Is it possible to power a 522GW with USB-A ?

FrYzZ

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi everyone,

I'm new in the Dashcam game and i would like to know if it's possible to power a Nextbase 522GW with a rear window cam...

I currently have a "Varta Car Charger Dual USB" and it has a USB type C that I'm using to charge my phone and a USB type A (2.4 Amps) that I would like to use to power a 522GW with a rear window cam.

Is that possible and what cable should I use? I'm concerned because the official Nextbase cable has a 12Vdc - 24Vdc input and a 5Vdc 1.4 Amps mini USB output...

I'm scared to buy a random USB-A to Mini-USB cable that could maybe "break" the dashcam cause it just take the 2.4 amps from my car and that it's made to take an input of 1.5 amps only...

Any help and recommendation would be really appreciated!

Thanks

I'm scared to buy a random USB-A to Mini-USB cable that could maybe "break" the dashcam cause it just take the 2.4 amps from my car and that it's made to take an input of 1.5 amps only...
You should have nothing to worry about. USB powered devices will only draw as much current as they are designed for. Your charger has the capability to provide up to 2.4A but if the camera (or any device) only requires 1.0A,1.5A or 2.0A then that's what it will draw. I regularly use a 2.4A charger for my phone which by specification requires 1.5A, and using a meter to measure the current draw it does draw a maximum of 1.5A., many times less depending on the battery charge level. I also use the same charger to test multiple dash cams and never had an issue.

I've powered all my dashcams indoors with both mobile phone chargers and powerbanks to set them up, including 3 Nextbase models.

Back