Installing hardwire kit

Praeceps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there I'm installing a hardwire kit for my A119. Problem is I can't keep the fuse cover on if I use the hardwire kit. Do you think the fuse box will still be safe uncovered? The fuse box is right of the steering wheel underneath out of view. Shall I do a DIY cover?

Or is there an alternative I can do? I wish to have the cam perm live.

Last edited:
Keep the fuse box covered, just take your supply from else where, there are a multitude of places power can be taken from, if you tap into another wire don't use a scotchlock but solder, lay wire on wire to be tapped into, after pulling a slot/gap in donor wire, then cut 1/2" off cam wire/s lay wire on top/alongside then wrap bared wired around gap, tape wires just to hold then use some LIQUID TAPE, this WILL keep out 100% of moisture spread some over wires for about 2" to seal together, no moisture no movement no problem

Keep the fuse box covered, just take your supply from else where, there are a multitude of places power can be taken from, if you tap into another wire don't use a scotchlock but solder, lay wire on wire to be tapped into, after pulling a slot/gap in donor wire, then cut 1/2" off cam wire/s lay wire on top/alongside then wrap bared wired around gap, tape wires just to hold then use some LIQUID TAPE, this WILL keep out 100% of moisture spread some over wires for about 2" to seal together, no moisture no movement no problem
I don't feel confident doing that I'm afraid.

there are a multitude of places power can be taken from

And in many of today's cars, taking power from the wrong place can cost you serious money in repairs :eek:
Many of today's circuits which show 12VDC are being monitored for load conditions by your cars computers, and when you add more load the computer may alter the car's operating parameters or even burn up those electronics. This ain't 1980 and you can't do things like that anymore :(

What the OP needs to do is to get a flat metal fuse tap (not an 'add-a-fuse' type) which can be folded down under the fuse cover. Then as close as is possible to there use an inline fuse to protect the rest of the circuit. The top pics on this page will show the type you need: http://www.cooperindustries.com/con..._panelblockstaps/Blade_Fuse_Taps_ATM_ATC.html A soldered connection would be better than the crimped push-on terminal but done well either way will work.

Phil

I don't feel confident doing that I'm afraid.

The only other choice is to use a different fuse tap like Phil linked.

Theres also a slightly different style like this .. but theres two things to keep in mind with this type of fuse tap:
1) The leg with the wire side needs to be on the COLD side of the fuse holder.
2) An inline fuse needs to be added to protect the hardwire kit wires. The A119 hardwire kit already comes with an inline fuse i believe.

Oddly enough I do know this aint 1980 and do know car electrics, but am not clairvoyant and didn't know op wasn't confident enough, maybe in this case he should just leave to others, plenty of ways even on modern cars to take from unmonitored cicuits, ie pre circuit

Back