Internal inward IR dashcam advice

fisher127

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just bought the Blackvue 750x-2ch on the Autobarn boxing day sale yesterday, but I'm realising that I need an inward camera to record internally. Did I buy the wrong camera? Should I have bought the IR version? Or should I buy another camera for this so that i can have one for front, back, and internal? Would appreciate any advice! I think I can still return this within 14 days.

If you recommend returning, which brand and model do you recommend? Do you recommend 2-ch (with IR) or 3-ch?

I have a Hiace 2016 12-seater mini-bus.

Welcome to the forum fisher127.

Even if the hiace are no big bus, the cameras with IR aid for the interior camera do have a limited range, but it is a must have for night driving not least if you are not in a town pimped out in LED billboards like some towns are.
At least the IR will illuminate any that get near to the driver, but the back row of seats well my hopes are not high,,,,, but out of not knowing as i have never seen night footage from a vehicle like that.
You can of course just add a #2 IR light source, which you can get for CCTV use, then you can have OMG much not visible light in the car.

I am pretty sure many towns can muster a higher ambient light level at night some places, than you will find in Denmark this time of the year in the middle of many days.
It can get pretty damn bleak up here.

The 750X 2 Channel i assume are regular 2 channel so the #2 camera are for use in the rear window for traffic back there, but i am not familiar with this brand to know what the options are.
Sadly i do not have any night footage from interior cameras i can share with you as those went the way of the dodo when i deleted my old youtube channel.

My favorite system with a IR interior camera is the A139 from viofo, the reason is the interior camera are remote on a short wire, so you can put it anywhere along the top of the windscreen.
When i tested that system i had it on the mirror stalk so it was right smack in the middle of the car.

Here it is tested alongside the T130 system also from Viofo, but this is a 2 in one system, meaning the front camera + the interior camera are in the same unit, this can challenge mounting it, in my car i had to put it offset to the driver side as you can see in the video.
If i put in the middle of the windscreen, well it would just film my mirror, so i would have to mount it lower to film under the mirror but this them mead less overview of the car and it is not legal to mount stuff in the middle of your windscreen here.

I use a Viofo T130 this a is 3 camera system but can be used as a 2 cam setup right out of the box. Only drawback (for some people) is no built in video display, but that’s why I chose it, very happy with it.

Thank you very much! Very helpful. I'll look into buying the Viofo cameras.

I think the A139 can be purchased like you like, so if you just want front camera + interior i think thats doable.
If you can do front camera + interior + interior camera i am not absolutely sure, but the good people at @BlackboxMyCar i am sure can advise further

Hi there, thanks for pinging us @kamkar! So to answer your question (and correct us if we didn't cover all the points), I think your best bet is going for a 3CH setup to cover all the angles in your minibus; front, rear and interior. Given the size of the mini-bus, you will probably need an extended rear connecting cable to reach all the way to the back (give our team a shout on our website and we'll help you out with a custom order).

Your best bet if you'd like to stay within the BlackVue lineup, is the BlackVue DR750X-3CH Plus IR. Or if you want to stay within the VIOFO lineup, then either the VIOFO T130 or the A139. We agree with Kamkar that there may be some challenges with mounting the T130, but we do love the flexibility of being able to rotate the interior camera to view out the driver side window, and we view that as a big plus and it can be overlooked once you find the perfect spot for it.

The A139 is also a great option (there's also the A139 Pro that came out with the STARVIS2 sensors recently), so that's something you can look at too. Just know that with 3 separate units, means extra wiring to consider and hide, but you only have to install it once!

Thank you very much! Very helpful. I'll look into buying the Viofo cameras.
Also have a look at a Vantrue S2.
It has a 3" touch screen and infrared internal pointing camera.
It also has an IR cut filter which the T130 doesn't which means you will get the correct colours in the cabin during the day.
The image is also very good.
The front facing camera I'm still testing but it is similar to the T130.

Vantrue S2 2ch also 3ch version.

I don't know what prices are for AU$.

Thank you very much everyone! Its really helpful.

I've decided for this moment to return the Blackvue 2-ch and buy a new 3-ch camera. I'm still trying to decide between the Blackvue and the Viofo T130 and A139.

I guess what's most important for me is:
- The place I will be using this has high crime rates, so the internal camera and parking mode are important
- The place I will be using this is also very hot in the summer (in case this is something to consider for over heating)
- And of course, price is an important consideration - would prefer cheaper
- The people I have found to install it have quoted $250 for 2-ch and $300 for 3-ch (AUD).

Based on these, are you able to recommend which camera I should get?
These are the prices I've found:
A139 $309
T130 $299
DR750X 3CH Plus $770

Much appreciate your advice.

Well Aussie summer i am sure will "kill" any dashcam attempting to do parking guard when parked in the sun. At least at some time.

Though i must also admit that some times you get a surprise, this past summer was pretty good up here and saw many days with over 30 deg C temperatures ( thats high this north on the globe )
One of those days i went to my friends place to as usual unwind for some hours behind my rifle, so i parked my car in a open field facing the sun, and assumed that the A229 system would shut down due to heat before the 3 hour timer kicked in.
BUT ! it did not do that, the system recorded all 3 hours on both 1440p cameras in low bitrate mode.

Me i was sitting on my ass in the shade behind the rifle and was sweating like a pig.

Too bad you are all the way down there, i would set your new system up for a couple of cold sodas and a Good on ya M8.

Last edited:
Thank you!! I wish I was in Denmark too hehe
I think based on all the information I'll go for the A139.
Do I need to buy a battery for the parking mode?

Back