Impatient schmuck in a pickup truck (Harrisburg, PA)

Schmuck in a truck :D just roll of the tongue.

Man, I should go out and get my memory cards. It was nuts last night getting off the turnpike with people using the shoulder and not letting anyone merge over.

Here was my experience yesterday:

Last edited:
Man, I should go out and get my memory cards. It was nuts last night getting off the turnpike with people using the shoulder and not letting anyone merge over.

Here was my experience yesterday:
first, that's a pretty crappy design to put a toll booth 5 feet before an exit. but if you know the exit is 5 feet after the toll booth, why would you get all the way over in the far left lane like that SUV that ended up in front of you?

The PA turnpike is pretty old, and I bet most of the toll booth intersections are from WW2, long before they envisioned prepass. They were probably designed to let an Amish buggy pass through, and take a jar of apple butter as payment.
Most of the NE US toll roads are about the same.
Where they have the higher speed toll pass lanes, some vehicles pass through them at 2-3x the posted speed, and create chaos for the vehicles who stopped at the ticket booth.
It's like "i have the toll pass, I have the right to be ahead of you, no matter what'.
About all you can do is head in the direction of the ramp you want, and cross your fingers.

Doesn't help that they have pre pass every other lane. Here, all the ez tag lanes are on the far left, then several cash only, and there might be an ez tag/full service (change given or special loads) on the right if there's an exit right after the toll booth.

Back