the truck is overtaking someone already in that lane?

Away from this, though. Looking around the web, drivers of large vehicles are generally getting more and more frustrated by drivers cutting them up and/or brake checking.
The roads are turning into a free-for-all with a them & us attitude. It won't be long before truckers simply won't bother missing the brake-checker. They will apply their brakes so it shows up on the gps & tacho but not hard enough so as to miss them, just give them a low speed nudge.
Try explaining that to your insurance when they see footage of you brake-checking!

Per Florida law (which is where the video was recorded), it's unlawful to impede traffic by remaining in left lanes, as the truck driver is clearly doing since he's not immediately passing anyone.

Per Florida law (which is where the video was recorded), it's unlawful to impede traffic by remaining in left lanes, as the truck driver is clearly doing since he's not immediately passing anyone.
That's a very interesting interpretation of "impede traffic."

If he's doing the speed limit (which he claims in the youtube comments that he's doing), then he can't be impeding LAWFUL traffic unless that traffic has the right to exceed the speed limit (and I didn't see any emergency vehicles in the dashcam video.)

If there's a lane to pass him on the left, even if he's going less than the speed limit (but more than 15 MPH less), he's also not impeding traffic. Also keep in mind that he can have a legitimate reason for not being in the far right lane, and I didn't see any signage with lane restrictions. Perhaps the right lane was bumpy and he's carrying a hazardous load.

Finally, regardless of if the truck had the "right" to be in the center lane or not, there's still no justification whatsoever for the F-150 to brake check him - which is reckless driving at best and a good prosecutor could probably turn it into several criminal charges as well - ranging from reckless endangerment all the way, perhaps, to attempted homicide (as the tanker would have clear indications that it was carrying dangerous flammables - and the F-150 was clearly trying to cause the truck to slam on his brakes - which would have likely caused an accident.)

(No, I don't think the "attempted homicide" would or could happen.. I'm just pointing out the extreme.)

Not all tankers are carrying hazmat.

I knew that trucker made me nervous.

Here he is in 2015 plowing into another truck.

If you notice, he's camped out in the left lane, as usual.

It looks like he approaches an earlier crash, lots of stopped cars with four ways on, but doesn't even think to slow down.

Finally, regardless of if the truck had the "right" to be in the center lane or not, there's still no justification whatsoever for the F-150 to brake check him - which is reckless driving at best and a good prosecutor could probably turn it into several criminal charges as well - ranging from reckless endangerment all the way, perhaps, to attempted homicide (as the tanker would have clear indications that it was carrying dangerous flammables - and the F-150 was clearly trying to cause the truck to slam on his brakes - which would have likely caused an accident.)

The pickup truck driver's foolish actions aren't in question.

If he's doing the speed limit (which he claims in the youtube comments that he's doing), then he can't be impeding LAWFUL traffic unless that traffic has the right to exceed the speed limit (and I didn't see any emergency vehicles in the dashcam video.)

If there's a lane to pass him on the left, even if he's going less than the speed limit (but more than 15 MPH less), he's also not impeding traffic. Also keep in mind that he can have a legitimate reason for not being in the far right lane, and I didn't see any signage with lane restrictions. Perhaps the right lane was bumpy and he's carrying a hazardous load.

Unfortunately, you're wrong (at least in regard to Florida.) The trucker's obviously impeding traffic since 1) he's being passed, and 2) his position in the center lane is enough to get one of those impeded drivers excessively pissed off about it. Florida law also makes the speed of passing traffic irrelevant, only specifying that passing traffic is going at a higher rate of speed (as it is, in this case.) Being in the center lane also opens the door for passing on the right, which is proven to be more dangerous than passing someone on the left.

