Interesting design...

They have been out for a while, but i dont think sony will keep making them.

Yep, and it get worse, HTC is planning for optical zoom in ther cell phone cameras soon.
I Wonder how many X zoom they can cram in a cell phone package.

if they can get it in the same size as the regular phone I think people would like it, if it makes it bigger though I don't think so

Yeah i am a Little perplexed too about the announcment from HTC, there aint much room in todays smartphones witch mostly are well below 10 mm in thickness.

Allso i dont think cellphones need a lot of zoom, 5X would cut it i think.

Yes, 5X zoom is as mush as most people needs. But marketing will tell the buyer they NEED that 20X zoom.

Yeah i am a Little perplexed too about the announcment from HTC, there aint much room in todays smartphones witch mostly are well below 10 mm in thickness.

Allso i dont think cellphones need a lot of zoom, 5X would cut it i think.

Sony managed to fit a non external 5x zoom (non extending lens, the zoom mechanism was housed in the camera body) into their old T series cameras, the thinnest of which was about 15mm so it is possible depending on how much space they can free up inside the phone. If it's a larger screened phone, space shouldn't be too much of an issue. They might need a bit of a bulge like the Nokia pureviews.

Sony managed to fit a non external 5x zoom (non extending lens, the zoom mechanism was housed in the camera body) into their old T series cameras, the thinnest of which was about 15mm so it is possible depending on how much space they can free up inside the phone. If it's a larger screened phone, space shouldn't be too much of an issue. They might need a bit of a bulge like the Nokia pureviews.

I like idea of inside-body zoom-lens.
The very first who started using this technology for mass production was Konica in their Dimage Xg series 10y ago. Back then I paid nearly half of my monthly salary to get the very first model and was using it for long time.

Yes, 5X zoom is as mush as most people needs. But marketing will tell the buyer they NEED that 20X zoom.

I have a Sony wx300 with a 20x zoom. Not strictly necessary but it is very handy. For ... Bird watching...

Last edited:
Back