iPhone VIOFO App won't connect to A129 Pro Camera

ScatSpeak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A129 Pro Duo, DDPAI M6
Installed the A129 Pro Duo in my 2020 Subaru Forester with no issues. It is hardwired in order to take advantage of parking mode feature, etc. Dashcam works great on it's own and with all settings done through the direct interface of camera....

The one problem I'm having is that my iPhone 12 running the VIOFO App won't connect to the camera. I've updated the firmware to Version: V2.8_0308 successfully. The iPhone can successfully connect to the VIOFO A129 Pro WiFi service without issue but the VIOFO App running on the phone won't recognize that the phone is already connected to the VIOFO WiFi service and just keeps prompting with the action to access "system settings"....

There is never a problem connecting the iPhone to the VIOFO A129 WiFi service, it's just that the App won't recognize that I'm connected so it never gets past the screen prompting to connect to WiFi with "system settings" action button... very frustrating... I'd really like to connect the iPhone APP to the camera for "live" view capability, access to the configuration and recordings...

Any tips, tricks, suggestions fellow Dashcammers?

I've been using the Viofo App on my iPhone SE 2016 & iPhone 2020 since February 2020 with the A129 Pro, A129 Plus, A119 Mini, and A229.
Whenever I experience the issue you describe it's because I forgot to configure the settings in my phone properly.

Another rare occasion is when I'm in the vicinity of other Wi-Fi sources that are causing inference. One time while filming test footage I was parked between a Mcdonald's, and a Taco Bell, and I could not connect my phone to the dash cam one foot away on the 5GHz band. Switching to the 2.4 GHz band I was able to establish communication, and then switch back to the 5GHz band if that makes any sense.

Another rare occasion is when my phone was getting interference from the Wi-Fi on my GoPro.

So try both Wi-Fi bands, (2.4GHz & 5GHz).
Also try disabling / enabling Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, AirPlay, or any other wireless protocols along with cellular data like Ari said. Once you establish full communication try changing back the settings to see if you have full control over he camera.

Also try disabling any other Wi-Fi & Bluetooth devices you may have in your car. CarPlay, Bluetooth headset, etc.
-Chuck

Contact apple

Try rebooting your phone. Do a soft reset.

Last edited:
Have you tried going into your phone’s settings and disabling celular data for the Viofo app?
Well, I activated airplane mode every time and disabled Bluetooth and disabled cellular service (though already disabled by airplane mode)... there is no application entry for the VIOFO app to specifically enable or disable cellular data that I can see. After ensuring all Wifi/Bluetooth/Cellular services disabled, I would enable ONLY WiFi and connect to the camera's service. Connecting to the camera WiFi has NOT been a problem at any time.

I've been using the Viofo App on my iPhone SE 2016 & iPhone 2020 since February 2020 with the A129 Pro, A129 Plus, A119 Mini, and A229.
Whenever I experience the issue you describe it's because I forgot to configure the settings in my phone properly.

Another rare occasion is when I'm in the vicinity of other Wi-Fi sources that are causing inference. One time while filming test footage I was parked between a Mcdonald's, and a Taco Bell, and I could not connect my phone to the dash cam one foot away on the 5GHz band. Switching to the 2.4 GHz band I was able to establish communication, and then switch back to the 5GHz band if that makes any sense.

Another rare occasion is when my phone was getting interference from the Wi-Fi on my GoPro.

So try both Wi-Fi bands, (2.4GHz & 5GHz).
Also try disabling / enabling Airplane Mode, Bluetooth, AirPlay, or any other wireless protocols along with cellular data like Ari said. Once you establish full communication try changing back the settings to see if you have full control over he camera.

Also try disabling any other Wi-Fi & Bluetooth devices you may have in your car. CarPlay, Bluetooth headset, etc.
-Chuck
Thanks for the detailed response Chuck!

I've tried many things like those you've written but when I get a chance will do a more methodical process and different variations. It's quite frustrating having this problem when I see all the review videos on YouTube etc. where the user's VIOFO app on their iPhone connects seamlessly to the camera whether they had WiFi connection already or not...

I've installed many types of home cameras and IOT devices/smart plugs/smart bulbs/video doorbells, etc. that required the iPhone app to connect to the device WiFi for interaction with the setup/configuration and NEVER had this degree of persistent failure of an app to connect... quite annoying.... thanks again for variety of suggestions... stay tuned for further developments! :)

I have observed connectivity issues using the VIOFO app on an iOS device (iOS version 15.6.1 on a very old iPhone 6S Plus) when a VPN is active from the Norton 360 security software installed on that device. I'm able to select and connect to the VIOFO dash camera Wi-Fi without incident. When I open the VIOFO app and click on the "Connect Camera" button, it displays "Searching for camera" and then about 5 seconds later drops me into the "Guide" on making sure I have the camera powered on.

