Is mobius still the king of dash cams?

not really. Just Mobius

Original name of Mobius was 808 #16.

The original key chain camera started with version 808 #1 and went up to version #32. (not all were produced by the developer of the Mobius). The name 808 was inspired by the number 8 (and 88 as well as 888) which is considered an auspicious number in Chinese culture that means good luck, prosperity and good fortune. The number 8 is considered to be the luckiest number in Chinese culture. The number inspired China to start the 2008 Olympics at 8:08 PM on 8/8/08 which in turn was used for the camera.

The Mobius was a different class of camera (40 gram vs the 20 gram 808 key chain versions).

Last edited:
Mobius 1 - Out of Stock

1668595966963.png1668595990246.png

1668596058810.png

That's a shame, as I'd have thought that this excellent little camera would be in high demand
We are hoping there will soon be a replacement, but as usual there is no official news.

They are out of stock at the main seller eletoponline365, and in the UK at Webbex. I can't find any at the other official resellers worldwide either.

as usual you can write to eletoponline365, sometimes they do have few pcc in stock they don't advertise on ebay. Maybe just the motherboard.
I am rather suprised that they could made them for such a long time, having seen many cameras going out of production due to components obsolescence (m2, mini, 808#32..)

as usual you can write to eletoponline365, sometimes they do have few pcc in stock they don't advertise on ebay. Maybe just the motherboard.
I am rather suprised that they could made them for such a long time, having seen many cameras going out of production due to components obsolescence (m2, mini, 808#32..)

Interestingly, the AR0330 sensor is still manufactured and available. The company that originally produced it (Aptina) merged with OnSemi and they still list a number of versions of it as "active".

AR0330 - CMOS Image Sensor, 3 MP, 1/3"

Last edited:
Interestingly, the AR0330 sensor is still manufactured and available. The company that originally produced it (Aptina) merged with OnSemi and they still list a number of versions of it as "active".

AR0330 - CMOS Image Sensor, 3 MP, 1/3"

Dunno which version of that sensor Family Mobius use, but I notice that some are labelled as ''last shipment''....
Might be price issue or some other component though.

Attachments

• sensor m1.png
    sensor m1.png
    119 KB · Views: 5
Dunno which version of that sensor Family Mobius use, but I notice that some are labelled as ''last shipment''....
Might be price issue or some other component though.
Yeah, that's why I said, "they still list a number of versions of it as "active".

Could be the processor even if the sensor they use is still available? In any event, I was surprised that any version of that old sensor is still available.

Whether it's the processor or the sensor, I agree that the M1 has had a very long shelf life. Mobius have certainly benefitted from the source components remaining available for so long.

When the M1 was launched in June 2013, GoPro were selling the Hero 3. The disappointing thing is that whilst GoPro and many other camera manufacturers moved onwards and upwards with newer models, Mobius released a number of could-have-been better models that were all hampered in one way or another, all whilst the venerable M1 kept on selling in the background.

Having said that, there's a lot to like about the MM4K as a general purpose 4K action camera, if you want a matchbox shape without a screen. The size, weight, battery life, image quality, customisable parameters and the ability to accommodate third-party lenses tick a lot of boxes for the right customer. My only issue with the MM4K has been auto start record reliability when used as a dashcam. I have not really looked into what the competition offers though in a similar format at a similar price point.

I think a new version is on the way

Any news about the new Mobius? I'd like a new dashcam after reviewing video from my original Mobius recently and realizing that reading license plates was a difficult task. Was great when I bought it years ago but now it needs an update.

I miss those keyring cams

No, nothing yet. Waiting for it to appear on the eBay store https://www.ebay.com/str/eletoponline365
Bummer. How long has the wait been since the "announcement" or whatever it was about the new Mobius?

I am OK holding off for now, but viewing some of the footage after a long time of not doing so on my OG Mobius was pretty disappointing in the video quality (even during day).

oh, very hard to predict a timeframe. In the past there were rather short timeframe but also superlong (like for the 808#32). Just remember Chinese NY is beginning of feb (everything slows down beforehand) and there might be some supply/production issues right now in China due to covid lockdown. Thus IMHO either is popping out soon or late feb-march (or even later, who knows).

These are good points. Well, I have used the OG mobius for almost 8 years now, so what's another few months, h
a.

Back