Is my SG9665GC Counterfeit

BigSky

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought, from what I thought was a reputable online retailer, what I thought was a Street Guardian SG9665GC. It was my impression this unit is metal. The one I received is plastic. Do I have a counterfeit/fake SG?

I just bought, from what I thought was a reputable online retailer, what I thought was a Street Guardian SG9665GC. It was my impression this unit is metal. The one I received is plastic. Do I have a counterfeit/fake SG?

The camera is plastic, the lens barrel and module are metal. (hence the improved temperature tolerances)

As far as I am aware, there are no counterfeit Street Guardians but other cameras on the market do use the same plastic housing. (some are also well regarded name brands such as the Viofo A118 series)

Any link to online store you bought from?

Thank you Dashmellow. As I said, this came from a "reputable" dealer who is a member here. I never read, previously, the distinction between camera housing material and lens barrel and module material. I feel much better. Be well.

niko, based on the previous response and my desire not to cast any unnecessary aspersions on the dealer, I hope you understand why I won't disclose it now. Up to my receipt of the camera they have been a great online retailer with whom to deal and my concerns have now been put to rest.

Thank you Dashmellow. As I said, this came from a "reputable" dealer who is a member here. I never read, previously, the distinction between camera housing material and lens barrel and module material. I feel much better. Be well.

Which vendor?

Thank you again. It always helps to ask the experts; or, at least, those who know more. Yes, misspelling is correct. It should read Blackboxmycar.

a complete metal housing would be very expensive and heavy, would tear the mount off the window if you went over a large bump.

a complete metal housing would be very expensive and heavy, would tear the mount off the window if you went over a large bump.
Those sorts of things are easily overcome, if it was a metal housing it would act as a heatsoak and would have far greater problems

Not so sure about that as 3M VHB tape of the size used on the mounting plate of this camera would actually secure an object weighing several pounds.

Wouldn't be anywhere near that heavy, would add about 20 grams

Yes, that's pretty much what I'm was trying to say. Something like an aluminum housing shouldn't be a problem for the 3M tape at all. I was referring to the rated bonding power per square inch of 3M VHB tapes.

Being black and in the window it would absorb more heat than it would radiate

OK, I see your point. Then again, it might be an interesting idea to design a camera with certain housing parts that would inherently act as a heat sink for improved cooling; perhaps on the back of the device.

Wouldn't the back be even more adversely affected by sunload during the day? Air circulation is probably also an issue in the area where most of tend to mount dashcams.

KuoH

Then again, it might be an interesting idea to design a camera with certain housing parts that would inherently act as a heat sink for improved cooling; perhaps on the back of the device.

Wouldn't the back be even more adversely affected by sunload during the day? Air circulation is probably also an issue in the area where most of tend to mount dashcams.

KuoH

Dunno. I think it would need some testing. I'm thinking there could be a design that would help with cooling, perhaps with integrated slots or short fins?

I'm thinking about something like the larger metal heat sinks on the Mobius cam for instance that perform an excellent job in cooling the processor they are connected to.

OK, I see your point. Then again, it might be an interesting idea to design a camera with certain housing parts that would inherently act as a heat sink for improved cooling; perhaps on the back of the device.
If it was a hideaway model where the main unit is not in direct sunlight then a metal housing could indeed be an effective heatsink

Dunno. I think it would need some testing. I'm thinking there could be a design that would help with cooling, perhaps with integrated slots or short fins?

I'm thinking about something like the larger metal heat sinks on the Mobius cam for instance that perform an excellent job in cooling the processor they are connected to.
Personally I don't feel the heatsink used on the Mobius is necessary, other products running the same hardware in more restrictive layouts have proven to be no issue over time

Back