Before using the VIOFO app to connect to any dash camera, I must go into "Settings > VPN" and disable the Norton 360 VPNs. With the VPNs created and maintained by the Norton 360 product being temporarily disabled, I can successfully connect to the VIOFO dash camera. I have also run into problems uploading firmware to a BlackVue dash camera with those VPNs enabled.

I've learned to disable the Norton 360 VPNs before attempting to use any dash camera app on my iPhone.

It's not likely that you have a VPN active, but I thought I would at least mention it since it's at least one case that will cause the behavior you're describing.

I have observed connectivity issues using the VIOFO app on an iOS device (iOS version 15.6.1 on a very old iPhone 6S Plus) when a VPN is active from the Norton 360 security software installed on that device. I'm able to select and connect to the VIOFO dash camera Wi-Fi without incident. When I open the VIOFO app and click on the "Connect Camera" button, it displays "Searching for camera" and then about 5 seconds later drops me into the "Guide" on making sure I have the camera powered on.

Before using the VIOFO app to connect to any dash camera, I must go into "Settings > VPN" and disable the Norton 360 VPNs. With the VPNs created and maintained by the Norton 360 product being temporarily disabled, I can successfully connect to the VIOFO dash camera. I have also run into problems uploading firmware to a BlackVue dash camera with those VPNs enabled.

I've learned to disable the Norton 360 VPNs before attempting to use any dash camera app on my iPhone.

It's not likely that you have a VPN active, but I thought I would at least mention it since it's at least one case that will cause the behavior you're describing.
thank you for the reply and recommendation rcg530!... it's a good thing to check for sure... unfortunately (or fortunately? :unsure:), I do not have any VPN configured or enabled on this iOS device... one less thing to worry about :D

Well, I activated airplane mode every time and disabled Bluetooth and disabled cellular service (though already disabled by airplane mode)... there is no application entry for the VIOFO app to specifically enable or disable cellular data that I can see. After ensuring all Wifi/Bluetooth/Cellular services disabled, I would enable ONLY WiFi and connect to the camera's service. Connecting to the camera WiFi has NOT been a problem at any time.
Settings -> Cellular -> scroll down through the list of all your apps and uncheck Viofo

Settings -> Cellular -> scroll down through the list of all your apps and uncheck Viofo
As I wrote, there is no app entry for the VIOFO app in this list from the mode of 'Settings -> Cellular" so I cannot uncheck/disable it... I've checked this list multiple times very carefully and it is not there.

UPDATE: Well, still no luck getting iPhone app connected to the camera BUT I was successful getting an iPad running the VIOFO app connected to the camera. This is an iPad that doesn't have cellular capability. So, I enabled airplane mode, then enabled WiFi on it to establish connection to the A129 WiFi service successfully. Once the iPad was connected to the A129 WiFi service, I was able to launch the VIOFO app and connect to the camera... will keep working on getting the iPhone connected as opportunity permits.

Thanks everyone for their contribution of suggestions, ideas and commentary thus far...

i have the same problem with android
the problem is in the latest version of the application
the last app that works properly is 3.2.5 for android
version 3.2.6 blocks 5G wifi access

As I wrote, there is no app entry for the VIOFO app in this list from the mode of 'Settings -> Cellular" so I cannot uncheck/disable it... I've checked this list multiple times very carefully and it is not there.
Very odd. For me it’s at almost the very bottom of the long list. Disabling it as recommended by Viofo did the trick for me. Sorry it’s not showing up for you too. That’s weird.

Very odd. For me it’s at almost the very bottom of the long list. Disabling it as recommended by Viofo did the trick for me. Sorry it’s not showing up for you too. That’s weird.
I know, right!?... I thought it was very weird also but even after rebooting the iPhone and uninstalling/installing the app multiple times, it still never appears in this 'Settings -> Cellular' listing... at least I got it working with my iPad instead... and that's a better UX for config access and reviewing of video files to be sure.

Wifi worked when I set up my cameras, but never since. I tried using it recently and failed in exactly the same way as the OP. Could connect the phone to the camera fine, but the app would not recognize it.
This is on a Google Pixel 6 pro running Android 13 app version 3.2.6

Viofo Email Updates

On the Viofo official website at the bottom of the page you can enter your email address to receive updates. Over the past 3 years I’ve been signed up for the updates, and I get an email once every 3-6 months informing me of the latest dash cam model, or black friday sale.

I wish I could receive an email update to inform me a new firmware update is available for my dash cam, or a new version of the smartphone App is available for my iOS, or Android device.

Is this one of those things that will never work because it makes too much sense? lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• Receive Email Updates .png
    Receive Email Updates .png
    175.1 KB · Views: 3
Back