Is This Possible?

oo7ml

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi, i am looking for a dash cam that will do the following... can someone confirm if 01 and 02 is possible?

01 - auto record when the car is turned off
02 - auto charge the camera battery when the car is on
03 - loop record (just records over old footage when it runs out of space

Thanks in advance for your help.

I may have found a way to do this by mistake. I plugged my camera into one of those external power banks. And I had the power bank charging from the car socket.

When the car is on it charges the power bank, but the power bank won't power anything plugged into it.
When the car is off the power bank will power things plugged into it.

Actually I'm not 100% sure what happens in a full car-on car-off cycle. It might be necessary to unplug then replug the camera. I didn't test this as I didn't need to.
But maybe one model or another of powerbank will do what you need. With the bonus of extra capacity.

Hi, i am looking for a dash cam that will do the following... can someone confirm if 01 and 02 is possible?

The Gitup Git1 nearly does that, but it only has auto start record when the car is turned on, when you turn the car off it carries on recording for the time you specify or until it's battery is empty. Battery lasts about 2 hours.

What is your budget and DIY / hardwiring skills ?

Agree with Niko. Seems like you are asking for some kind of DIY power addition, to extend beyond the dash cam capacitor or battery.
Question 1 can be done with primary or auxiliary battery. How long you want the dash cam to run while the car is off will determine the size the battery needs to be. Minutes, few hours, overnight, days?? There are several battery protection systems that will cut off the power, but your time requirement has to meet the capacity of the battery drain.
Question 2 can be done, but again requires some DIY wiring with isolation controller. Install could be provided by an automotive sound system shop, if you wanted to hire the work.
Question 3 Many dash cams do this automatically if you keep the 12V applied. Again relies on the battery connection.

@oo7ml , may I ask what for do you need specified request "02" ?

@ #02 and #03 most battery based dashcams do this.
@ #01, - Am I right you trying to have dashcam system where it switches automatically into parking mode ( motion detection ) recording when you turn of the engine ?

isn't this the opposite operation that a dash cam is designed for? why would you want to do this?

isn't this the opposite operation that a dash cam is designed for? why would you want to do this?

I think OP meant normal recording when car engine starts and also @ #01 to have dashcam continue recording even after car engine is turned off, hence my above questions to see if he want an automatic switch to parking / motion detection or continuing a normal recording while car is parked ?

01 - use a relay

connect the camera to the common

normally open to the ignition

normally closed to a fused positive

one side of the relay coil to earth

other side to the ignition.

camera just continues recording when ignition is turned off and a switch can be added to control it if you want to turn it off when the ignition is off...

Thanks guys.

Basically i just want the camera recording when the car is parked up... which i have now found out is called 'parking mode'.

The reason i asked if it was possible to charge when driving is that i didn't want the camera draining the car battery when it is parked up, however a power manager will sort that.

I think this camera (with it's battery power manager), will do just that, with 20 hours battery.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collec...750lw-2ch-wifi-16gb-32gb-64gb-english-version

Any suggestions or opinions on this... thanks again for all of your help.

if you're looking at that kind of budget have a look at the Lukas cameras, better product than the Blackvue

Great, thanks.

Why are they a better product? Thanks again for your help.

that one you selected is not a great model, you're not spoilt for choice in dual channel unfortunately

Thank you. What would be your choice of camera for $500

The main reason i want a camera is to record footage when the car is parked up (parking mode).

if you're in Ireland the climate is not too bad so having a camera working in a locked car is more feasible that it is for us in Australia, where you want to buy from will influence how far you can go with $500 and which currency, USD, Euro?

Anywhere around the $500 mark is fine... i don't mind if it goes above it.

I want the camera for parking mode more than anything else.

Just know those days where there is rain and what not on your windscreen, then your parking guard will be rendered useless.

Thats the #1 reason as to why i have not been over the top with getting parking guard myself, this time of year not least here in Denmark i feel little need for parking guard.
Though my car is / was brand new when i got it and i paied for 2 but only got 1 car due to our shamefull taxes, i an not too bothered with my car and how it look, i just need it to start when i turn the key, not use too much of our allso expensive gasoline, and make so i dont have to walk from A -> B or take public transport.

Thanks... my car is parked in an underground car park at night so the rain won't affect it.

My only worry is that a camera on display could be an actual reason for someone to break into your car.

Just know those days where there is rain and what not on your windscreen, then your parking guard will be rendered useless.

Rain isn't a problem, aside from droplets triggering the motion detection as they roll down the screen. Condensation / misting / snow / iced-up windows are bigger problems. Oh cr*p, this post will inevitably attract comment by petepete with his exterior-mounted lens solution :confused:

image.jpg

I agree, rain is not a big deal. The other issues @russ31 mentions are a bigger headache.

Here are a couple of my own examples. Even when it begins to rain quite heavily and you get big droplets you can see and record what is happening in front of the camera,

rain.jpg

rains2.jpg

Last edited:
Back