Unfortunately, you're wrong (at least in regard to Florida.) The trucker's obviously impeding traffic since 1) he's being passed, and 2) his position in the center lane is enough to get one of those impeded drivers excessively pissed off about it. Florida law also makes the speed of passing traffic irrelevant, only specifying that passing traffic is going at a higher rate of speed (as it is, in this case.) Being in the center lane also opens the door for passing on the right, which is proven to be more dangerous than passing someone on the left.
You keep citing FL law, but no actual references. Which statute/section? A direct link to an online reference would also be good.

(I grew up in FL, and didn't leave the state until I was well in my 30's... and I've never heard of anything like that... unless it was some dumb-ass F150 driver trying to justify his reckless driving.)

Left lane = passing lane
Middle lane = cruising lane
Right lane = merging/exiting lane

That's what's customary in my area of the US. If I saw a semi cruising in the middle lane I wouldn't think twice about it.

Sound like a fair arrangement to me.

Left lane = passing lane
Middle lane = cruising lane
Right lane = merging/exiting lane

That kind of system would make even more sense in the UK where entries and exits can be very close together.
Can't tell you the number of times I've moved to the proper nearside lane then gone round a curve and seen a slip road joining my road, and I have to try to move out to improve safety/make merging easier for those joining.

They seem to put the curve there deliberately to catch people out. :mad:

entries and exits can be very close together

We have that too here in places, but i think its most common near Copenhagen, and i dont mind if those ppl kill eachother trying to get on/off the motorway :)

First, I am so very sorry (not really) for this post. After dealing with US politics for all my life, the news this morning made me feel better. Misery loves company.

That kind of system would make even more sense in the UK where entries and exits can be very close together.
Are you referring to stuff in the road, or membership in the EU?

They seem to put the curve there deliberately to catch people out. :mad:
Oh... I see. I think you misspelled "exits." Isn't it supposed to be "brexit"?

The various US state laws regarding staying right unless passing, and no, they're not uniformly enforced. (Sadly)

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Florida seems more concerned about keeping slow vehicles out of the left lane, than keeping vehicles to stay right except when passing.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/new-flor...ho-dont-move-over-ep-379609452-342505722.html

They seem more concerned about protecting the 'rights' of speeders, than ensuring safety and traffic flow.

I can't tell you how often I see cars enter an empty interstate highway, and move to the far left lane, and stay there.

I was behind one the other night for 15 minutes or so in Illinois. Virtually no traffic, 3 lanes each side. I was under the speed limit, and the car in question was a mph or so faster, so I saw them for a LONG time. Every 5 minutes or so the car would move to the empty middle lane for 20 seconds, but some unseen magnet would draw them back to the far left lane, where they spent most of their time.
:)
No reason to be there, unless they were looking for discarded pop cans in the median. (At night, at 65 mph.)

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Florida seems more concerned about keeping slow vehicles out of the left lane, than keeping vehicles to stay right except when passing.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/new-flor...ho-dont-move-over-ep-379609452-342505722.html
So, it appears that the actual FL statue (linked from your first link - direct link is here: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.081.html) states that the tanker driver was completely correct in his driving.

Keep in mind that if you follow the youtube link, he states that he was doing the speed limit (so section (2) doesn't apply.) The video clearly shows that he was NOT driving in the "furthermost left-hand lane (so section (3) doesn't apply), and that he wasn't driving left of the centerline (which would have put him over the median) (making section (4) not applicable.) The only thing left is section (1) which is excluded in this case by subsection (c.)

Shall we continue discussing FL traffic law, @tk000 ?

(bold emphasis added by me for (1)(c))

316.081 Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions.—
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;
(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;
(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon; or
(d) Upon a roadway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(2) Upon all roadways, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

(3) On a road, street, or highway having two or more lanes allowing movement in the same direction, a driver may not continue to operate a motor vehicle in the furthermost left-hand lane if the driver knows or reasonably should know that he or she is being overtaken in that lane from the rear by a motor vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed. This subsection does not apply to drivers operating a vehicle that is overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, or is preparing for a left turn at an intersection.

(4) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, no vehicle shall be driven to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under paragraph (1)(b). However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway.

(5) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as provided in chapter 318.

Back