Insight for a new dash cam owner

ctep30

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently trying to find the best bang for my buck. I'm looking for a camera that isn't going to crap out or have issues. It doesn't have to do anything extreme, but I would like it to last. I've been reading about them and it seems temperature is an issue for some. Coldest would be -10F and hottest would be 100F. I would like it to have the suction cup attachment so I can move it from vehicle to vehicle. Any insight is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: Forgot price range....I would like to stay under $100, but if one is significantly better for a little bit more I can go higher.

Welcome ctep30

In the low prize range the little Mobius is still the outright king of the hill, fitted with the optional capasitor kit it is as reliable as they get.
It dont have all the fancy stuff some dashcams have, not even GPS, but it will record when you crank the car, and the recordings for daytime is just about perfect and night time is good ( no dashcam is perfect at night )
The mobius use a little plactic cradle with a regular screw mount like used on cameras, so additional suction cups and so should be easy to find.

And if you get hooked like so many of us and upgrade down the line, you can just trow the little lipo battery back in the mobius and you have a little action camera.

Thank you kamkar1 for the information! Thanks Gabacho! Yesterday while I was looking things up I found the Black Box G1W-H. I actually ordered one with a 32gb mico to try out a dash cam. I liked the fact it had the motion detection for when your car is parked in a parking lot. I didn't even see the Mobius, but it looks like a great option. Any information on things I should be careful of with this Black Box cam? Thanks!

... I found the Black Box G1W-H. I actually ordered one with a 32gb mico to try out a dash cam. I liked the fact it had the motion detection for when your car is parked in a parking lot.

G1WH should contain a Novatek NT96650 processor. Unfortunately, some contain a GPCV2159 processor, which delivers inferior video quality. Some contain another processor, cannot recall the name, which is also inferior to NT96650.

Buying a G1WH is a risky business. I hope you get a good one. Don't use the motion detection. It doesn't work well on this camera, or on most cheap DashCams. Better to leave the car parked with the camera in loop-recording mode, powered by a power bank. The 32GB card should give nearly 5 hours of recording time before loop over.

...I found the Black Box G1W-H. I actually ordered one with a 32gb mico to try out a dash cam. I liked the fact it had the motion detection for when your car is parked in a parking lot. .....Any information on things I should be careful of with this Black Box cam? Thanks!

My first cameras were B.B. G1W-H. Only issue I had with them was when they were exposed to high temperatures/direct sun all day they would either fail to record or create corrupt files.

As has already been mentioned motion detection is for all practical purposes useless on this camera. My experience was in order for it to trigger the recording process it had to detect motion over about 1/2 the frame for about a second - not useful in the real world. As an experiment I tried using it as a 'security' cam and set it up to monitor the front of my house. Cars entering and leaving the garage, people walking up to the front door, traffic on the street - none of that was enough for the motion detection to activate recording.

Thank you for your quick information on this camera. You've both convinced me that purchasing a higher quality cam may be well worth the investment. I cancelled the G1W. I kept the order for the micro SD however. I figure I'll need one of those no matter what. Well I hate to seem this lazy and ask, but I guess thats what this forum is for. Can anyone give me insight on a dash cam that has a good quality parking mode and will last and not cheaply made? Thank!!!!

What @Gabacho mean is any SG camera but the SG9665GC, that one is a good camera no doubt but it dont have proper parking mode.

If you hook up with Jon @Pier28 he will make sure you get hooked up good.

Thanks for all the info. I contacted Pier28 about his cameras. Also looked up the CF-100...looks like a good option. I don't know a lot about all the different options and terms, but it says for the parking mode it needs to be connected to a DC source at all times. Not sure how that is different than another dash cams. I just assmed all of them needed to stay plugged into the lighter or USB for parking mode. Thanks!

My first cameras were B.B. G1W-H. Only issue I had with them was when they were exposed to high temperatures/direct sun all day they would either fail to record or create corrupt files.

As has already been mentioned motion detection is for all practical purposes useless on this camera. My experience was in order for it to trigger the recording process it had to detect motion over about 1/2 the frame for about a second - not useful in the real world. As an experiment I tried using it as a 'security' cam and set it up to monitor the front of my house. Cars entering and leaving the garage, people walking up to the front door, traffic on the street - none of that was enough for the motion detection to activate recording.

I am now returning my Black Box G1W-CB. I tested it out for a couple of days. Useless motion detection -- only recorded for 30 seconds, and wouldn't record the whole time I was driving; it would have a couple of minutes break between recording. I had it setup to loop at 5 minutes. I set it up on the back windshield of my Jeep Renegade, and because there are defrosting wires going through the windshield, the night light (IR was set on for night time), it would reflect on the windshield. I tried placing it right up against the windshield, but the IR light at night would reflect worse.
I have the Street Guardian SGZC12SS and love it for the front windshield, and don't want to spend the money for a second one but I might have to do that. I have to have the capacitor since I live in Florida, and a battery wouldn't last long in this heat.

...the night light (IR was set on for night time), it would reflect on the windshield. I tried placing it right up against the windshield, but the IR light at night would reflect worse.....
Yeah, I forgot about that. First thing I did was turn if off then put black electrical tape over it to make it a bit more discrete.

Back