iRoad Power Pack Plus 13,600ma - charges too fast and doesn't last long!

mbc0

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a thinkware u1000 duo and was looking for the largest capacity battery for the least amount of money and found the iRoad Power Pack Plus 13,600ma Perfect! (I though)

The problem I have is that the battery charges from 01% to 100% in less than 10 minutes with an input voltage of 14.4V (even in standard charge mode, not fast charge mode)

I have been unsuccessful in getting a response from the ebay seller as I suspect this is a faulty unit, I have also emailed iRoad a few days ago but still awaiting a reply.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? I have tried ACC & B+ charging mode with no change, unfortunately these modes are not mentioned in the documentation so I do not understand them.

I am expecting I will be returning this, if so, can anyone recommend (from experience) a good battery around the same capacity?

Many thanks in advance!

I dont think anything wrong with the battery. A 13,6A battery is very small. My 100A lithium battery always stay fully charged. A Blackvue is connected 24/7 and the car is driven for 40 km a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 13,6A battery is very small.
Disagree, this has a capacity of 174.08 Wh, which should power any setup for 24 hours, and most for a lot longer.

from 01% to 100% in less than 10 minutes with an input voltage of 14.4V
That is too fast for any battery to reliably charge, you need a capacitor to charge that fast, so yes, there is a fault somewhere.

I think it must be a faulty battery if it is actually reporting 1 - 100% in 10 minutes, no mistake in your wiring could cause that.

Disagree, this has a capacity of 174.08 Wh, which should power any setup for 24 hours, and most for a lot longer.

That is too fast for any battery to reliably charge, you need a capacitor to charge that fast, so yes, there is a fault somewhere.

I think it must be a faulty battery if it is actually reporting 1 - 100% in 10 minutes, no mistake in your wiring could cause that.
I agree, most are much smaller than 13,600ma I believe this to be faulty/old/used or a combination of the 3!

Thank you, my thoughts also

I would buy this and the extendable battery in a heartbeat but as far as I can see (I have messaged them) there is no way of monitoring the battery? no app/bluetooth. It would be installed under the false floor in the boot so no way of checking status without emptying my boot?

Indeed they dont seem to be smart in that way.
But your car battery also dont have a feature like that, and it get on just fine, so personally i would not mind those missing smarts, but i am also very much not like most other people in regard to APP use or phone use.

Indeed they dont seem to be smart in that way.
But your car battery also dont have a feature like that, and it get on just fine, so personally i would not mind those missing smarts, but i am also very much not like most other people in regard to APP use or phone use.
My personal reason for this is that I do very varied journeys and the amount of charge I have in the power pack would determine what mode I would use for parking mode. If I have a full battery I could use motion detection, if not very much then I would use radar. Unless I am not understanding the parking modes correctly, motion detection would be better than radar mode? For example, the rear camera is not activated if someone tries to break into my boot as the radar is on the front of the car.

I think ( not familiar with blackvue or thinkware systems that have the radar option )
But the radar when in use allow the system to deep sleep saving on power, but when it detect something and wake up the system i would assume it wake up all of the cameras.
But it is a fact that at some time 2 channel systems could some times leave out the rear camera when the front detected motion, but i think the norm now are all cameras come in no matter what the trigger is

I am personally using low bitrate for parking mode, meaning the camera record in low bitrate all the time, and so dont need any triggers, but that of course mean there are no deep sleep power savings, which is also okay as i just use parking guard for 1 hour on the timer, that cover all my shopping and at home i have CCTV on my parked car,,,,,, even if i live in a 2 floor apartment and park in the back yard.
bil.jpg

As i understand it the radar are really just a means to get more parking guard time for your power, and it do seem to extend the amount of time dramatic.

I am in with a kickstarter dashcam that also have radar build in, and in the version i have will have 4K both front and rear + a SIM card for all those smart things.

But it will be a few months before i get to try my first smart dashcam

Last edited:
My CCTV camera have smart motion detect, so only something human or vehicle shaped very close to my car would set off a notification on my phone and tablet on my bedside table.
Even if i was able to reach a dashcam they in their current form do not offer such AI smarts, so would most likely kick out frequent false alerts, which is no good when you value your sleep as i do suffering from a decade long sleep disorder, so when i finally sleep i dont want to be woken up by nothing i dont need to be woken for.
Also the back yard are pretty dark at night so a dashcam would see nothing, even more so with dew on the windscreen like there was before my short drive this morning.

Of course that is only at home, out and about i would have to lean on the dashcam, fortunately for me i dont get much out and about where parking guard would be preferred, even at my friends house there is CCTV coverage too, though he do not utilize its smarts like i do with my home system, but i can access his system from my phone at any time.
of course he have the 2 dogs for motion detect, a mastiff / rottweiler mix and a pure rottweiler, and funny enough both of them watch his TV screen with the CCTV footage running on it, and bark if there are anything new there :LOL:

@kamkar

Thanks for your replies, very good information!

With the radar, both cameras do indeed get activated but for the radar to detect motion it has to be at the front of the car (where the radar is facing) so I think the low bitrate mode would indeed be a better option!

Indeed, i have not seen a dual radar camera yet, so this far if possible it will be best to position your radar equipped car with the front facing in the probable direction of trouble.
This imply reversing, which many dont seem to like, for me it is my favorite gear but also the only gear where in i have made dents in my car, so it is a love / hate relationship

Or just use always recording low bitrate if possible, i also have G sensor on to lock any actual events, cuz the low bitrate recordings are treated as regular footage, so it will eventually be recycled too.
But with a 256GB card i dont find this a issue, even if i was to use longer duration parking guard.

Back