Install two of the same dash cam for front and rear?

Synomenon

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want the same quality front and rear cameras.

Is it possible to install say two ThinkWare Q1000 (one for the front and one for the rear) or two Viofo A139?
Do their respective apps. support this?

There is nothing really preventing you from doing this except for the app part. You'd simply have two separate cameras but I'm not sure if you can run two copies of the wifi app from the same model camera. Maybe one Thinkware and one Viofo 139 would work?

Personally, I have been using two A119 V3s front and rear because I wanted 2K front and rear and it works great but there are other alternatives for that now such as the VIOFO A229 Duo.

Maybe consider the A229 Duo as 2K is an excellent sweet spot resolution.

Last edited:
I have two A129 pro cameras, one front, and one rear. The apps really don't support this, but it can work, you just need to connect your phone to the correct camera (only one camera at a time). But the reality is on the A129 pro, the app works so seldomly, it is easier just to use the menus on the camera itself, and get a memory card reader for your phone.

There is nothing really preventing you from doing this except for the app part. You'd simply have two separate cameras but I'm not sure if you can run two copies of the wifi app from the same model camera. Maybe one Thinkware and one Viofo 139 would work?

Personally, I have been using two A119 V3s front and rear because I wanted 2K front and rear and it works great but there are other alternatives for that now such as the VIOFO A229 Duo.

Maybe consider the A229 Duo as 2K is an excellent sweet spot resolution.

Ah, going by the megapixel count and that they simply mention "Sony STARVIS" it looks like ThinkWare's Q1000 bundle with front and rear cameras has the same image sensor in both front and rear as the Viovo A229 Duo (STARVIS IMX335).

Ah, going by the megapixel count and that they simply mention "Sony STARVIS" it looks like ThinkWare's Q1000 bundle with front and rear cameras has the same image sensor in both front and rear as the Viovo A229 Duo (STARVIS IMX335).
Yes that's correct, it is the STARVIS IMX335. Viofo mentions it on their web page for the A229 Duo but Thinkware is a bit vague about which sensor they use on their Q1000 page.

Yeah, works fine. I've done that in my Miata and I do it in my Q5 as well. You'll have two power cables and memory cards. If you wanna use WiFi, you'll need to switch between cameras for front and rear rather than having it all in one camera, but it's a way to get better rear video quality than what traditional rear cameras offer. Keep in mind that it'll block more of your rear visibility too since standard "front" cameras are bigger than normal "rear" cameras.

One advantage to having two separate but identical cameras front and rear is that if one ever fails suddenly while out on the road you could swap the memory cards or the cameras quickly and easily.

Keep in mind that it'll block more of your rear visibility too since standard "front" cameras are bigger than normal "rear" cameras.

You make a good point.

Because I drive a pick-up truck the size of the A119 V3 visibility was less of a concern but I still thought the camera was too visible and wanted a more stealthy install. I used a 4 inch wide strip of fairly dark (20% transmission) static cling window tint film across the top of the middle glass sliding panel on my truck's rear window with a hole cut in it for the camera lens. Hence, drivers behind me just see a thin black strip across the top of the glass.

One advantage to having two separate but identical cameras front and rear is that if one ever fails suddenly while out on the road you could swap the memory cards or the cameras quickly and easily.
haha very good point. I've had that exact situation happen before. I accidentally spun my Miata in the rain when I first got it and hit the curb. Upon impact the front camera shut off, but luckily the rear camera kept going and so I got some footage of it. (It was a pair of Itronics ITB-100 HD's at the time.)

I've had it happen too. That's where the idea of a spare or duplicate camera came from beyond just the front and rear coverage.

In the old days, dash cam failures and glitches were so common that I put together a small emergency repair kit with a spare 3 meter USB mini-B cable, a spare USB cigarette charger, some 3M VHB tape, spare memory cards, a bent paper clip, some contact cleaner and a few other items that I carried in my vehicle at all times. To this day I still have a version of it in my vehicle. Thankfully, I haven't needed it in quite some time.

Last edited:
Back