Is the quality meant to be this poor?

LS430

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased and installed the VIOFO A129 Pro (single, front camera) and I am wondering why the quality of my recordings are so low.

These are my settings:
Resolution: 1440p 60FPS
Bitrate: High
WDR: Off
WiFi: Off (I heard this being on will decrease quality)
Recording in standard H.264 mode.

The camera is set to record in 1 minute intervals and each file is around the 260MB size, with a bitrate of 34405kbps when viewed in Windows 10.

I was expecting much more from this camera than the quality it gave as you can barely read number plates of vehicles in front of closely passing. Is this a user error or is this how the camera is?

I have uploaded a few screenshots of what the footage looks like in VLC (looks the same in all video players) as well as posted a link to a YouTube video of the entire clip - this will further reduce quality due to compression, but it's bad either way.

Image #1: https://ibb.co/hWxFkJH
Image #2: https://ibb.co/6PTpZtY
Image #3: https://ibb.co/kmG1Q3r

Video (This may still be processing, so wait until it is 1440p60FPS):

Most of what I'm seeing is compression artifacts. Hard to say who's fault that is since it is on Youtube, and Youtube re-compresses everything.
I prefer the quality of 4k 30 on my A129 pro cameras. 4K is the native resolution of the sensor, and using the native resolution always seems to get better results than a scaled image. Wide angle lens in combination with compression still kills the license plates of oncoming cars though.

This is not normal, mine looks nothing like this.

What firmware are you using and have you set it to factory defaults? It looks like the film is still on the lens.

I have same bad quality with my brand new Viofo A129 Pro Duo, and My camera's wifi just stopped working.

You should use the best bitrate / image quality.
You should only use 30 FPS, this mean your bitrate are spread thicker across the footage so to say.

I think i know what your problem are, but can not judge it by youtube upload as their encoding only aggravate problems in the original footage.

I do think "they" should make dashcams with action camera level bitrates, but then file size just explode to HUGE, so you will also need something more substantial then a little memory card to save onto ( even if that is what action cameras do )

I have the same camera A129 Pro Duo and only currently using the main camera with CPL filter and WDR enabled with H.265.

For 6 months I had it on 1440p@60fps and when I needed to view a rego, i realized how bad the quality was.
Changed it to 4k@30fps and the camera is working perfectly. Captures rego plates thats legible from cars travelling on the 2nd lane, which is predominately what i want. Rego plates.

I feel there is still alot of compression noise though and significant improvements need to be done with post processing.
My current setttings are now:

Resolution: 4k@30fps
WDR: enabled
CPL Filter
everything else left at default.

This scene would be challenging even for a real camera. Shooting against the sun is as bad as it can get. Maybe the raw footage is better...

Back