ITB-100HD Operating temperature.

bork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine runs very hot after only about 20 minutes use, even when the ambient temperature is pretty cold. Same using both firmware 2.0 and 2.1.

If I touch the back of the unit, it just seems far to hot to be healthy for an electronic device.

Do they all do this? Should I stop worrying.

Was considering drilling some cooling holes in the back of the casing to help keep the temperature down a bit.

bork said:
Mine runs very hot after only about 20 minutes use, even when the ambient temperature is pretty cold. Same using both firmware 2.0 and 2.1.

If I touch the back of the unit, it just seems far to hot to be healthy for an electronic device.

Do they all do this? Should I stop worrying.

Was considering drilling some cooling holes in the back of the casing to help keep the temperature down a bit.

I am awaiting mine to arrive any day now. Actually I think it's at the post office but I will have to wait until Monday after work to pick it up so I am following every post and have read all that I can find about this unit. Maybe you could mount a computer fan next to it so it would blow air across it. I would say you are right to be concerned about any heat problem. Many of those fans are small enough and silent enough not to be any annoyance.

Cheers - mounting a fan wouldn't be practical for me but it's a great idea.

I was really just wondering if they all run hot...if so then it's probably ok as they're designed to run at such temperatures - just seems a bit too hot and in summer I'm sure it'll get worse.

I was considering drilling a small matrix of holes in the back if/when I take the back of the case off to drill out the microphone hole a little. I'm sure this would help cool the unit a bit, I'd just have to be careful keeping dust off the unit.

bork said:

I was really just wondering if they all run hot...if so then it's probably ok as they're designed to run at such temperatures - just seems a bit too hot and in summer I'm sure it'll get worse.

I was considering drilling a small matrix of holes in the back if/when I take the back of the case off to drill out the microphone hole a little. I'm sure this would help cool the unit a bit, I'd just have to be careful keeping dust off the unit.

I think the hole idea is a good one. I don't think it was "designed" to run at a high temp. I think it is most likely a side effect and will have to be acceptable. Cooler will definitely result in longer life IMO.

Good luck.

Al Drake said:
bork said:

I think the hole idea is a good one. I don't think it was "designed" to run at a high temp. I think it is most likely a side effect and will have to be acceptable. Cooler will definitely result in longer life IMO.

Good luck.

The itb100hd on paper is able to handle temperature up to 70 ºC or 158 ºF. On some SD card on paper is able to handle heat up to 80ºC. Assuming the DVR is still operational at 85 ºC or 185 ºF, the question now is can the SD card handle the heat without card flexing or melting? So which item will be likely to break first... I think the SD card. Do they have a stronger SD card or microsd to SD adapter to fully test?

hi,
if you say it gets too hot to touch while the ambient temp is fairly low, then that's not normal.

i'm from australia so we have blaring sun,

the itb-100hd if it gets too hot should keep beeping to let you know something is wrong (3 beep, even though its memory card error)
if i have mine in the sun too long the len gets soo hot that it's pretty hard to touch it.
i've also drilled a matrix of holes on the back, and 3 smaller ones in the front and side to hopefully help it cool down a bit, it might work if the car is on with the aircon blowing towards it, but my guess if there are no air movement the holes don't do THAT much as my ambient temp will be fairly high. But in your case it might help.

sambo135 said:
hi,
if you say it gets too hot to touch while the ambient temp is fairly low, then that's not normal.

i'm from australia so we have blaring sun,

the itb-100hd if it gets too hot should keep beeping to let you know something is wrong (3 beep, even though its memory card error)
if i have mine in the sun too long the len gets soo hot that it's pretty hard to touch it.
i've also drilled a matrix of holes on the back, and 3 smaller ones in the front and side to hopefully help it cool down a bit, it might work if the car is on with the aircon blowing towards it, but my guess if there are no air movement the holes don't do THAT much as my ambient temp will be fairly high. But in your case it might help.

I'm curious how hot does your car's interior gets after parking in the baking sun for an entire afternoon? My car's highest recorded interior temperature is 68°C.

i don't actually have a thermometer in the car, so i'm not 100% sure, but the sun is facing the camera lens and the lens gets to the point where it hurts to touch it.
i'll try get a temp one day.

The Itronics chipset is on the back of the camera so it will be never exposed to direct sunlight. But you still must to avoid direct sun no matter what camera are you using so this is another reason why I always recommend to mount the dashcam in the most upper possible position. The roof or the windshield black dots will protect the camera.
And I consider a good thing the case to pe warm because I hope it will work as a radiator, cooling the chipset.
As Mitch wrote, if the SD Card which is near the chipset will not melt, then we should not worry.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back